Which Wilderness Instructor Belt?

This is a discussion on Which Wilderness Instructor Belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5 Stitch or CSM (Combat Shooter Model) polymer lined. How thick is the 5 stitch? Is it rigid enough for heavy firearms/mag pouch carrying? Has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Wilderness Instructor Belt?

Which Wilderness Instructor Belt?

5 Stitch or CSM (Combat Shooter Model) polymer lined. How thick is the 5 stitch? Is it rigid enough for heavy firearms/mag pouch carrying? Has anyone tried the CSM belt? Is it as comfortable as 5 stitch? 5.11 belt is backordered and I'm tired of waiting. Gonna get an instructor but had these questions.

2. Remove Ads

I have a 5 stitch and it holds my Glock 19 in an OWB holster and double mag carrier fine.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

VIP Member
    I have 3, 5-Stitch belts... they're great!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

kpw
    I have both. They will both do a fine job IWB or OWB. I prefer the 5-stitch for IWB and the CSM for OWB. I find the CSM more comfortable for OWB because it doesn't have to be sinched as tight while remaining rigid.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I have 2 of the 5-stitch belts, carry my mil-spec with no problems at all.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I have both. They will both do a fine job IWB or OWB. I prefer the 5-stitch for IWB and the CSM for OWB. I find the CSM more comfortable for OWB because it doesn't have to be sinched as tight while remaining rigid.
    Hmm, I didn't consider that aspect but it certainly makes sense. I was planning on the Titanium with standard 5-stich for my 2.5 inch 686 (38-oz wet). Now I have to flip a coin on the same dilemma as the OP.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Good question Saber, I am planning to order one of those belts as well. I was leaning toward the 5-stitch for my IWB carry. Let us know how it turns out!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

I like the CSM. Its ridged enough to hold up my XDm40 fully loaded, yet, comfortable enough to wear both IWB and OWB all day, everyday.

I have the original 5 stitch and have had it for five years. Has worked great for OWB and IWB.

Now I really want to snag one with the titanium buckle. :-)
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

5 stitch for me!!

I went ahead and ordered the 5-stitch. My three carry weapons are Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 19 and Sig Sauer P228. Most of the time will be IWB carry but I do plan to carry the heaviest one (Sig) OWB with a double OWB mag pouch occasionally in the winter. That's why I thought about the polymer lined CSM model. But it sounds like the 5-stitch will suffice. If not, I have a plain casual 5.11 belt ordered as well. It may be my choice for OWB if needed. We'll see.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the 5-stitch. My three carry weapons are Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 19 and Sig Sauer P228. Most of the time will be IWB carry but I do plan to carry the heaviest one (Sig) OWB with a double OWB mag pouch occasionally in the winter. That's why I thought about the polymer lined CSM model. But it sounds like the 5-stitch will suffice. If not, I have a plain casual 5.11 belt ordered as well. It may be my choice for OWB if needed. We'll see.
    It will work fine. The 5-stitch is plenty stiff enough for heavy pistols and I do like it better for IWB because it is more flexible laterally but still stiff enough vertically.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    It will work fine. The 5-stitch is plenty stiff enough for heavy pistols and I do like it better for IWB because it is more flexible laterally but still stiff enough vertically.
    Cool, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

I have four of the 5-stitch...they are great belts and have lasted a looooooong time...still good as day one!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ok I'll weigh in...

I have both 5 stitch and the CSM. I started w/the 5 stitch nd found it very adequate. Its a good buy. I lost 30 lbs and needed a new size so I ordered the CSM. It IS STIFF. I wear it everyday as it is my only "gun Belt" I wear it at work (no Gun) but carry a radio, pager, flashlight and Glove pouch and it works great as well.

what I have found is that if you are a little "fluffy" around the middle, the CSM may feel uncomfortable if your "fluffiness" does a "done lap" kinda thing just because it is a lot stiffer.

Also I have noticed that if you wear pants or pair of shorts made from cotton, and wear them more than once or twice before washing, as they stretch and get more loose you have to cinch your belt tighter making the material of you pants/shorts bunch up and that is uncomfortable under a stiff belt...I know kinda weird but its what I have found during my CCW experience so far....just FYI.
    No Excuses... Just make it Happen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links