Any EDC heavy guns like Sig P228

This is a discussion on Any EDC heavy guns like Sig P228 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you guys carry a Sig P228 or another gun as heavy as it (38 ounces or more loaded) all day everyday? If so, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any EDC heavy guns like Sig P228

Any of you guys carry a Sig P228 or another gun as heavy as it (38 ounces or more loaded) all day everyday? If so, what gun do you carry, how heavy is it, what holster do you use and how comfortable is it? What belt do you use? I saw some even need to wear suspenders. I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

My EDC during the week is a Sig P239 in . 40S&W or a Glock 36. I carry them both in a deep concealment shoulder holster. (think all nylon belly band that rides across your chest with shoulder straps). I can also carry my P229 in that same holster. It is doable, but you never forget it's there. On the weekends (when I can have my shirt untucked), I carry either a P220 Carry SAO or the P229 in a leather pancake OWB holster. My belt is a cheapish leather belt from Academy and it is quite comfortable. If I could have my shirt untucked during the week, I would carry the P220 or P229 every day of the week, no problems.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    Yes, the P228 itself, in fact. It can be done. Lighter is better for carrying, but heavier is better for shooting... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yes, the P228 itself, in fact.
    What holster do you use?

Administrator
    Yup, I carry a 228. Right now, I'm on High Noon products the Slide Guard and Public Secret along with their Rock Steady belt. Don't skimp on the belt like a lot of people do, it makes a big difference.

I also have another holster from Dukalmighty, but I haven't been able to give it a fair shake down yet. I have some from CompTac and other makers as well, but so far, the High Noon's are what I like best.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 12th, 2010 at 09:40 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When home, I carry a P229/.40 in either a Blackhawk SERPA, UBG Canute IWB, or UBG Bonneville OWB using a 5.11 belt (no suspenders)...plus a spare mag.

I've also changed this up with a P226/.40...and similar holsters.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I carry a Stainless SIG P-220R. A P-228 is light!

Milt Sparks makes it comfortable!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yes sir,
    I alternate Sig P226 and a Sig P220 in a Tucker HF-1 OWB with a Beltman 1-1/2" belt.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I switch up between a P228 and a Glock 23. The 228 spends the most time in a Mitch Rosen Premier Snap OWB. Rides high and tight to the body. I also use a Galco Summer Special IWB, and just recieved a great deal on a FIST #1A IWB with a thumbbreak, still evaluating it as a EDC holster. The 23 rides offduty in aHBE Com III, which is an excellent example of a IWB. On duty it rides in a Blade-Tech Paddle holster. I dont skimp on quality gear for my weapons. No cheapo holsters, or belts.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    What holster do you use?
    Several. I have two UBG rigs (one IWB and one OWB, the IWB sees much more use), a Safariland model 560-54 OWB paddle (when I'm working, and wearing a coat), and Bladetech and Blackhawk kydex for "serious" duty. I also have Safariland drop-leg and Bladetech chest armor set ups, but those are outside the scope of "concealed" carry.

I like the wide loops on my UBG rigs - they help distribute the weight of the weapon well, and keep it very stable on the belt. Nate makes an excellent product at reasonable prices, though there are a number of very good holster makers out there right now.

I've also used the MSP paddle from Kramer, and recommend it as well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I carry a Sig P220R, usually in a duty holster, but when off duty, I carry it in either a Bianchi Accumold paddle holster (for OC), or a CBST (for CC). I usually use just a regular belt, but I do sometimes use my CB belt. It holds the weight better, but is a little less comfortable.

The P228 is definitely not too heavy to carry.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    I carry a 1911 most of the time, I have the light weight frame but I would guess it is right around 38 ounces loaded... I use a very inexpensive slim tuckable holster from Ace case ($10) and a 1.5 inch wide 1/8" thick belt which is pretty stiff from levis (got it for 10$ at Burlington Coat factory about a year ago). I agree that you do not forget you are carrying however it is not uncomfortable, the belt made the biggest difference for me.

I carried a S&W 4006 for about 4 yrs. Mostly in a Bianchi SOB holster w/a LGS belt.

Switched to a 1911 5" and carried that in a LGS no name OWB holster.

Now its lighter weight poly guns for me.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I either used a Supertuck or a Summer Comfort.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I carry a full sized 1911 everyday and it's pretty close to that weight mark a little under but close enough. I run my own IWB rig for it and a good thick double thickness belt.

This is my normal carry loadout, the only thing that really varies is sometimes I carry a IWB double mag carrier rather than the flashlight combo. I haven't decided which I prefer yet, kinda leaning back towards light clipped on off hand pocket.

http://adamsholsters.com/forumimages/luke-a-1911edc.jpg

All of that said if you've got a good solid belt, then you just need a good holster that will spread out the weight on the belt. Really everyone is different so some holsters seem to work better for some people then others but try some options and get some good holsters.

Advice if you want to test holsters without a drawer of rigs. Two fold, buy from a maker who will take their gear back if you don't like it, or buy used. The second option requires more work on your part but you can pick up good used rigs for fairly cheap and if you don't like it just resell it and move on. Allot of guys keep those holsters(I'm guilty!) but if your not going to use it pass it on, it might be the cat's meow for the next guy:)

Good luck!

Luke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links