New Holster & Grips for S&W 638

This is a discussion on New Holster & Grips for S&W 638 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm no great photographer (obviously) but I thought you might like to see my new holster made for me by a friend on his first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm no great photographer (obviously) but I thought you might like to see my new holster made for me by a friend on his first attempt at a GATOR in-lay. He really did a great job. The holster is strong and rides comfortably with the weight of the gun on the beltline where I like it. It also conceals pretty well for an OWB holster.
    The grips are temporary while I'm waiting on a set of Grashorn Elk grips and a Tyler T-Grip to go with them. The grips in the picture, I won with a $12.50 bid on ebay last week. Not bad for the price and they fit pretty well as a backup set. I just love getting new stuff . . .

img added QKS
    Attached Images
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Very nice setup.

wyo-man

los
    First of all, the holster is a Work of Art. Your holster's design resembles the one I ordered for my Model 40 from Ray at Lobo Gun Leather, except no exotic trim on mine.

Secondly, the smooth magna grips really compliment your vintage Bodyguard. Nice find at a great price. I too ordered a T-Grip (mirror polished aluminum) and should be receiving it shortly.

Also waiting to get my Stags back from Grashorn after having him install s&w silver medallions. I get them back by friday.

Congrats on your Piece. It's a great looking set-up that will even look nicer after you slap the Executioner Stags on.!!

Be sure to post more photos..!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    The little S&W J-Frames are a total breeze to carry OWB in a holster patterned just like that.
    Smart choice on that holster style.

Beautiful rig! Enjoy and be safe!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Man that looks nice. I would like to have some grips like that for my 638. Wish I could run across a set like that for that price.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I still have the factory boot grips on my 638, and that thing has got some kick!! Have you shot that yet, and how is it with those grips, I would think it would smart a bit. Is it pre-lock?
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I still have the factory boot grips on my 638, and that thing has got some kick!! Have you shot that yet, and how is it with those grips, I would think it would smart a bit. Is it pre-lock?
    Unfortunately no, not pre-lock. I have shot it using Critical Defense 115 grain hollowpoints and it kicks a bit but no worse than my Kel Tech PF9 which I 've been carrying.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The little S&W J-Frames are a total breeze to carry OWB in a holster patterned just like that.
    Smart choice on that holster style.
    Thanks for adding the image . . . its appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    First of all, the holster is a Work of Art. Your holster's design resembles the one I ordered for my Model 40 from Ray at Lobo Gun Leather, except no exotic trim on mine.

Secondly, the smooth magna grips really compliment your vintage Bodyguard. Nice find at a great price. I too ordered a T-Grip (mirror polished aluminum) and should be receiving it shortly.

Also waiting to get my Stags back from Grashorn after having him install s&w silver medallions. I get them back by friday.

Congrats on your Piece. It's a great looking set-up that will even look nicer after you slap the Executioner Stags on.!!

Be sure to post more photos..!!!
    The holster was made by a friend I met on this forum. He dosen't do it professionally but in his spare time. I agree, he does a great job. At the moment I waiting for him to finish this same holster for me in black without the Gator inlay. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him. I don't think you'll be disapointed. He's a great guy and charges a very reasonable price. I can't wait to get my Glashorn Grips. I've seen a picture of the set I'm getting and they look great. Mine were ordered with the S&W logo already attached.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Man that looks nice. I would like to have some grips like that for my 638. Wish I could run across a set like that for that price.
    Keep an eye on ebay . . . This past weekend I found another great deal, two J frame grips, one rubber and one custom wood both made by S&W for a bid of $46.00. I'm waiting patiently for them to arrive. That price includes the shipping.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    The holster was made by a friend I met on this forum. He dosen't do it professionally but in his spare time. I agree, he does a great job. At the moment I waiting for him to finish this same holster for me in black without the Gator inlay. If you're interested send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him. I don't think you'll be disapointed. He's a great guy and charges a very reasonable price. I can't wait to get my Glashorn Grips. I've seen a picture of the set I'm getting and they look great. Mine were ordered with the S&W logo already attached.
    Thanks, M.

I appreciate it. I'm waiting for my holster combo to arrive from Lobo. I'll contact you for your friends info should I need another rig.

Please post photos of your black holster when you receive it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Very nice holster although the grips... I suppose I just prefer something a tad more beefy.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Very nice holster although the grips... I suppose I just prefer something a tad more beefy.
    As do I. These are temporary. I'm waiting for my elk horn grips and a Tyler T grip adaptor to beef it up somewhat.

VIP Member
    Elk horn? You dog! I've been wanting a set of those for a long time but they're still on my wish list cost wise. As long as I'm dreaming, I'd go for ivory albeit the even higher cost.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links