Pancake Holster Comparison

This is a discussion on Pancake Holster Comparison within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a review of two "pancake" style holsters I own, the Galco Concealable and the High Noon Skin Guard. I carry a FNP .40 ...

Thread: Pancake Holster Comparison

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Pancake Holster Comparison

This is a review of two "pancake" style holsters I own, the Galco Concealable and the High Noon Skin Guard. I carry a FNP .40 and as FN owners know, there are not as many holster options available for our weapons. I have had the Galco for about a year and as summer approached, I wanted something that would have material between the weapon and my skin when I wear summer shirts. The FNP has a decocker on the side and I find the lever tends to "jab" me. So I ordered the High Noon and have been using it for over a month. I have found these two holster to be very similar in carry positon, cant and retention. The Galco cant seems a little greater. The High Noon has an adjustable tension screw and it takes a little while to get it right (do not be too hasty to adjust it, let the holster break in a little first). I wear both at the 4:30-5:00 position. The Galco is leather and the High Noon uses a laminate skin consisting of a leather backing with a synthetic outer skin.

Which do I prefer? The High Noon does exactly what I bought it for, it protects my skin from the decocking lever. However, the laminate material Hign Noon uses is a little "sweaty" as compared to other materials such as horsehide. Not a big deal, still better than the lever in my side. Both hold the weapon firmly and as noted above, the cant is about the same. The High Noon seems to hold the weapon a little closer to my side, although that may be merely athe sensation of the skin guard material vs. the slide. The Galco is better at reholstering which I attribute to its preformed shape. In fairness to the High Noon, the decocking lever wants to hang up on the slide guard material, a problem with any holster that has this feature. My Crossbreed does the same thing. This may be peculiar to the FNP line due to the decocker, it may be an issue with some safetys. If that is an issue for you, I would go with the Galco. As for asthetics, the Galco wins-that may or may not be important to you, it really is not for me. Price? The High Noon is the winner here at $49.99 vs the $99.99 list for the Galco (although to be fair, the Galco is discounted in the market. I got mine on eBay for $50). If you buy the custom made version of the High Noon, the Slide Guard, the price points are similar (not available for the FNP40, however, just the FNP 9MM compact). Customer Service? I have not had any issues with either, but High Noon is a very fast ship. I have talked to them about my shoulder rig and they are very helpful.

The bottom line for me is the Galco in cooler weather (I wear T-shirts with an unbuttoned flannel a lot) and the High Noon in summer. If I open carry, I probably go with the Galco but it is a mood thing. In jeans and a black T-shirt I think the High Noon is a little less conspicuous whe worn with a black belt. No clear winner here, both are good quality holsters and I would recommend both.

And yes, we own two, "his and hers". It was my wife's first firearm, and I wanted for both of us to train on the same weapon. Now if I can only sell the same story to her to buy a second AR...
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the input.....I think High Noons are some of the best holsters out there.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    Not much of a Galco fan, though I've owned a lot, but I still like your assessment.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

GM
    Thanks for the info!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links