Ankle Holsters, how comfortable? Alternates?

This is a discussion on Ankle Holsters, how comfortable? Alternates? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, New member here. I'm new to carrying concealed, and I want to know the best way to carry while attending a wedding (3 ...

Thread: Ankle Holsters, how comfortable? Alternates?

Ankle Holsters, how comfortable? Alternates?

Hey guys,

New member here. I'm new to carrying concealed, and I want to know the best way to carry while attending a wedding (3 piece, later to 2 piece suit no jacket).

I was thinking ankle holster makes sense, but I also feel like it wouldn't be very comfortable? I usually use an iwb holster, but I'll have a tucked shirt in so that seems outta the question..

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Ads

Depending upon the size of your carry weapon and suit pocket a quality pocket holster might be a better option offering a quicker retrieval of the firearm in most cases.

I would be wearing my Smartcarry on that day. It is comfortable, highly concealable and easy to draw from.

A wedding? In a three piece suit? Formal dress is one of the most modular ways to CC IMO. So many options that one can't imagine. Ankle carry? Well, it could be a viable alternative given dress pants. If you've never carried on the ankle, you'll be fidgeting for sure......and dress socks? I couldn't imagine the thought for myself. If you currently carry IWB, then why not continue even with a change in attire? With a tucked in shirt even. Previous reply elicited a SmartCarry option. IMO, appendix carry might be a real good alternative if you're thinking the normal way you EDC isn't the best option in this case. I'm a more down to earth person when it comes to dress and CC. More of a t-shirt and jeans type. But I've been to many formal occasions where dress is required while CCing and most of my current methods work with it. I've carried the full size 1911A1 SOB at my sister's wedding, and my G19 appendix to a friend's funeral. Where there's a will, there's a way, and the way may not be so far away as you think. Be modular and integrate the will with the way and you'll be okay.
    Welcome to the forum by the way in case I've missed you on your debut. Best of luck to you in everything you do.
    Put a tuckable IWB holster on your list of things to do before you come upon another situation like this. I can only hope all goes well for you.

I ankle carried my Glock 26 (26 oucnes loaded) for 6 months. I am a server, it was worn roughly 2-2.5 walking miles per day on a good 5-6 hour shift. I HATED IT. I constantly had issue with it staying in place, especially with abrupt stops (like an unsupervised 5 year old coming around the corner directly in front of me about to get trampled). I changed to smart carry 2 months ago and I am so much happier. It’s also important to note that while both draw times are slower, the smart carry is still faster.
    The ankle rig would have been a blessing if I was carrying a gun half the weight. I knew ahead of time that the Glock 26 is really not deserving of the term “baby glock”, at least not while on an ankle

I was using the Galco COP ankle band

I did a video review of the smart carry system, you should check it out if you have 10 mins to spare.

YouTube - Smart Carry- A Complete Review

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I would be wearing my Smartcarry on that day. It is comfortable, highly concealable and easy to draw from.

Thunderwear or Smartcarry.......best way to go IMO

Besides, an ankle rig may be compromised jumping after the brides garter..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I've had two Galco Glove ankle holsters. One for a Glock 27 and one for a S & W 642. The Glock was bulky and heavy but you got used to it. But the one for the Smith - excellent! Hardly a day goes by that it isn't on my leg

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've had two Galco Glove ankle holsters. One for a Glock 27 and one for a S & W 642. The Glock was bulky and heavy but you got used to it. But the one for the Smith - excellent! Hardly a day goes by that it isn't on my leg
    I've been looking at the Galco Glove for a while but... isn't the (fake/real?) sheeps wool really hot in the summer time?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Its pretty hot here in the summer - so I'd rather have flip flops, but its not too bad. It's a trade off carrying anything. If I did it all over again I would have never ankle carried a Glock - just too heavy and bulky. The J-frame is great

The key to comfortable ankle carry is using a comfortable holster, namely, a Renegade Cozy Partner. I tried three other ankle rigs, but sold them off once I tried the Renegade - it's secure and comfortable with any smaller gun. I've carried a Ruger LCP, a J-frame Smith, and a Kahr PM9 in mine, and have enjoyed carrying all three.

Good luck!

for many mango seasons (31 plus) i used one with a j-frame daily. during this time i have used many different brands of ankle holsters. i have found the galco to be the best. it gives the most support and holds up well. but now i can not wear one for any long period of time. some days i can go all day, some days i can not. must be old age setting in making it hard to wear one.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links