I need some feed back from the DC members!!

I need some feed back from the DC members!!

This is a discussion on I need some feed back from the DC members!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys! I posted this the other day, but I forgot to put the poll. So I am trying to make up a stock of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some feed back from the DC members!!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question I need some feed back from the DC members!!

Ok guys! I posted this the other day, but I forgot to put the poll. So I am trying to make up a stock of holsters to sell at an upcoming gun show. What I would like to know from you guys is what type of holsters should I focus on? Also what guns should I focus on? Maybe 5-10 different models? colors? styles?

Thanks guys and gals I could use everyones input!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

lol crap! forgot to put the poll again!! lol oh well! lets see your opinions please guys!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Holster #1
    Holster #2
    Holster #3
    Holster #4
    Holster #5
    Holster #6
    Holsters #7 & #8
    Holster #9 (Pictures forthcoming from bigo5552000 as mentioned in another of his threads)
    Holster #10
    Holster #11

My vote goes for #3, #6, and #10. Especially #3 (at least one in a left-handed configuration and a few in right-handed) , I would have gladly paid for one at the last gun show I went to in Georgia, but the only IWBs I could find were either one size fits none, don hume, but I did find one that held me over until I got my MTAC (It is full kydex with a thin leather outside.) 1911's are very popular, especially at gun shows, so if you get an advantageously placed booth with a good flow of traffic then I'm sure you could sell quite a few of those nice looking #3s!

As for the pistols to focus on: 1911 (whichever sizes you have on hand to mold the leather to), Gen 1/2/3 Glocks, SA XD/XDm, M&P, Sig 220 -- Sig 226 -- Sig 228/229, maybe some HKs if you want...others should chime in to cover what I've undoubtedly missed.

You may also want to make some of the snap loops/belt cutouts for larger sizes of belts, for instance I use a 1-3/4" Wilderness Instructors Belt.

You might want to throw in a revolver or two.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If we're a good sampling of the crowd at a gun show, it would seem that 1911s and Glocks would be your best stockers. But I would think it wise to also print up some 8x10s (color xerox, for a buck a pop, perhaps) of your work and pitch towards "I'll make the holster you can't find anywhere else". The profit on the first one you make will be eaten by the purchase of the molding gun, but then you'll be able to offer holsters for that model, too.

And from a display standpoint... be SURE to have all of your tools and some works-in-progress on the table: better yet, be working on a holster between sales. Craftsmen are respected, and a craftsman at work often collects an audience. An audience collects more folks to see what they're watching... and more traffic means more sales. Too, it sets you apart from Joe Importer.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    My vote goes for #3, #6, and #10. Especially #3 (at least one in a left-handed configuration and a few in right-handed) , I would have gladly paid for one at the last gun show I went to in Georgia, but the only IWBs I could find were either one size fits none, don hume, but I did find one that held me over until I got my MTAC (It is full kydex with a thin leather outside.) 1911's are very popular, especially at gun shows, so if you get an advantageously placed booth with a good flow of traffic then I'm sure you could sell quite a few of those nice looking #3s!

As for the pistols to focus on: 1911 (whichever sizes you have on hand to mold the leather to), Gen 1/2/3 Glocks, SA XD/XDm, M&P, Sig 220 -- Sig 226 -- Sig 228/229, maybe some HKs if you want...others should chime in to cover what I've undoubtedly missed.

You may also want to make some of the snap loops/belt cutouts for larger sizes of belts, for instance I use a 1-3/4" Wilderness Instructors Belt.
    thanks for the good response!! I was thinking the same as you and probably #9 which is a colt detective holster!

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You might want to throw in a revolver or two.
    Thats #9 I agree I need to represent the revolver crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    If we're a good sampling of the crowd at a gun show, it would seem that 1911s and Glocks would be your best stockers. But I would think it wise to also print up some 8x10s (color xerox, for a buck a pop, perhaps) of your work and pitch towards "I'll make the holster you can't find anywhere else". The profit on the first one you make will be eaten by the purchase of the molding gun, but then you'll be able to offer holsters for that model, too.

And from a display standpoint... be SURE to have all of your tools and some works-in-progress on the table: better yet, be working on a holster between sales. Craftsmen are respected, and a craftsman at work often collects an audience. An audience collects more folks to see what they're watching... and more traffic means more sales. Too, it sets you apart from Joe Importer.

I really like the idea of having a portfolio and maybe some cards! I also think that doing work while I am there would be really good! Hopefully drawing a crowd!!

Thanks for the responses!! I need more though!!!

I need some more input please!!

Whatever holsters fit the Glocks will sell. Mainly the compact and sub-compact. Throw in a few that fit the XD9, and I'm sure you'll do well on the first day of the show. After the first day, you'll be better prepared for the second day, but you won't be sleeping until after the second day cause you'll be making more holsters after the first day. Believe me.....staying awake for 48-60 hours isn't too much of a problem. It's what comes after that's hard on your health. Good luck with your venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Whatever holsters fit the Glocks will sell. Mainly the compact and sub-compact. Throw in a few that fit the XD9, and I'm sure you'll do well on the first day of the show. After the first day, you'll be better prepared for the second day, but you won't be sleeping until after the second day cause you'll be making more holsters after the first day. Believe me.....staying awake for 48-60 hours isn't too much of a problem. It's what comes after that's hard on your health. Good luck with your venture.

ok thanks! I have a Glock 17 blue gun and I maybe able to get a hold of some of the more compact models! What styles of holsters should I make? The more input the better guys! thanks!

anyone else want to contribute??

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Maybe you could try my idea from a couple of years ago and see how it flies:

My Idea For Beltless IWB

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I agree with the options. I would bring everything you have. Make up some for the 1911 and Glock crowds as well as some for the XD9/40 group, posibly some Kel-Tec and Berettas as well.

I think working there, as well as stopping work to "sell yourself" to "seriously interested" types will help you grow your "hobby" (?) greatly. Try to avoid those that are looky-loos that just want to talk and "impress" you with their knowledge. If someone is interested, they won't waste time with idle chit-chat but will get right to the point.

At least I would...unless you get me talking (pretty much about anything...)...then all bets are off.... Just ask my wife...

GM
    I would like to find a slim IWB leather holster for a 1911 that:

has extended leather so the slide does not rub the body
    is tuckable,
    allows me to lower it at least a couple of inches
    allows me to adjust the front cant for between appendix and SOB (palm in) carry.

But I guess that such a holster exists only in my dreams . However, if you decide to do something like that PM me immediately, because you do have a customer here .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I totally agree with Rod, I would have some Glock/XD/M&P. If limited on time, cut the revolvers. Frankly they are just not very popular these days compared to polymers and 1911's for that matter.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links