Defensive Carry banner

poor mans holster

3K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  razor02097 
#1 ·
But it does serve its purpose. First I measured my 380 bersa from the front of the pistol grip to the end of the barrel then I went to the hardware store (lowes) and I looked for a contractors radio or cell phone case, it measured perfect. A little modification was necessary.First I cut a slot on the flap of the case so as to let the web of your hand guard or what ever its called go through the slot, next I sewed a piece of velcro to the end of the flap and there you are. It doesn't look half bad and it makes it safe to carry. You can clip it to your belt or run your belt through the loop all for less than $10.00 I'll come back later to see who liked my idea and to see who didn't.

#2 ·
Whatever works… Granted, we could all save a bundle if we took a similar approach but the fact is, many of us are obsessed with this hobby. Nothing but the best will do, or close to it. I wish I could be satisfied with an over the counter gun, and one pithy holster and call it done. Unfortunately, I would likely end up like 'Nemo' at the end of the movie and say... "Now what?"

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum

It is nice to hear about someone doing creative and innovative things.
For future reference check out some Uncle Mikes holsters they do make affordable rigs for cheap.

Oh and :worthless:

#4 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Good luck with your homemade rig...:smoke23:

ret :31:

#5 ·
Works for me :congrats:

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum from Delaware!:wave:

If it works, your good to go!

#8 ·
But it does serve its purpose. First I measured my 380 bersa from the front of the pistol grip to the end of the barrel then I went to the hardware store (lowes) and I looked for a contractors radio or cell phone case, it measured perfect. A little modification was necessary.First I cut a slot on the flap of the case so as to let the web of your hand guard or what ever its called go through the slot, next I sewed a piece of velcro to the end of the flap and there you are. It doesn't look half bad and it makes it safe to carry. You can clip it to your belt or run your belt through the loop all for less than $10.00 I'll come back later to see who liked my idea and to see who didn't.
Welcome to the forum.
There are a lot of creative folks here. Welcome to the club! Like to see some pics.

poor mans holster
See? What bothers me sometimes is the economics involved with CC and the current state of economics in this country as a whole. DIY has nothing to do with cheap since what we save on one thing ends up getting spent on another. It's our focus and intent and what we do with them that make the difference.
"Serves the purpose"..........define please what purpose.
Looks? What should a CC holster look like?
"Makes it safe to carry"
For you or for the criminal that's ready to take you out?
Nothing wrong with creativity. Lord knows we all have some of that. Sometimes the big picture is rather elusive when we are on a mission to solve one thing. Usually solving one thing takes our focus away from everything else involved even though we should go one step at a time in solving a problem. Often times, the larger scope of things is what eludes us the most at the time we are most focused. It's like finding a galaxy in the night sky when you're looking for it where it's supposed to be. Let your peripheral vision see your way to the source. There's so much more.

#9 ·
:worthless:

#12 ·
What? You didn't spend $110+ on something to hold your gun in place? IS your life not worth more than a $10 wannabe holster? Off with your head!

Hey, if it works for you and serves its purpose, more power to you. I find it a bit surprising what people will spend on a fancy holster no one should ever see, worrying about "reholstering" a firearm that probably will never be drawn, etc.

If you're anything like me, you're probably rough on gear too. I can have a brand new Timex watch every year, or I can have a megabuck Rolex that's beat to crap in a year. Funny thing is, they both tell the same time.

#13 ·
But it does serves it purpose. First I measured my bersa 380 from the front of pistol grip to the end of the barrel,then I went to Lowes and I looked for a contractors radio or cell phone case, it measured perfect. A little modification was necessary. I cut a slot on the flap of the case so as to let the web of your hand guard or what ever its called go through the slot, next i sewed a piece of velcro to the end of the flap and that's all there is to it. It doesn't look have bad and it does make it safe to carry. You can clip it to your belt or run your belt through the loop.All for less than $10.00. I'll wait and see what kind of comments I get from this.
good, is no better feeling than doing something yourself, put some pics at least, Im curious !!

#19 ·
Hey, I am for whatever works....and like Saber said, for a lot of us, we own and carry guns because we want to protect ourselves in an often unsettling world, because it is our constitutional right and allowed in some states, but also because of the hobby part of gun ownsership and with that comes more guns, more holsters, maybe reloading, etc....etc....

But again, hey, a cheaper mousetrap is always an option and as long as you carry and can protect yourself, more power to you.

#26 ·
I can see some real possibilities with this idea. My daughter got a new Sig P238 today and would like a simple holster to slip on while jogging, that does not look to out of place ( in the wilds of AR)... not such a high crime rate in the town of Gravette. This idea might very well fill the bill when she can not carry a gun purse and still wants armed from dogs and other low life critters. I surely do appreciate ingenuity and new ways of thinking. And after dropping major coin like she did for her new "baby" a inexpensive way to carry it at least temporarily would be nice, we were already looking at PDA cases, but you might have the solution that we need.

#27 ·
Hey Y'all: Sabre said it all. If you have one firearm and it works, why do you need another one? If you have paper bag that holds your firearm, why do you need an alligator custom holster costing mega $$$? The list goes on and on and can be said for photography, where one camera will take all the pix you want. It is really about the word "hobby". I am 68 and up until 2years ago never even touched a firearm. Finally decided that this country was turning into a cesspool ruled by a turd and I wanted house protection for my wife and I. Now I have 2 target pistols, the original 38, a CC 380 and a 12g--who knew?

#28 ·
Hey Y'all: Sabre said it all. If you have one firearm and it works, why do you need another one? If you have paper bag that holds your firearm, why do you need an alligator custom holster costing mega $$$? The list goes on and on and can be said for photography, where one camera will take all the pix you want. It is really about the word "hobby". I am 68 and up until 2years ago never even touched a firearm. Finally decided that this country was turning into a cesspool ruled by a turd and I wanted house protection for my wife and I. Now I have 2 target pistols, the original 38, a CC 380 and a 12g--who knew?
Wise man. Kelcarry for President!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.