Holster design and belts

This is a discussion on Holster design and belts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Almost all answers to newbie holster questions include "..and get a good belt". Belt made a huge difference with my OWB Hume JIT. My current ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster design and belts

Holster design and belts

Almost all answers to newbie holster questions include "..and get a good belt". Belt made a huge difference with my OWB Hume JIT. My current IWB holster has very, very wide spacing between the clips--Don't have it with me, but I'm guessing that when worn, the clips are 10-12 inches apart on my belt. Works great with the duty belt I bought for the Hume, works just as well with the worn-out, skinny and limp belt I've been wearing before my CHL.

While the spacing of my holster's clips is inherent in the design, it seems that many holster designs, and especially IWB could be modified to a sort of outrigger design--A stiff but flexible section to get the attachment points far enough apart so a specific gunbelt wasn't necessary. I can't be the first to have thought of this, so there must be a reason it isn't reasonably common. Can anyone explain what's wrong with the idea?

2. Remove Ads

Any other belt but a Gun belt flex's Too much with Gun Weight And some belts start to tear under the weight ..
    Where as a gun belt is reinforced to prevent this

Lead Moderator
    Also the stiffness of a gun belt distributess the weight all around your middle , just like a duty belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Any other belt but a Gun belt flex's To much with Gun Weight And some belts start to tear under the weight ..
    Where as a gun belt is reinforced to prevent this
    A normal belt is meant for inward and downward loads. Duty belts also need to resist sagging, and twisting caused by stuff dangling off the outside--I can see why they need to be stiff. With this particular IWB I think most of the loads that would normally require a duty belt are taken by being sandwiched between my pants and hip, and by the curve the holster takes when being worn. If I wear it with just pants and no belt rather than sagging it tries to rise up out of my pants rather than fall.

I'm not trying to say that a good belt doesn't make a big improvement for most holsters, but rather that it would not take that much to design concealed carry holsters to work with non-specific belts.

Administrator
    Ditto: That your belt selection is every bit as important as the holster you choose.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I wear IWB 95% of the time and have holsters with a wide spread on attachment points and trust me a good gun belt is still needed

I have never given belts much thought until reading this post. What are some good belts and what should you look for.

I wear IWB 95% of the time and have holsters with a wide spread on attachment points and trust me a good gun belt is still needed
    Sounds like I lucked out then, with either holster or body shape. I honestly don't notice the difference with this holster between a duty belt from the police supply store and a 1 inch wide, limp, worn-out casual dress belt.

sevesteen,
    Just curious what manufacturer/model holster are you using??
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity
    sevesteen,
    Just curious what manufacturer/model holster are you using??
    Crossbreed Supertuck Adjustable. Wasn't going to mention it by name yet again unless asked, because I've already posted about it enough that people are going to think I'm a shill. No involvement with the brand except as a satisfied customer.

Until I got a good belt I didn't know what I was missing.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Here is one thought also

Cost of 1911 Springer loaded

900$

Cost of good holster

50-150$

Self defense ammo 25$ per 20 need 2 boxes

After spending all that why scrimp and use a 10$ walmart special belt?

If it works for you cool but i prefer something i know isn't going to fail just cause the 38oz unloaded spring ain't light add 3 mags plus ammo to that belt and there to much chance that it will Fail .

Plus how they twist

To answer the question of glocksmygun pretty much all of the holster makers make good belts. They are usually double thickness stitched together and available in the width, finish and leather of your choice. I use a Rafter S and have also seen good ones from Andrews. Others love different brands but I suspect they all work equally well as long as they're made for the job.

For me they certainly make carrying my Commander more comfortable. I've tried it with and without. I'll stick to with!

Eric

Here is one thought also

After spending all that why scrimp and use a 10$ Walmart special belt?
    It's not entirely the cost of the belt, it's also style--If I'm wearing it as a tuckable, a gunbelt is probably not what I'd be wearing normally. If there was a big difference in comfort or performance, I'd wear the gunbelt, but if I can eliminate a clue that I'm carrying, great. Plus it's not $50-70, but $100-140, since I'd want both a brown and a black.

Expense is a part of it though--Wife and I have gone from no gun to both having CHL in a few months. Indoor range and gun rental fees to help pick a gun, the mandatory training class, ammo, joining the Fish and Game for a place to practice, CHL fees, the cost of the gun, (and we still need another) cost of a good holster (and we still need another...)

If it works for you cool but i prefer something i know isn't going to fail just cause the 38oz unloaded spring ain't light add 3 mags plus ammo to that belt and there to much chance that it will Fail .

Plus how they twist
    I need a belt to hold my pants up, and typically wear it pretty snug, so $10 plastic belts don't work for me even without a gun. I'm also not that heavily loaded, just the gun and my PDA. Maybe that's why a skinny belt works for me with this holster- My wife wore it, and didn't like how tight she had to keep her belt. She doesn't usually wear a belt at all.

I don't doubt that most people see a need for a good belt, I'm just trying to figure out what's different for me and this holster.

Hey, Sev... I lucked out and got a carbon fiber reinforced dress belt from Blackhawk on sale ($20) in my size. The difference is amazing. Sure, I don't have the holsters I want, but I've got the belt. I wear it anytime I wear my wingtips, and other times when I'm going untucked (they only make black). No one has ever noticed any difference between this belt and the leather Polo (Ralph Lauren) black dress belt I used to wear. Also, Western Gun Leather sells double thickness belts for about $10 more than what I can buy a casual belt at JC Penney's. For my middle, even without a gun, I'm sold. I hope to never go back to cheap one-ply belts ever again.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links