Keeping a pistol in a holster

This is a discussion on Keeping a pistol in a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for my P228. I am carrying a smaller pistol in a different holster while the weather is ...

Thread: Keeping a pistol in a holster

Keeping a pistol in a holster

I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for my P228. I am carrying a smaller pistol in a different holster while the weather is warmer. Is there any harm to my holsters or pistol by leaving the pistol in the holster?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Leather does attract and retain moisture in humid environments and could cause corrosion.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Firearms should not be stored in either holsters or gun cases of any kind. To do so invites moisture and rust.

They should be stored on shelves in a locked container.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If it is a leather holster rub some Kiwi shoe wax neutural color into the holster outside & inside of the holster with a clean lint free tee shirt rag & let it dry a few min & then buff it off with a clean rag & your holster will be preserved against any moisture, do this every so often on all of your good leather stuff.

AzB
    Technically, you should never leave a gun in a leather holster... moisture retaining and all that.

In reality, I've seen well oiled guns that were stored in leather holster for 30 years in a safe, and they suffered no corrosion at all.

IOW, don't make a habit of it, but no need to be worried if the gun's in the holster for a while, as long as it's clean, dry, and well lubed.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I leave guns in leather holsters. It is not good. The better the leather the less problem. I have had good luck with storing guns in el cheapo nylon holsters. Your results may be different.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

GM
    I agree with other posts, do not leave the pistol in the holster when you do not carry it, otherwise it will cause corrosion.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd have a real problem as I am always wearing my EDC in the holster, everyday, all day, rain or shine! My other weapon is in my dresser drawer in a holster, been there for over 40 years, when not being worn and it has no problems.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Up to the individual. Ive seen handguns left in holsters and literally LOST in a storage area for 3 years and emerge with no more than thick dust covering it. Conversely Ive seen handguns left in a holster for 2 months and rust formed on the hammer, slide and the safety. All depends on upkeep,temperature and humidity etc. My EDC lives in its holster and I have one that stays in a safe no holster and one that stays around the house IN a holster.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Depends on the finish and quality of the leather.

A finish without a top coat will attract moisture more than one with an acrylic top coat or something similar. I leave my carry guns in my holsters with no problem.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've heard for years you shouldn't store a handgun in a holster.

I've done it for years and have never seen a problem. One, used as a decoration, hung in the holster literally for years, and was never moved except to be dusted.

I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

VIP Member
    I’ve seen it go both ways based on the particular gun, oil, holster and environment. As most of us should know by now, stainless does rust. Also, the aluminum alloy guns with steel insert barrels really rust fast too. During the day if I’m carrying, the gun remains in my holster with a thin film of oil but at night I generally remove it. I think the wax idea on the holster can really help, albeit a looser fit of your gun in the process. As I’ve said before; for every plus, there’s an equal minus.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Links