What is the best way to carry a BUG?

This is a discussion on What is the best way to carry a BUG? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Carry IWB mostly...what would be the best way to carry a BUG? Ankle? opposite pocket? anyone have pics?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to carry a BUG?

What is the best way to carry a BUG?

I Carry IWB mostly...what would be the best way to carry a BUG? Ankle? opposite pocket? anyone have pics?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Weak side front pocket or mirror carry has worked for me directly opposite your primary on the belt or IWB, weakside.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ankle or opposite (weak) side draw...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I Carry IWB mostly...what would be the best way to carry a BUG? Ankle? opposite pocket? anyone have pics?
    It depends.

What's your lifestyle? Lots of driving or sitting? Do you plan to use it with your non-dominant hand, or accessible to both hands? How big of a BUG do you plan to carry?

Strong side front or back pocket in Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Weak side inside boot with Kel-Tec clip.

I sit and drive often, I was gonna have it on my non dominant side... PM9 or Snubby
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member

Ankle??

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I sit and drive often, I was gonna have it on my non dominant side... PM9 or Snubby
    There are several good reasons why ankle isn't the best option, but if you are doing lots of driving, carrying on your left ankle makes it easily accessible to your right hand when you are sitting in the car.

I don't know CT law, but if you can not display even unintentionally, the ankle is a poor place as pants legs have a way of going up a tad as you try to enter and exit a vehicle.

Whether or not a bug is worthwhile I suppose would depend on where in CT you tend to be. Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Meriden, v East Hampton, Marlboro, Colchester, Lyme? Old Lyme?

I'll get hammered by some, and I apologize for a mildly harsh comment, but too much West of the CT River might as well by NYC or Westchester County.

For CT readers, if you are real familiar with the east side of the river, you'll recognize where my user name came from; but I figured I'd leave the part about the devil out of it.

Oh I know the Hopyard. and I do a fair amount of travel... my Fiancee is from New Haven, my parents are in Bridgeport and I live 10 minutes out of Hartford (Manchester)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I usually don't carry a BUG off-duty. When in uniform I carry a G23 in my duty holster and a Keltec P3AT in my support side pocket. I use a DeSantis pocket holster.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

A lot depends of the size of which BUG I'm carrying that day.

However I range from weak side front and back pants pocket. Strong side back pocket or weak side belt holster. Either IWB or OWB.

Sometimes my BUG is in a belly band type holster worn high on the chest under weak side arm pit. The rig has X style shoulder straps to distribute wieght. With that rig I can carry full size all steel guns all day long and not be uncomfortable. Sometimes my primary is carried in it, but mostly a hi-capacity BUG like the XD9sc.

So, you can see I change up quite a bit. That is one of the reasons at least for me, it's no problem carrying two guns on a daily basis.

I do tend to try and keep the BUG accessible to my weak hand about 90% of the time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This is how we think a "BUG" should be carried.

Regards,
    DGL
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Pocket holster in weak side front or back pocket. I carry my P3AT that way all the time.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
    This is how we think a "BUG" should be carried.

Regards,
    DGL
    That's how I carry mine! Thanks Rhome.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Too subjective for me to recommend. It really depends on what feels comfortable for the individual combined with activity level, dress code, etc. At the very least its likely to require some tricked out carry device similar to what ‘Rhome’ has posted.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You do a lot of driving, when I drove a taxi and was a deliveryman , I found the ankle rig to be the absolute easiest to access while sitting in the vehicle .
    Just make sure your pants are long and generouse enough to cover without printing.
    "This is who we are."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links