Can Kydex be Welded?

This is a discussion on Can Kydex be Welded? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can kydex be Welded? I need a sleeve holster for my cell phone to stop the thing from self dialing. I carry it in a ...

Thread: Can Kydex be Welded?

Can Kydex be Welded?

Can kydex be Welded?

I need a sleeve holster for my cell phone to stop the thing from self dialing. I carry it in a pocket that cannot take screws or rivets, so I am thinking about kydex and welding the sides together. That is IF a weld would hold it.

I'm thinking about cutting some dove joints to reduce the strain on the wield. Of course I am doing all this planning without ever holding a raw piece of kydex. But it should be a simple first project, right?

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty sure that plastic epoxy cement will glue it together,I've seen clips that are glued on
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maybe some JB Weld will do the trick?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

try a test patch

I have not worked with kydex in this manner at all. That being said I have a feeling MEK- Methyl Ethyl Ketone would stand a good chance of welding a kydex seem together. If I had some kydex lying around I would try it for you, unfortunantly I don't. You could always try it, worst case is you end up with some gooey glob you need to pitch. If one were to attempt it the process would be to apply the MEK with a non linting applicator like a wool daubber seen in pvc cement cans to both surfaces. the plastic should soften at this point reapply another layer of MEK and press and clamp joining surfaces and let sit. Be sure to wear chem gloves and eyes MEK is not a nice solvent and Be careful of MEKP Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide which is commonly used to activate polyester resin in fiberglass. That stuff will cause serious problems if t comes in contact with skin or eyes.

Yes, it can. Get a good plastic welding gun and kit and teach yourself first on some spare material.

Kydex is thermoelastic and should be relatively easy to do.

It takes special settings and welding rod for each kind, though. Make sure the kit you buy has the right kind of rod.

From their website:

KYDEX® sheet can be formed on all standard presses, and can be joined to itself or to other materials by hot gas welding, hot blade welding, solvent cementing, and mechanical fastening.

Yes it can, but you may not have to.

If you're committed to the attempt, the advice above is sage, but to make a simple "anti-dial" holster for a cell phone, simply wrap the Kydex from the base up in a non-closing "clamshell" around the bottom, front, and back of the phone (leaving the sides open and "unwelded"). When it cools (hardens), it will hold securely and be easy to remove.

Unless I completely missed what you're driving at...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Thanks for all the excellent advice. Now for a trip to my local hobby super store.

Also PVC adhesive for pipes seems to work fairly well with kydex in my opinion. Pending your still going down that path;)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Links