Holster recommended for 2.5" SW 686+ ?

This is a discussion on Holster recommended for 2.5" SW 686+ ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Can I get some recommendations for good concealable holsters for the 2.5" 686+? Something that holds tight to the body with an FBI cant ...

Thread: Holster recommended for 2.5" SW 686+ ?

Holster recommended for 2.5" SW 686+ ?

Hi,

Can I get some recommendations for good concealable holsters for the 2.5" 686+? Something that holds tight to the body with an FBI cant that will work well with a double layered 1.5" belt. Obviously, I will carry mostly OWB but I may be open to a good IWB holster also (if they exist), since I have some over-sized pants.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

they do exist.

VIP Member
    Well, I’m very satisfied with the Milt Sparks PMK. Granted, mine is cut for the S&W 640 although the design, style and fit-up would be identical for the 686 2-1/2. The thin but effective metal reinforced opening, and bone-hard leather treatment is very well blended and keeps the bulk to a minimum. The manner in which the loops are designed and arranged, place the fitted gun much closer to the hip than I could have reasonably expected. In fact, it's so tight that I started with a more conventional dress belt that actually keeps the holster closer to my body without sagging. As for the 686, you may have to go with a more substantial belt.

Sidebar: The problem I’ve encountered with competing styles is the obsession with using overly thick leather stock and multiple stitch rows. These are clear testaments to the ‘heavy duty’ and ‘last forever’ insurance, but it does add centimeters to the outward projection from the hip. Be that as it may, I just wish the PMK was also available in a hammer strap (thumb release) version.

BTW: In my view, the maker charges a 'fair price' compared to comparable quality holsters on the market.
    Last edited by Saber; May 23rd, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For my 2.5 S&W 686+ PC I have a DeSantis OWP unlined with a thumb break, looks, feels, and works great.

But.... what I really would like for the S&W (and for a few Sig's and 1911's) are Rocky's PURE KUSTOM BLACK OPS PRO.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

VIP Member
    Nice! I have to admit the PURE KUSTOM BLACK OPS PRO (low ride) looks very promising. The exterior belt hold method would reduce the sag potential of the 686 while permitting the use of a thinner belt without compromise. Unfortunately, the price point tips the scales of my holster budget.
    Last edited by Saber; May 23rd, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Check out Lobo Gun Leather, makes nice leather at resonable prices.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if the 686 and 686+ can use the same holster? I know the plus has a slightly larger cylinder for that 7th rd?
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

VIP Member
    The frame and outside diameter of the cylinder is the same. The only difference is the charge holes are spaced closer together to accommodate the seventh round. However, some leather holsters are so well form fitted, the cylinder flute impressions may not index exactly perfect. So, if you're ordering an expensive holster, tell the maker which model you have to achieve the perfect fit.
    ~ Stephen King

Don't forget Simply rugged's Pancake holster. I got one for my taurus 357 with the extra loops so I can wear it inner or outer with just a couple of seconds work .
    Delivery was fast and the price was right

Thanks for the responses. And you are right that the cylinder diameters are the same for 686 and the plus. I may just get a Galco Combat Master OWB to hold me over until I custom order one.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Links