Sharkskin Pocket Holsters

This is a discussion on Sharkskin Pocket Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who makes 'em? If you have one, post a pic! Also, how have you found the durability and resistance to moisture as compared to leather? ...

Thread: Sharkskin Pocket Holsters

Who makes 'em? If you have one, post a pic! Also, how have you found the durability and resistance to moisture as compared to leather? Looking for something a little fancier for my Keltec.

Regards,

J
    Last edited by ROFL SQUAD; June 1st, 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Teh Grammarz
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Who makes 'em? If you have one, post a pic! Also, how have you found the durability and resistance to moisture as compared to leather? Looking for something a little fancier for my Keltec.

Regards,

J
    Sharkskin would have to be bonded to a base leather such as 4/5 OZ cowhide. It is not particularly moisture resistant but it is very resistant to abrasion. Probably be kind of pricey in the range of $60 to $100 depending on who made it. Would look nice though.

Can moisture cause the sharkskin to separate from the base leather? I just don't want to sweat through the holster on a consistent basis if I am outside all day, etc.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    Can moisture cause the sharkskin to separate from the base leather? I just don't want to sweat through the holster on a consistent basis if I am outside all day, etc.

J
    Properly done it would not. Generally the bonding agent would be Barge's or Master's which aren't affected much by moisture. It would also be stitched.

I carried my North American Arms Guardian 380 in an Aker sharkskin holster for years. I never had a problem with wear or with moisture. I sold it recently, but it looked as good as the day I bought it.

I'm in process of making a Stingray pocket holster for a customer's Kel-tec with full anti print panel. Most leather holster makers use a top coat that seals the leather so moisture is not a problem.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

MNBurl,

How much does adding a anti print panel add to the price of my Rough Out if I purchase it in shark? If need be, please PM. The Rough Out is very similiar to the cheapo Galco I am using now, and I love the design. My P3AT has a CT grip if that factors in your estimate.

Thanks,

J

Sponsored Links