Your thoughts Maxpedition gearslinger line

This is a discussion on Your thoughts Maxpedition gearslinger line within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a way to CCW while doing family outdoor activities. While I was looking at the Maxpedition man bags I saw the Sitka Gearslinger ...

Thread: Your thoughts Maxpedition gearslinger line

Looking for a way to CCW while doing family outdoor activities. While I was looking at the Maxpedition man bags I saw the Sitka Gearslinger

Anybody use one. I think a dad w/2 kids carrying this is plausible and wouldn't catch a 2nd look. Plus you can fit all the necessary kid gear in it 3yo and 1yo boys. Might take a little practice (like anything) to get comfortable at getting the weapon out. This is not a quick draw setup by any means, but my first line of defense is SA so I know when to get the HE double hockey sticks out of there when I've got the boys with me.

I have about a dozen Maxpedition products. If it say's Maxpedition on it, it's gonna be one of the best products made.

The problem is finding which product suits your needs best! They have something for just about any size or need you can imagine. And they just keep expanding their product line.

Two Thumbs Up for Maxpedition!

btw... You can find great product reviews for just about all of their products on YouTube! Below are a few reviews for the Sitka you mention in your post.

Maxpedition Sitka

Maxpedition Sitka

Maxpedition Sitka Review Pt. 1

Maxpedition Sitka Review Pt. 2
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I love Maxpedition products, but if I see a fellow father using one I know he is carrying a gun.

Good news for me, but just realize that other people not so supportive of RKBA may know it too. Doubtful, but I can't risk it.

I use a non-tacticool bag for off body daddy duty carry.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    ...but just realize that other people not so supportive of RKBA may know it too. Doubtful, but I can't risk it.
    I have never had anyone come up and ask me if I was carrying a gun in any bag I was carrying... ever. I'd venture to say that probably no one else has either. And most of the time, I'm not carrying a gun in my Maxpedition gear. Sometimes I do, but most of the time, I don't.

Who in the world would feel they have the right to ask someone such a question?

And if they did? You are a legal ccw holder, aren't you?

I also don't carry a hydration bladder in most my packs even though they have a dedicated place for one. I wonder how many people assume I'm carrying a hydration bladder?

Bottom line is, it really doesn't matter what other people think.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    I love Maxpedition products, but if I see a fellow father using one I know he is carrying a gun.

Good news for me, but just realize that other people not so supportive of RKBA may know it too. Doubtful, but I can't risk it.

I use a non-tacticool bag for off body daddy duty carry.
    Have you seen the amount of Maxped gear on campuses you must remember sheep are sheep.

Fatboy is my edc

I have the Sitka and so far think it's great, but I didn't get it with the intention of using it to CCW.

Rather, the sling approach--which I first experienced in a camera bag--is very useful when traveling. You can swing it to the front to access your documents or other necessities. Or you can keep it up front when you're on public transport or worried about sticky-finger types. The Sitka also easily fits easily under the seat in front of you on airplanes, etc.

I keep my CCW weapon on my hip or in my pocket, which is surely more accessible than in a Gearslinger bag. I use the CCW pocket in the Sitka to carry magazines--but the kind you read.

Adding a couple of external pouches makes the Sitka even more useful, and is easy to do given the webbing it has.

I have the Sitka and use it while with my family. It's basically perfect, in my opinion.

It is good gear but doesn't fit into my gray world.

I think off-body carry is irresponsible, especially when doing outdoor activities with your family. Carry it on you.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

There's a good reference article comparing two bags (one from Maxpedition, one from Condor) in the recent issue of TACTICAL Annual 2010. Page 70. Discusses concealment, accessibility, etc.

I have the Lunada Gearslinger and I have to say I absolutely love it. Having said that, I usually do not use it for ccw. I tend to "toss" the bag around quite a bit, so i prefer not to keep my gun in there. I have used it on rare occasions in the woods and on my bike (pedal) to carry when my clothing choices just won't allow on body carry, but when I do i am extra careful with it and never put it down. I use it for my "must have daily" junk. It has all the right pockets I need, it carries a bunch of stuff without becomeing bulky or getting in the way, I carry it downtown just as easily as I carry it through the woods.

I live less that a mile outside of Fort Bragg, so Maxpedition gear around here is pretty popular, and gets rave reviews. Sure, some people know that Maxpedition bags are equipped for CCW, however the people who know are usually CCW holders themselves. Why worry about people knowing your secret if they are in on the secret themselves? I remember I met a few military guys who had no idea what the little ccw pocket was for. One used it to store his daily planner, another had his gloves in there. Fellow CCW'ers can tell when a person is carrying by the clothes they wear, the way they move, how they stand protecting their carrying side, bags, etc... If you don;t ccw, chances are your not going to have any idea that a Maxpedition bag is sometimes used for ccw. The bag you use doesn't mean your carrying and it doesn't mean your not carrying. You want a Max bag, go for it, non carriers are not going to have any idea, and most likely they won't even notice what type of bag you are carrying anyway.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Every piece of Maxp gear I have handled has been very high quality. Go over to EDCForums, and look at some of the setups over there. May give you some ideas about what you want and dont want. There are several places with decent prices on the web if you look. Here is one. If i find the other site I will PM you.

Backpack, Sitka Gearslinger 5 Colors Maxpedition-M
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    It is good gear but doesn't fit into my gray world.

Have you seen some of their new "gray man" colors? They are starting to address that issue with new colors like orange, yellow and royal blue in some of their gear.

I foresee more colors in more of their gear in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Links