Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please - Page 2

Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please

This is a discussion on Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying my 5" full size 1911 in a Galco Ccp Concealed Carry Paddle. This holster allows you to adjust the degree of cant, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been carrying my 5" full size 1911 in a Galco Ccp Concealed Carry Paddle. This holster allows you to adjust the degree of cant, either forward or back (see Pics., these are straight from Galco's web site.

I find a forward cant suits me fine.

This is a paddle out of the waist band holster.

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg
    Last edited by bruce272; May 14th, 2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Still can't type for ****
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

I prefer no cant, which is sometimes hard to find. I wear my gun a little farther forward than a lot of people (9:00) (I'm a lefty), so no cant makes the butt much easier to grab. I like OWB Kydex paddles and belt slides.

Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please

I prefer can't. Smaller guy and it's WAY easier to conceal.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'd like to help but I cant.

Get it? Huh?

(Woooooooo...MAN I'm funny!)
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Been a while since Ive been on the site but: Myopinion is that your BEST bet is a holter with adjustable cant for concealment AND for easier drawing. I personally find it easier to draw and conceal with a forward cant.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

VIP Member
    Forward cant for high ride holsters and IWB holsters, straight drop for lower riding holsters. That works for me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I made Grady a holster with a 40 degree cant,he loves it,if you do a lot of sitting like me a forward cant is really needed,I usually make holsters with at least a 15 and normally 20 degree cant
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use a High Noon Public Secret which has no cant. I carry in the appedix posistion so it works well for me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's kind of a personal thing. Depends on your body type, too.
    That. Experiment a little before settling on what feels comfortable and is most concealable.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    I am considering two different High Noon products for IWB tuckable carry of a Glock 26. One has zero cant (upright) positioning and the other has a 15 degree forward cant. I am tending toward the one with the forward cant for easier draw and thinking that the pistol will sit tighter to the body being easier to conceal. What is your preference and why ? Thanks for the input.
    Carry position, carry position, carry position. 15 degrees of cant is just about right for most folks, who carry behind the point of the hip, about 0330 to 0400. Further back indicates more cant may be better. Straight draw is for folks who carry a bit more forward, such as 0300 or more forward, to centerline. Other factors enter into this, such as length of the arms relative to length of torso, and whether one tends to bend forward at the waist during the draw. As Thumper mentioned, lower-riding holsters can be better if closet to vertical.

All else being equal, a bit of cant does tend to hide the butt of a handgun better, but it can make the rear of the slide of striker-fired guns poke out. When I carried a duty Glock from 2002-2004, I occasionally carried it concealed, and found concealed best when straight vertical; I could hide the butt easier than the rear of the slide. I now use P229s, and since they don't have that honkin' rear of the slide sticking way out, a bit of cant is nice, to tuck the butt inward a bit.

With a slim 1911, either straight-draw or a very slight cant is fine. I miss concealing a 1911; I have been concealing fat-butt pistols too long now. Ah, well, I like to carry on my own time what I use on duty, so double-stack forties are what it will be for a while.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 16th, 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typos

I prefer a forward cant it is easier for me to draw at 4:00 and conceals better.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

For me with a bit of love handles, a forward can't conceals the butt much better, breaks it up a bit.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    Cant or No Cant in holster - What is your preference and why ?
    In all but a couple IWB and OWB holsters that I've ever had built, they have all been canted forward. The shape of my hip at the point where I like wearing the gun seems to allow for greater concealment and comfort if I have about ~20 forward cant.

YMMV, of course, depending on where your hip's bones protrude, how much padding you've got, where you carry the gun, how heavy/sharp/thick your gun is, and somewhat based on the holster's design. Note that a wider/flatter holster, one designed to spread the load, can be plenty comfortable and even alter the degree of concealability based on how sturdy of a platform it creates for the gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links