Mod My Holster

This is a discussion on Mod My Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Bianchi (0709?) OWB that fits all of my 1911s. The problem is that I carry my pistol cocked and whenever I am ...

Thread: Mod My Holster

Mod My Holster

I have a Bianchi (0709?) OWB that fits all of my 1911s. The problem is that I carry my pistol cocked and whenever I am re-holstering, the retention device tends to click my safety off when snapping closed. Can you say "unsafe"? This is because the leather strap that holds the snap is at the wrong angle to snap across in front of the cocked hammer so my action of twisting the snap to make connection brushes downwards on the safety.

I love the holster but I am not comfortable having to double-check the safety every time I re-holster. Any forum members out there that work with leather that could cut the strap off, change the angle of the strap and re-attach it at the right angle for me?

I think it's as simple as cutting off the strap in Pic1 and rotating it about 15 degrees clockwise (in pic) before re-attaching the strap.

Can this be done? Anyone willing to try it for me?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I would just get another holster.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

IIRC back in those days guns didn't have ambi safetys,you should be able to mark around the safety and using a utility knife cut the leather so it doesn't interfere with the safety
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks

I have already kinda replaced it with a BladeTech IWB but I wanted to get my 50 bucks worth outta the Bianchi when I feel like wearing OWB. I don't wanna be one of those guys that has a dozen unused holsters in a drawer somewhere. Worst case I'll cut the strap off and use it that way.

It's interfering with the thumb-side safety lever, not the ambi-side.

Thanks.

Best option when using a life saver is to get a new one.

However, like you said you can always cut it off. I would try this first. Soak the leather (strap part only) that is off angle in warm water. It will take a little while since it is treated and dyed. Once absorbed, with your pistol in a plastic bag, pull or stretch the snap to the proper angle. You may have to cut or dremmel the leather slightly and let fully dry while the pistol is securely holstered. See if that works. Nothing to loose right?

Rob

www.BiancheriUSA.com

No need to soak or get it wet. Just trim a notch in the strap to clear the safety.

DO NOT CUT THE STRAP OFF, ADJUST THE ANGLE, AND THEN RE ATTACH IT! More than likely it will never snap correctly and it will never be the same.

However, if you bought it from the maker I would call and explain your issue and see if they can remedy it by making you the correct holster for your firearm. Also, not many holsters are made to fit multiple firearms. You might think it fits but it really doesn't.

Links