Question about CC and Holsters

This is a discussion on Question about CC and Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I live in Virginia and just recently received my Concealed Carry permit, and was looking for a holster to suit me well on ...

Hello all. I live in Virginia and just recently received my Concealed Carry permit, and was looking for a holster to suit me well on the day to day.

I wasn't sure if I should go with a IWB holster or not, as i'm not entirely sure if its okay for the pistol to be partially exposed on my waist. I usually dress casual, and being a small framed individual, simply putting my hands half way above my head would lift my shirt enough to expose the barrel of the gun. So i guess my question is, would this scenario get me in any trouble for exposing the gun, or is it probably better to just get a IWB, as I don't believe the handle of the gun would be exposed regardless on what im doing.

I appreciate the replies in advance, thanks!

do a search here on Pure Kustom holsters, top quality holsters and Rocky the owner is a great guy......I think we shot the ***** last night for about an hour. I currently have 3 of his Black Ops Pros which can be worn IWB or OWB and I do switch back and forth depending on my work dress requirements.

I will be ordering my 4th Black Ops Pro next week........yea Rocky, I bought something last night :-)
    b.

Thanks for the reply

Well I am worried with an OWB holster, that at times, an inch or so of the barrel/bottom of the holster may be exposed. I am not sure if concealed carry means 100% concealed and unseen at all times, or if the situation occurred and it was partially exposed, if thats okay.

EDIT: I plan on concealing my G19 until I can afford a more sub compact gun in the future. Also, I generally wear sweatpants, rarely a belt, so anything with an optional way of attachment would be nice

very good question.......there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, I am sure they can give you better advice regarding your state CC laws.
    b.

First, Welcome to the board.

I can't speak for the pistol being exposed but I love my Crossbreed super tuck IWB holster but not everyone likes the feeling of IWB. I also own a Smartcarry for deep cover concealment and thanks to RamRod I know how an appendix carry holster made by Remora but that will take time to review.

I'm sure you will get some other great advice along the way.

IWB would be best if you're going to wear untucked shirts. You could get longer shirts but too long and you're dragging up a lot of shirt to get to the draw.

One of the best IWB holsters, in my opinion, is the CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK.

What are you planning to carry?

Whatever method of carry you choose you definately need a quality gun belt, CROSSBREED happens to make one of those also. No I am not affiliated with CROSSBREED, just a satsified customer.

Whether it's legal or not exposing part of the gun may be just enough to scare the sheep and get you a meeting with an LEO, which may or may not be so bad but then at least 2 extra people know that you carry a gun.

Catching up on your posts and it sounds like Smartcarry might be your best option if you hardly wear a belt.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    To answer your question, I'd say yes, get an IWB holster for your Glock 19. Which one? It depends. I have a Kholster (Similar to the CrossBreed Supertuck) & an UBG Holsters "Nassar" model. One's for strong side (At about 4:00) & the other's for appendix carry. You'll have to experiment as to what's better for you.

As to IWB vs OWB, again, that depends, but sounds like IWB with an untucked shirt is best. As to raising your arms up, I suggest learning to realize you're carrying & don't do so unless you absolutely need to.

Also, I imagine during the winter, it won't be as much an issue, since you'll probably wear a coat.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Welcome to the forum! Regarding the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, you can wear that holster in about 23 different positions, IWB/OWB, different cants, high, low, etc. It's worth a look!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Does it legally have to be completely concealed?

It's best to check with your state laws, some states even dictate what method of concealed carry is allowed. I am sure most people on here know what they are talking about but if you did get some bad info stating to the arresting officer " I read it on a forum" is not going to hold up. I live in Oklahoma and they are currently attempting to pass a law allowing open carry. I appreciate them giving back more of my liberties, however I will still continue to carry mine 100% concealed at all times, two reasons one already mentioned you don't want to scare the sheep ( yes we even have them in Oklahoma) at the least it can delay you getting on with your day, number two it's always best to keep the element of surprise which is lost if you are advertising (intentionally or not) that you are armed.

Another satisfied CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe owner here. I carry the Glock 19 comfortably in it. You will need to where a belt though. Or go the smart carry route.

Since you have a permit--it doesn't matter if the gun is only partially concealed...why?

VA is also an Open Carry state. And yes...you can OC with an IWB holster.

Between now and 30 June, you MUST OC in a restaurant that serves alcohol. To OC with an IWB holster, you do the "VA tuck"--that is, tuck your shirt behind your gun so that is visible. It is that simple. If you are just wearing a jacket over your IWB, then take your jacket off.

Starting on 1 July, you can carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol...but you may not partake.

Be familiar with VA gun laws: Virginia State Police - Selected State Laws Pertaining to Firearms

I highly recommend that you join the Virginia Citizens Defense League-- VCDL and sign up for their e-mail distro that highlights proposed legislation, and new legislation.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLander View Post
    I plan on concealing my G19 until I can afford a more sub compact gun in the future. Also, I generally wear sweatpants, rarely a belt, so anything with an optional way of attachment would be nice
    Sweatpants, and britches worn beltless, tells me Smartcarry.

Carrying does require a slight change, or adjustment, in your everyday dress. If your worried about exposing your sidearm while reaching up, wear a slightly longer shirt. An IWB holster is a great choice for concealed carry but it'll require a good belt to be worn properly. Crossbreeds, Comp-Tac's M/CTAC's, and a whole host of others......do a search here for pics and reviews, there's a bunch.....can fill that need.

I carry a G23.....exact same size as your G19.....in a MTAC and CTAC. Wonderful holsters and the 'tuckable' feature was a big selling point when I got 'em. As for getting a smaller, deeper-concealing handgun, a pocket holster would be a good route to look into.

Also, Welcome Aboard!
    Last edited by goldshellback; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You'll meet all your needs at this site... HOLSTERS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Moving from a G19 to a sub-compact will be quite a shift. Anyway, concerns over visual exposure will be largely dependent on your dress code and activity level. Holsters designed for IWB will almost always provide better concealment although they come at a price. You’ll have to up size your pants and/or belt while you down size your comfort level. As with many of us, you will likely end up with both styles based largely on your attire, climate and convenience. Since you are planning to switch from a medium/large frame to a small frame, I would look for something fairly basic. The holster thing' gets real expensive with very little resale value.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Thats easy.wear your shirt untucked and have it hemed to just below the holster.

Links