Slit in VM2 holster

This is a discussion on Slit in VM2 holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Brommeland holsters I usually carry have no such cut, either, but they are not metal-reinforced and are made of thinner leather than is the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slit in VM2 holster

The Brommeland holsters I usually carry have no such cut, either, but they are not metal-reinforced and are made of thinner leather than is the VM-II. I don't do much running anymore, and won't unless I have to, but I'm not sure the presence or absence of a slit like that in the VM-II would matter on a design like the Barber rig for which you provided a link, if it is thinner leather than the VM-II. Good-looking holster, by the way. You might also check with Rhome Desbiens at Desbiens Gunleather. He does a very similar design to the Brommeland Max-Con V, and was mentored by Gary Brommeland.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Los, can you explain why the presence of the slit aids in deep shirt tucking?

Thumper,

That's an impressive collection. I imagine it took a fair number of years to amass, given the long waiting period!

I do not understand your statement, however. How can there not be any flex when there is a large cut in the leather? And if there is no flex, then why would they bother to design the extra stitching to create a cut here?

The holster does not move because of the slit. It allows that part of the holster to curve to the shape of your waist. The leather is not soft and is not looser because of the slit. The flex only allows the attachment to shape to your waist and the holster does not move in any direction especially the direction your arrows indicate. You just have to try one and not try to imagine what your looking at.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    If it has nothing to do with tucking, then what is it's function?

When you say "reinforced collar," are you referring to the piece of metal which keeps the mouth of the holster propped open for easier reholstering, or are you referring to a piece of metal which prevents the front tab from flexing?
    The slit is a byproduct of the reinforced holster mouth. The reinforcement wraps from front to back (encircling the top of the slide of a pistol) and in order to do so, needs a relief cut in the otherwise pancake construction holster body.

Maybe these two photos (front and back of a VM II) will help you understand my description.

To Jimmy, Mike and Joey:
    Thanks guys!

los
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Thanks all, I get it :)
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links