my thoughts on the Maxpedition Jumbo for CCW

This is a discussion on my thoughts on the Maxpedition Jumbo for CCW within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I posted a thread a while back asking which was better the Maxpedition Jumbo or Fatboy Versipack. Everyone recommended the Jumbo for a ...

Thread: my thoughts on the Maxpedition Jumbo for CCW

Hey guys, I posted a thread a while back asking which was better the Maxpedition Jumbo or Fatboy Versipack. Everyone recommended the Jumbo for a 3 inch 1911 so i went with that. Thanks everyone for your input.

I originally placed an order for the bag with LA Police Gear since they had decent prices. 3 days later I went on their site to track my order and I saw that the bag was on back order. I would have never known if I didn't check and who knows how long it would have taken to get my order so I canceled my order with them.

I found a link to EMGear.net from the Maxpedition website. I placed my order and they shipped it out 1 hour later. It was in my hands 2 days later. EMgear.net is an awesome place with great prices and killer service.

Ok so for the Maxpedition Jumbo:
    I was originally hesitant to get one since I thought it would be too big for EDC. It's actually the perfect size. I could see how the Fatboy would be too small.

The bag itself is built tough as nails and it looks way cooler than a fanny pack :) It has enough pockets and pouches to keep all your EDC gear in no problem .

I mainly got the bag as a means for CCW. I gotta say it's perfect for carrying when you don't wanna strap a holster on.

The Draw is a little clumsy - your fingers can get caught on the flaps and you can't get a good grip on the gun with their velcro holster. The velcro holster keeps the gun too close to the side of the bag to get your thumb around the grip.

I can see how using a better quality holster would be worth it.. mainly to get a better initial grip during the draw.

All that aside I can draw in about 2.5 seconds and I've only tried it a few times. With training I'm sure you can get much faster.

The bag is totally worth the $62... especially if traditional carry isn't an option.

If you are thinking about getting one checkout EMgear.net. Highly recommended

I have found that for daily city carry the bag is an attention getter. For carry in the country or woods no one takes a second look and it is very versitile.
    Keep your powder dry

I AM NOT a fan of off the body carry but I sometimes carry a full sized pistol in my Maxpedition and a sub compact on me when my wife, three year old and I go out for the day. That way if we go our seperate ways for a bit I just give her the pack and we both have a pistol (plus the anti-bacterial wipes, change of clothes, drink, first aid kit, flasklight, knife, sunscreen and everything else you want to have with you when you have a young child).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Outside of the woods and trails, those things shout "GUN!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I live just outside a town with an Air Force Base and people here are used to seeing military style bags. I never get a second glance.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Maxpedition stuff is first rate. Has anyone tried a very similar bag from Tactical Tailor? Their other stuff is very good. I am considering one or the othr for the wife, she will not wear a belt so some type of purse carry is perfect for her and I like the messenger bag shoulder carry style, makes snatch and grab nearly impossible.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have a gear slinger luanda. I'm not a huge fan of it for carrying my weapon but I LOVE it as a man purse. I actually got a date because of it...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have a gear slinger luanda. I'm not a huge fan of it for carrying my weapon but I LOVE it as a man purse. I actually got a date because of it...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't think I wish to know any more and will refrain from further comment.

Biker

I have the LEO version. I am not an actual LEO, I purchased that version because I didn't care for the bottle holder and the drawstring storm collar.

Its not really an attention getter for me. Now hold on and hear me out. You gotta remember that I am a 26-year-old guy that wears Chucks and dresses all in black (makes me look thinner and its a habit from the punk-metal years during high school). So a fanny pack will definitely look more out of place.

And it's not a man purse, its a tactical satchel!!

Links