Another exercise and (road) bicycle carry thread

Another exercise and (road) bicycle carry thread

This is a discussion on Another exercise and (road) bicycle carry thread within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, New guy, first post. Been searching all over on this topic, and have read most of the threads on this site. Would like ...

Thread: Another exercise and (road) bicycle carry thread

Question Another exercise and (road) bicycle carry thread

Hello everyone,
    New guy, first post. Been searching all over on this topic, and have read most of the threads on this site. Would like to post what I've been finding on my own and gather any comments from those out there.
    I have not received my permit yet so I have been experimenting with carry options at my house/property and/or going into public with my potential solutions, substituting the CW with a similar size /weight object.
    My carry gun will be my SA XD40SC.
    I've been trying to solve the general problem of carrying while exercising. I run, mountain bike, and road bike. For running, I think my Smart Carry will work for me, but may look at Pistol Wear PT-1 or PT-2. Mountain bike, an interim solution is to carry in my Camelbak Lobo pack. Road bike, I have modified a Mountainsmith Vibe II fanny pack to carry. It has the loop side of velcro sewed in, and I plan to attach a pocket holster within to carry my XD. This way I can adjust for draw method. (Not my original idea, but borrowed from nutnfancy on youtube).
    I would like your opinions on the following:

1) Holster shirts. Has anyone tried any of these while wearing bicycle jerseys? I wear "club fit" jerseys which are not like a sport tailored fit, basically semi-fitted, but still closer than a T shirt. (Ie. I'm about 20lbs overweight if you read between the lines so don't wear the athletic cut ). I would prefer on-body carry if I could, and this looks like a great option if it would work, as I could unzip my jersey and reach from a cross draw position. I think this would work fine with my loose fit mtb jerseys but the road bike is a ??. I am considering abetterholster.com or 5.11 tactical holster shirts. The former looks like it puts the gun in a position where the grip is less likely to print, but I won't know for sure until I try. Just testing the idea out while wearing a jersey and holding my xd under my left arm, it looks 50/50 on if it would print.

2) Fanny pack on road bike. I plan to wear at SOB position, adjusting the holster inside for drawing from this position. Does this seem realistic? It would require (with the strong hand) unzipping, reaching in an drawing the weapon. Of course I would practice first with an unloaded gun. I think I saw a few threads where folks carry in this position on a road bike, just curious how it's working out for you.

I've been reading too much in the news not to carry, which is why I decided to get my permit. In addition, bike trails / paths tend to make for easy targets, and I want to do what I can to keep myself and my family from becoming statistics.

Thanks!

Well I've seen a bunch of views but no replies. Maybe people are looking for the same info but no one out there has it.

I went on 2 20mi rides this weekend using the fanny pack option. (Still no permit so weighed it down with wallet, phone, etc). This seems to work ok - I thought it was going to get annoying pulling at my waist, but wasn't so. After some bumps I had to pull up and readjust, sometimes tighten a bit at stops until I got it right.

So overall I think I can live with this option, but ideally I think a holster shirt would work better for accessibility, but probably not good for conceal-ability (would probably print).

Some roadies probably frown on the fanny pack look, just like some think a camelbak on a road bike is a fashion "faux pas" (yet ok for mountain bike). But I don't care, and neither do the folks I ride with.

I plan on getting a holster shirt anyway as one of the options in the "holster drawer" so if/when I do I'll come back to this thread and let ya'll know....
    ....unless someone else has already tried?

Hey,

I ride with a phannypack.....

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/

normally I have it at 9 o`clock even though it is a right hand draw......I can whip it over pretty fast and draw.

BTW I have wrecked several times and the gun has always stayed secure and safe carrying in the manner

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Hey,

I ride with a phannypack.....

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/
    Well that makes at least two of us

I was looking at one of those but I wanted to be really discreet and went with an "outdoor look" pack. My other plan was to get one of these tommy packs and sew on a logo from an old jansport pack, but the Mountainsmith has worked out well for me... at least so far in my tests.

Does your tommy pack have a holster inside, or is it just held tight by the material?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FSuperDuty View Post
    Well that makes at least two of us

Does your tommy pack have a holster inside, or is it just held tight by the material?

Thanks!
    No holster inside....the design just snugs the gun well.......I also carry two ID badges......my wallet....and my Cell phone in the outer compartment.

I've had door bouncers check the outer compartment but not the gun compartment........made think I could have carried my gun on in.......but it is illegal to carry in bars here in NM.

Had a cop once check me out and he had no Idea I was carrying until he asked......you don't have any weapons in there do you? In NM if law enforcement asks....I must tell.

I run and bike on a regular basis. My gun is normally a 1911 of some kind. When I run, the gun is carried in a Don Hume IWB clip holster. I hook it into the waistband of a jockstrap and compression shorts. It works well and, like I said, it is a full size 1911 - maybe a 3" Ultra (Kimber) but a .45.

If I bike or motorcycle, I prefer a should holster of some kind - either a Miami Classic or a Tanker Holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post

If I bike or motorcycle, I prefer a should holster of some kind - either a Miami Classic or a Tanker Holster.
    I guess you would have to wear loose fitting shirts with these holsters?

Links