An unabashed support of shoulder holsters

This is a discussion on An unabashed support of shoulder holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry something most of the time - usually some form of 1911. I don't carry all of the time. For reasons that time doesn't ...

Thread: An unabashed support of shoulder holsters

An unabashed support of shoulder holsters

I carry something most of the time - usually some form of 1911. I don't carry all of the time. For reasons that time doesn't permit, however, I have carried a full size 1911 in a Miami Classic twelve hours a day for three consecutive days. It is incredicably comfortable. I realize that no holster fits all situations, but the previous three days has had me carrying in a vast array of situations. I have biked heavily all three days. I have walked several miles each day, I have been at a desk and computer for several hours. I have been out in public in several different locales and the shoulder holster has serviced itself so incredibly well. An oversize shirt, a light weight windbreaker, a sport coat covers/conceals the gun perfectly.

I have always liked a shoulder holster but I have used other styles. I always come back to Shoulder holsters. The last couple of days has just reinforced my total belief in this form of carry. I realize that it takes two hands to re-holster, but in my situation, I don't see that as a serious drawback.

I am basically casting a vote for a good shoulder holster. It is very hard to beat them. Just my two cents!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I were to wear a jacket or coat, I'd rather have a shoulder holster than anything. But seeing as I live in South FL these days, not gonna happen!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Holsters are like clothes for your gun, much in the same way as we dress for the changing climate. If I lived in the mountains, I’d likely wear my old Bianchi X15 every day. As it is, I live in the desert and the average summer runs 110~114. It’s hard to carry any gun by any method, that won’t be absolutely miserable. Overall, the shoulder method is my favorite but its also the least used.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Holsters are like clothes for your gun, much in the same way as we dress for the changing climate. If I lived in the mountains, I’d likely wear my old Bianchi X15 every day. As it is, I live in the desert and the average summer runs 110~114. It’s hard to carry any gun by any method, that won’t be absolutely miserable. Overall, the shoulder method is my favorite but its also the least used.
    110-114 degrees? Geez, Louise, with weather like that, can you wear any clothes? I knew there was a good reason to stay in Minnesota.

Thanks for the comments. They are truely valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    110-114 degrees? Geez, Louise, with weather like that, can you wear any clothes? I knew there was a good reason to stay in Minnesota.
    Well, the good thing is that when it's that hot, typically the humidity is close to single digits. If you sweat, it will evaporate as God intended. But at some point, with extreme heat you just can't take any more clothes off!

Back to shoulder rigs... have you mastered drawing and re-holstering without crossing your own body parts? My observation of people wearing shoulder rigs is that most have less than fastidious muzzle discipline.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links