Is anyone else concerned with where a pocket holstered gun points when sitting down?

Is anyone else concerned with where a pocket holstered gun points when sitting down?

This is a discussion on Is anyone else concerned with where a pocket holstered gun points when sitting down? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my CCW permit last weekend and Im going to be picking up my Ruger LCP in a few weeks which will be my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I received my CCW permit last weekend and Im going to be picking up my Ruger LCP in a few weeks which will be my primary carry. Originally I was thinking I would go with a pocket holster however now that I think about it I don't know that I like the fact that if I have my LCP in a pocket holster and sit down to eat somewhere and my wife is sitting across me it will be pointed right at her. Or if Im anywhere and sitting down it will be pointed out at other people. Now I know that the LCP has a long trigger pull and safety built in that and that when properly holstered the trigger is fully covered but I just don't feel comfortable with that.

Has anyone else that pocket carries have this thought?

Personally, as long as it is in a good pocket holster that covers the trigger, I think it's a non-issue. I keep my pocket carry in my back pocket in a holster, so if it somehow went off, I suppose it would have to shoot through my butt/legg to do anyone else any harm.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLuvnLibrl View Post

Has anyone else that pocket carries have this thought?
    Yes. However, if you think about it, any holstered weapon will occasionally sweep someone. So does that mean that you do not feel that you can safely carry? The fact is that a quality firearm that is properly holstered is safe in the possession of someone who is properly trained.

How you feel about it, really is up to you.

BTW, welcome to the board!

VIP Member
    You’re simply mixing basic guns rules with provisional carry. Its not an uncommon mind-set and it will pass over time, combined with confidence and familiarity. So long as the gun is holstered and not just resting in your pocket with an unprotected trigger, you’ll be fine.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I pocket carry a Kahr P380 and a Ruger LCP in a holster that covers the trigger guard. There's no way either of them will go off.

P11 in my pocket most days when in shorts in a Desantis holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    You’re simply mixing basic guns rules with provisional carry. Its not an uncommon mind-set and it will pass over time, combined with confidence and familiarity. So long as the gun is holstered and not just resting in your pocket with an unprotected trigger, you’ll be fine.
    I had that mindset when I first started using my Smartcarry. It will pass over time. I know longer think about it.

You travel a two lane road meraly feet from passing traffic at 55-65 mph pointed directly at each other...never thin about it. Its ok.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

It takes a very deliberate PULL to get an LCP to fire. I pocket carry an LCP quite a bit, and have no worries. When you pull the trigger for the first time, your worries will disapear. That gun will not go off unless you want it too. Keep the trigger covered at all times and your worries are unfounded. I have an uncle mikes and a desantis nemisis pocket holster for mine and I much prefer the desantis.

Good Luck
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Ron
    I pocket carry a PF-9 in a very good pocket holster(Mika), and have pocket carried for years, but I must admit that it does cross my mind from time to time. I can't say that I worry about it, but...
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm reluctant to try the smart carry for that reason. It may also be that I'm just uncomfortable with fabric covering the trigger instead of leather. My EDC holster is a Don Hume 715.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    I'm reluctant to try the smart carry for that reason. It may also be that I'm just uncomfortable with fabric covering the trigger instead of leather. My EDC holster is a Don Hume 715.
    This is from a previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Place any empty (unloaded) firearm in a SmartCarry while wearing it and try to pull the trigger... it's so hard to do it's darn near impossible. It can be done but you really have to work at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Well today I tried what Thumper suggested and I did it while wearing sweatpants and I could not pull the trigger on my Glock 27. I tried and tried and tried but there was just no way to do it. The fabric that SmartCarry uses is just to damn thick. I could feel the trigger but I could in know way pull it and yes folks, the gun was unloaded.

I will keep a round in the chamber while wearing my SmartCarry and just not concern myself with AD. I thank everyone for the input and welcome any additional as well.

No actually. I don't do pocket holstered guns. I do however carry appendix more often than I used to. But no. Have confidence in yourself first, have confidence in your chosen "weapon", and lastly...have confidence in your methods and means (holster and position). Concealed carry must be integrated fully into your lifestyle no matter what you're doing. If you have questions about any of these things, then you're not doing things right. That's about as simple as I can tell it.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    It takes a very deliberate PULL to get an LCP to fire. I pocket carry an LCP quite a bit, and have no worries. When you pull the trigger for the first time, your worries will disapear. That gun will not go off unless you want it too. Keep the trigger covered at all times and your worries are unfounded. I have an uncle mikes and a desantis nemisis pocket holster for mine and I much prefer the desantis.

Good Luck
    I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in a Desantis nemisis pocket holster and never worry about it. I can't imagine a scenario where the trigger could be accidentally pulled. I don't put anything else in the pocket and the trigger is covered by leather. I routinely use a Smart Carry with an EMP, S&W 342, Glock 26 and even a Taurus 617. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLuvnLibrl View Post
    With a well-designed holster and gun? Not the least little bit.

The whole point of being holstered is so that the gun cannot spontaneously combust (ie, fire all by itself). IMO, that's it. Unless you're speaking of a defective or incredibly poorly-designed holster, I believe that it is simply impossible for a holstered and pocketed gun to fire while seated.

Find one single example in the past 30yrs where such a holstered pistol has fired and then we'll have something further to talk about. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links