My PushPak outted me

This is a discussion on My PushPak outted me within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few months ago we evaluated several tactical bags for carry and I got a tan 5.11 PushPak. In the discussion, most people said that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My PushPak outted me

My PushPak outted me

A few months ago we evaluated several tactical bags for carry and I got a tan 5.11 PushPak. In the discussion, most people said that in my very outdoors-oriented area, few people would recognize it as such and just see it as any other pack.

So last weekend I was at a friend's for dinner and a friend, Brian, I hadnt seen in about 4 yrs was there. We were sitting at the table chatting and my pak was hanging from the back of my chair.

He notices the bag and announces....'Hey, who's got the tactical bag?' No one answered of course, so I finally said, 'it's my purse.' He says, 'No, that is a tactical bag.' Once again I insisted it was just my purse but he didnt buy it.

This guy's a horse trainer, not a cop, was never in the military. It was a rural group of people all or most of which hunt and have rifles and the homeowners have handguns in their nitestands. So no one particularly cared and Brian and I had a nice discussion about handguns.

But the thing that bummed me out is that he, a non-LE person, spotted it immediately.

It still does have the 5.11 patch on the front but I am looking into removing it and sewing a girly patch there instead. But I'm pretty sure that's not the only thing that identifies the bag as more than just a purse :-/

Not sure if I should care about this? I really dont want to be noticed in public tho. I dont plan on giving it up, but might switch back to my other 'real' gun purse on more occasions, even if it doesnt handle the wt of the full-size S&W M&P 9mm nearly as well.

So, your perspectives please?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Removing the patch and hook and loop tape would be a start.

To be honest the push pack doesn't look anything like a purse. However it does look like a camera bag so maybe carry a cheap camera in it or something. It would be an excuse....eh?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yeah Not especially girly, especially if you are knwon to carry more "traditional" feminine bags.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would have confronted him and asked him what was the point he was trying to make and then inform him how uncool and immature it was.

I sure wouldn't be seeing him for at least another 4 years.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I wouldn't worry about it. Go on about your business. If anyone notices, and has an idea what it might be, they will probably leave you alone and pick a softer target!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would have confronted him and asked him what was the point he was trying to make and then inform him how uncool and immature it was.

I sure wouldn't be seeing him for at least another 4 years.
    He was admiring it. And didnt ever expect it to be mine, from what he had known of me before.

Again, in a rural type environment, guns are not a big deal. It was really just a topic of conversation.

I was just disappointed that it was so obviously a vehicle for carrying a weapon.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Go on about your business. If anyone notices, and has an idea what it might be, they will probably leave you alone and pick a softer target!
    yes, there are 2 sides to it. And that's the good one.

And someone else mentioned it doesnt look like a purse. We discussed this before and here in the outdoors-oriented NW, alot of women will carry that sort of thing, if not that specifically. Certainly Maxpedition type stuff. So it was a risk in that regard, that I took. And no need to actually carry the camera! Just the impression would be effective.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Yeah Not especially girly, especially if you are knwon to carry more "traditional" feminine bags.
    If anything, I hate carrying purses and carry the smallest possible. The fullsize M&P makes that difficult. I would love to have the money to buy a smaller carry gun, but for now.....

And I dont dress girly :-) Pretty much always jeans. I do have a 'fancier' gun purse if necessary...but I avoid those events as much as I avoid dressing up, lol
    Fortune favors the bold.

That is exactly what I mean. You normally carry smaller more feminine bags. You say you usually wear jeans, so if you showed up to your friends for a gathering in spike heels and a leather skirt, they would notice. Your tactical type bag stands out from a "normal" ladies purse. Especially if the other person has seen such a bag before. I routinely carry and read about stuff like your push pack so I would notice it very quickly, but thats me. Once you make it part of your everyday gear it will eventually blend in. Like somebody else said, remove the Molle webbing and ta ctical looking gear from it. Put on some girly looking patches or even patches of something you like such as a hobby etc. Maybe even look at something like a Maxpedition, Fatboy which is a true cross body an dlooks more like a casual handbag. They also can be had in a variety of non-tactical colors.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am amazed this occurred. Only the cognoscenti know what that type of bag is.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    I am amazed this occurred. Only the cognoscenti know what that type of bag is.

I dunno about that. Like I said, we debated it here quite a bit before I bought it. Most thought that few people would recognize it, esp since that type of bag is fairly common here in the outdoor-oriented NW.
    Fortune favors the bold.

More and more people are being exposed to tacticool gear. That is how it got its name I wouldnt worry about it too much. The people that know about these things are usually the type of people that dont mind if you are carrying. If they even equate it to that. If he was trying to out you, then yes he was being immature, but if he was just admiring the bag then a nice convo about tacticool would be in order.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I wasn't sure what one was so I just checked it out on their website. OK....not typical purse appearance and I guess I can see how he spotted it. But it looks really functional. I wouldn't swap it out unless you get another half dozen comments.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    If he was trying to out you, then yes he was being immature, but if he was just admiring the bag then a nice convo about tacticool would be in order.

Yeah, we just talked about guns and what revolver he was considering for his wife.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I wasn't sure what one was so I just checked it out on their website. OK....not typical purse appearance and I guess I can see how he spotted it. But it looks really functional. I wouldn't swap it out unless you get another half dozen comments.
    Cost too much to ditch, :-/ But it makes me wish I had gone with the Maxpedition Fatboy...a little more generic looking. But I practiced drawing from one at the range...a guy had one. The zipped pouch where the holster was was much tighter and stiffer and it was difficult to draw a fullsize gun. The PushPack was set up much the same, but easier to draw from.

And I really do like it....except that in general I dont need a bag anywhere close to that size....except for the gun..
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links