Which OWB holster for S&W 640?

This is a discussion on Which OWB holster for S&W 640? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be getting a S&W 640 .357 in the next month or so,and am looking for a good OWB holster for it. I'm debating between ...

Thread: Which OWB holster for S&W 640?

I'll be getting a S&W 640 .357 in the next month or so,and am looking for a good OWB holster for it.

I'm debating between a galco concealable,a simply rugged silver dollar pancake or a pure custom OWB pancake rig. Of these three holsters how does the Galco concealable compare? I know its a mass produced holster vs. The other two that are custom,but is it a good enough. OWB rig to tote a steel J-frame in?

Also if anyone who owns the pure custom or silver dollar pancake rigs can chime in that would be great as well. If it matter I'm looking the least bulky OWB I can find,thanks.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

VIP Member
    This dilemma has baffled mankind since the beginning of time. During my illustrious pursuit I found one standout that actually fits better than a glove, is reasonably priced, and doesn’t exceed your life expectancy before its delivered.

It’s the Milt Sparks PMK. I was pleasantly surprised that it actually hugs inward to the hip as advertised, and it’s very well crafted. My customized 640 glides into the holster and settles very well into the bone hard mold. It draws like butter, though admittedly, my gun has been melded and dehorned. Still, you won’t have to deal with a break-in period as with other similar designs and its overall footprint is actually smaller than the website photo suggests. I like it so well, that I’m ordering one for its big brother '686' with the 2.5 inch barrel.

BTW: I opted for the 1-1/4 inch belt loops after much debate, and I'm very glad I did. Its posture is perfect for the size and weight class of the 640. If you should decide on this rig, I recommend you start out with a conventional dress belt, since the molded belt loops are very tight and it also allows for an even closer to hip fit. The metal reinforced mouth is a nice touch and I like the shark trim that didn't cost much to upgrade.

Milt Sparks Holsters

Regards,
    Dan Ortego
    Last edited by Saber; May 20th, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

One of the best OWB holster designs ever for the the J-frm is the Ritchie Leather CQ-QR. We have retailed Sparks and Galco products since the late 90's and in our opinion none of their OWB products come close to this original Lou Alessi design for the J-frm.

I have two of these...one for each Glock. I quit using my IWB's because this OWB is so tight against the body.

FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my opinion the Galco Concealable (A) doesn't hide as well as a regular pancake style (B).

America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Sponsored Links