Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please

This is a discussion on Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering two different High Noon products for IWB tuckable carry of a Glock 26. One has zero cant (upright) positioning and the other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant or No Cant in holster - your input please

I am considering two different High Noon products for IWB tuckable carry of a Glock 26. One has zero cant (upright) positioning and the other has a 15 degree forward cant. I am tending toward the one with the forward cant for easier draw and thinking that the pistol will sit tighter to the body being easier to conceal. What is your preference and why ? Thanks for the input.

I have a C-TAC that is adjustable. I keep it canted forward. It is more comfortable for me, especially when sitting. imo it keeps the weapon more concealable because of how the grip sits more inline with my body vs. pointed more out the back.
    As far as draw, imo, it doesn't make a diffence.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

AzB
    I agree with Steve, some cant helps conceal the gun allowing a much larger gun to be carried. If you're carrying a really small gun, it won't make much difference.

Depending on where the holster is located, draw can be easier with some cant. If you carry at 4:30-6:00, it's a lot easier to draw with cant. If you carry at 3:00, it won't make much difference.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I prefer a cant for IWB at 3:00 - 4:00 O'clock, but no cant if carrying IWB appendix carry.

I prefer quite a bit of cant. I like holsters that have adjustability. Not all holsters conceal the same at similar cant angles. I have never liked straight drop. JMO.

Assuming we're talking about right-handed holsters at the beltline:

A straight up holster worn at 3:00 is the fastest to draw if you're standing up with your hands at your sides...

but it makes quite a bulge to the side...

so you might want to shift it back to 4:00 so it hides better behind the point of the hip...

but if you sit down, the butt will rotate back and jam into the back of the seat, forcing you to sit forward, and in that orientation you have to draw back towards the seat-back, so you have to slide forward even more to give yourself space to draw...

so you'll need to cant the gun forward so that, when seated, the butt clears the seat-back of whatever you're sitting in (office chair, car seat, etc.), and you're clear to make a straight-up draw...

but when you stand up the gun is rotated forward, so you can't draw straight up, you have to draw forward.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

It's kind of a personal thing. Depends on your body type, too.

I prefer 0 cant, but that's just me, YMMV.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I made the mistake of getting a IWB with zero cant. I usually wear it at @3:30-4:00 and a forward cant would conceal better and make drawing slightly easier. I get by, but would order forward cant on the next one. An adjustable cant will allow you to tailor the fit to your needs, based on firearm and position.

My thoughts:
    3:00 position is about neutral for cant. Moving forward or back from that point increases the need for cant, in either rearward or forward direction.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Always 15-20 for me. It's all about concealing the grip. Without the cant the grip pokes our to the rear something fierce. In fact, if you take an unloaded gun, grab it from the top and then put it against a was so the butt of the grip is touching the wall and the underside of the muzzle is and look at it from the side; that's turned out to be the perfect cant for me and that's how I communicate it to the holster makers when ordering.

Gideon

Definitely get the holster with the cant (15-20 degrees). This provides better concealment and an easier draw.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For me it depends on where I'm carrying. 3:30 - 4:30 I want some forward cant. At 3:00, none. I opted for an adjustable holster from Comp-Tac so I'm good either way.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Definitely get the holster with the cant (15-20 degrees). This provides better concealment and an easier draw.OMO

+1+1+1
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

You need more than one anyway so get both. Canted for concealment and non-cant for speed draw.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    Over time, I have tried a good selection of most every conceivable draw there is. Turns out they all worked very well, based on the type of gun I was using at the time. I just received a new vertical draw variant that is very fast, ergonomic, and fits quite well for conceal carry.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have a High Noon with the cant and really like it. I have a Sig 239 and if its not canted forward it really sticks out for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links