Concealing on a sportbike

This is a discussion on Concealing on a sportbike within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, just curious what you guys use to carry when you're on a motorcycle. I normally use an IWB holster but when on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing on a sportbike

Concealing on a sportbike

Hey guys, just curious what you guys use to carry when you're on a motorcycle. I normally use an IWB holster but when on a sportbike which makes me lean forward, its not a good method to carry less I brandish my holster or gun. Also if I lowside or fall, i don't want my gun breaking my hip or lower back. After thinking the best thing I can come up with is a shoulder holster. Clearly I cant access my gun when I'm zipped up but I picture most incidents happening when I'm walking to/from my bike so I would be unzipped and able to defend myself.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

The search function is your friend. This has been posted many times here. Use the search function and you will get your info.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

I bought a SW Airweight just for putting in my front packet when I ride.
    We take your favorite carry gun and make it better!
    www.hcgrifles.com

los
    My son rides a Yam R1 and hangs out with a local group of bikers. One of his buddies carries a Smith 442 in a smart carry.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used the search but haven't found a result that fits my question, use on a sport bike. Most bikes/roadsters/ non sportbikes allow you to sit more upright, making options for carrying more available, even IWB is an option. With a sportbike, leaning leaves a big risk of printing or even brandishing since you're leaning forward and you're moving a little bit more negotiating turns.

I see three possible options, all with pros/cons to each. One is Appendix carry, shoulder carry, and the fanny pack.

Appendix carry might not be the best for a girthy double stack pistol like the G26, but if anyone's had experience tell me so I can be better informed.

Shoulder carry seems like the obvious choice for me since it doesn't come in contact with the lower half of your body, and the reasons I stated above.

Fanny pack is a new option I discovered when searching for a similar topic. Though nice, it can raise unneeded suspicion.

I'll research the suggestions you gave me and see what works for me. If anyone rides this holiday weekend, keep your eyes/ears open and stay frosty.

Keep safe!

not sure why IWB will not work with just a t-shirt......plan on putting a few miles on the Duc this weekend......will report my findings.
    b.

Quote Originally Posted by bnewell View Post
    not sure why IWB will not work with just a t-shirt.
    That depends on where you carry. I carry 5 'o clock (lefty) and unless you're wearing an XXXL or larger shirt (XL is best for me for regular carry @ 5'9"), or you're riding jacket is very large or if you're high speed, a once peice racing suit :) , the angle (how far forward you lean on a sportbike to grip the handle bars) will be far enough to lift your jacket and usually your shirt with it exposing your holster and/or piece.

Perhaps try a shoulder holster like this for your G26 (Galco Executive).....

Or perhaps a bellyband likenthis ine from Desantis. It would give you freedom to move your pistol around to find the most comfortable spot.

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Search "To all you bikers out there"

Its a thread I started about the same topic. Definately a good question to pose.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

This is the one I'm waiting to try: Andrews Custom Leather - Carjacker Crossdraw
    Whatcha got ain't nothin new. ....... you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity.
    Ellis, No Country for Old Men.

I carry a 26 IWB in the appendix posistion. Although my bike allow for a more straight riding stance I think you would be fine. I wear a jacket year round while riding even in the South Ga heat and humidity. I find that with a jacket rarely if ever is my gun exposed when I do carry it at 3-4 posistion.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Crouching on a sportbike would seem to make appendix or crossdraw carry uncomfortable. It would also make it hard to keep a side-to-rear waist holster concealed.

For me, when I finally have the opportunity to be both carrying and riding my R6 regularly, I plan to go with a shoulder holster, and I have my eye on the Andrews Monarch. Why? Because I think a shoulder rig based on balance instead of tie-downs will work better in a crotch-rocket tuck...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Shoulder holster is a good option, I used that method on a recent ride on the twisties in Arkansas. Adjust the holster so it holds the weapon higher (closer to the armpit) rather than lower, the weapon won't fall forward. Some kind of retention is probably a good idea. I'd think twice about the no-retention Galco executive.

One issue is how to conceal after taking your jacket off. Some light, thin vest, or short sleeve western shirt may do the trick (snaps!).

I found the following pretty helpful for getting the fit right:

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/CCWInfoFitt...derHolster.pdf

best,

Dave
    Last edited by dsoine; May 29th, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Link not visible

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Don't discount the ankle. It is inconvenient if standing, but on the sport bike, you are already close enough to grab if your holstered leg is still on the foot peg.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I used to ride a Suzuki GSX - R750. You really have to crouch on that bike. You're right about brandishing with anything in the 3-5 o'clock position. I used to appendix carry my 640. I could lay on the tank and it still wouldn't dig into me. It was the best method that I could come up w/ at the time. Unfortunately I sold the bike in 2005.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links