Slit in VM2 holster

This is a discussion on Slit in VM2 holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into getting a custom made leather IWB holster. I'm concerned primarily with optimal concealment without specific regard to quickness of the draw. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Slit in VM2 holster

  1. #1
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394

    Slit in VM2 holster

    I'm looking into getting a custom made leather IWB holster. I'm concerned primarily with optimal concealment without specific regard to quickness of the draw.

    The VM2 is one of the most popular holsters in this category. My current feeling is that a larger cant (30 degree) and slightly lower setting will provide better concealment (for Glock 30).

    The VM2 features an atypical slit that appears to hold the gun more loosely. I would guess that this is designed to give more comfort in the sitting position. I am curious how the presence of this slit affects comfort in the sitting, standing, and full out sprinting positions.

    I have no doubt that the VM2 is very effective at keeping the weapon secure under all conditions. However, if I am to have something custom made, I want to make sure that I fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of any features I request.

    One thing I am concerned about is that the slit might not hold the weapon as securely when running full speed in comparison to holster that lacks the split but is otherwise identical. However, I could be wrong...and this is why I ask :)

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    los
    los is offline
    VIP Member Array los's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    2,483
    The VMII is designed with the 'slit" for ease of deep shirt tucking, which will provide optimum concealment.

    As with any IWB holster, weapon retainment will depend on how tight the belt is worn in conjunction with how well the holster is fitted to the subject weapon.

    No worry there as Milt Sparks makes a damn good holster.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,104
    There is nothing "loose" or "looser" about a VM-II. I have several.

    Here's just a few!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  5. #4
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Los, can you explain why the presence of the slit aids in deep shirt tucking?

    Thumper,

    That's an impressive collection. I imagine it took a fair number of years to amass, given the long waiting period!

    I do not understand your statement, however. How can there not be any flex when there is a large cut in the leather? And if there is no flex, then why would they bother to design the extra stitching to create a cut here?


  6. #5
    Member Array Back 40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    402
    The shirt goes between the gun and the securing belt loops via the slits. The slits are what make it tuckable. They have nothing to do with flexability.

  7. #6
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    The shirt goes between the gun and the securing belt loops via the slits. The slits are what make it tuckable. They have nothing to do with flexability.
    Ah, I understand. In that case, would I be correct to assume there is a second slit on the other side which is just hard to see in the picture? And that there is a thin metal reinforcement running on the inside to prevent flexing?

  8. #7
    Member Array Sleipnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Ah, I understand. In that case, would I be correct to assume there is a second slit on the other side which is just hard to see in the picture? And that there is a thin metal reinforcement running on the inside to prevent flexing?
    To my understanding it is not a true tuckable holster without replacing the leather loops with the specifically designed tuckable clips.

  9. #8
    los
    los is offline
    VIP Member Array los's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    2,483
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    ...I do not understand your statement, however. How can there not be any flex when there is a large cut in the leather? [/IMG]
    As you are aware, the VMII is an IWB rig, therefore, flex is moot if the holster is properly secured with a belt.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  10. #9
    Member Array Matt Del Fatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The North Woods
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Los, can you explain why the presence of the slit aids in deep shirt tucking?

    Thumper,

    That's an impressive collection. I imagine it took a fair number of years to amass, given the long waiting period!

    I do not understand your statement, however. How can there not be any flex when there is a large cut in the leather? And if there is no flex, then why would they bother to design the extra stitching to create a cut here?

    The slit as you call it is there as a result of the wrap around, steel reinforced, holster mouth and has nothing to do with making it tuckable. If that was the case, there should also be a back slit. Sparks offers special belt loops that allow the holster to be tuckable. Having a wrap around steel reinforced collar combined with the outboard belt loops is what makes the holster so unique and apparently why so many makers feel compelled to copy it without even giving credit to the original designer. It is an ingenious design from the creative mind of Tony Kanaley.

    I don't have a VM II so I can't answer your question about the front wing flexing. The holster has been out for quite a few years though and MANY, MANY people have (as shown above) more than one in their collections. Those guys who wear them all day every day should certainly be able to report on how the holster holds up over the long haul.

  11. #10
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti View Post
    The slit as you call it is there as a result of the wrap around, steel reinforced, holster mouth and has nothing to do with making it tuckable. If that was the case, there should also be a back slit.
    If it has nothing to do with tucking, then what is it's function?

    Sparks offers special belt loops that allow the holster to be tuckable. Having a wrap around steel reinforced collar combined with the outboard belt loops is what makes the holster so unique
    When you say "reinforced collar," are you referring to the piece of metal which keeps the mouth of the holster propped open for easier reholstering, or are you referring to a piece of metal which prevents the front tab from flexing?

    I don't have a VM II so I can't answer your question about the front wing flexing. The holster has been out for quite a few years though and MANY, MANY people have (as shown above) more than one in their collections. Those guys who wear them all day every day should certainly be able to report on how the holster holds up over the long haul.
    I have no doubt that the holster will hold up over the long haul. Due to the large number of people who wear them, and the excellent feedback I have heard, I am confident that it will hold up. That is not my question. I am simply trying to understand what the pros and cons of having the slit are. So far, I've got 2 people on this thread telling me it's for better tuckability...but as you point out, I don't see how it would help tuckability when there's no back slit and when it comes with Kydex clips anyway. Now you're telling me it's not for tuckability, but you didn't provide an alternative explanation...so I hope that when more people respond I can get to some kind of logical consensus.

  12. #11
    los
    los is offline
    VIP Member Array los's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Posts
    2,483
    I think Matt did an excellent job explaining the principle reason for the slit on the VMII. The VMII has a one piece reinforcement band that wraps around the mouth for weapon retainment. In order to accomplish this unique feature and be able maintain a front belt loop, the mouth has to seperate from the rest of the holster, thus creating the slit.

    By virtue of the design, the slit creates an area on the holster that can be used to tuck a shirt.

    But the slit's primary function is to create the ability for the holster to have a one piece wrap-around reinforcement band, and still feature an intricate forward front belt loop.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    If it has nothing to do with tucking, then what is it's function?



    When you say "reinforced collar," are you referring to the piece of metal which keeps the mouth of the holster propped open for easier reholstering, or are you referring to a piece of metal which prevents the front tab from flexing?



    I have no doubt that the holster will hold up over the long haul. Due to the large number of people who wear them, and the excellent feedback I have heard, I am confident that it will hold up. That is not my question. I am simply trying to understand what the pros and cons of having the slit are. So far, I've got 2 people on this thread telling me it's for better tuckability...but as you point out, I don't see how it would help tuckability when there's no back slit and when it comes with Kydex clips anyway. Now you're telling me it's not for tuckability, but you didn't provide an alternative explanation...so I hope that when more people respond I can get to some kind of logical consensus.
    FWIW, Matt is one of the top holster makers/designers in the world and knows exactly what he is talking about. You don't need any more "consensus" than that!

  14. #13
    Member Array JoeyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    133
    I, for one, love that "slit" in the VM-2 type holster design. It allows me to wear the pistol closer to 3:00 without discomfort, since the front loop can come out in front of my hip, while not affecting the position of the rest of the holster/gun (Hope I explained that well enough)...

    The "slit" has zero to do w/ tucking. As mentioned, tuckable belt loops are what allows that.

    If I'm using a dual-loop IWB, the front loop needs to either be ON the holster body (a la Matt's ISP-4), or ahead of the holster body, with that relief "slit" cut in to avoid torquing the holster (a la Sparks VM2)...

    And I will second the praises sung for both Matt Del Fatti's and Tony Kanaley's work... Absolutely top-notch in every conceivable way.

    Regards,

    Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array JohnLeVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas High Plains
    Posts
    568
    The concern about flex at the "slit" causing premature failure is misplaced. You need that flex for comfort, and as noted above, it allows for full wraparound coverage of the mouth reinforcement. It does not have anything to do with "tuckability," nor does it make the gun fit more loosely. I have VM-IIs for 3" L-frames and 4" N-frames, and they work wonderfully. It's a great design, although I usually carry my 1911-types in a Brommeland Max-Con V, which is thinner and not metal reinforced at the mouth. It takes a bit of practice to reholster safely, but I do not plan on performing any Speed Reholster drills.

  16. #15
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. The reason I posed this question is because I am trying to decide if I want a slit put in my custom holster. Since I am intending to get an L-shaped reinforcement (or none at all), there is no necessity to have a slit on that holster.

    Specifically, I'm currently hoping to get something very much like this holster that was designed by Eric Barber,

    http://twelve09photo.smugmug.com/pho...52_H4kbZ-L.jpg

    It is very similar in design to the VM-2 holster, the primary difference is that it is seated a bit lower, with a steeper 30 degree cant, both of which I believe will lead to easier concealment by making the handle print less. It also has slightly wider design, which I think may help to keep it more secure when running full speed.

    However, as you can see, there is no slit in that holster. I am trying to decide if adding a slit to the above holster would be a good idea. John & Joey, you have both said that you find the slit in the VM-2 holster to make it more comfortable, which I assume would also make the above holster more comfortable if a slit were added. But the only hesitation I have about adding a slit is that, since it will allow the weapon slightly more flexibility, I'm afraid that it might allow it to jiggle more when I go into a full on sprint -- which is something that I want to be able to do comfortably.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Galco M4X locking holster vs SERPA level 2, worried about holster snatch
    By JWinSouthFL in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Search tags for this page

custom holster vm2
,
delfatti isp-lp pics
,
glock 30 in vm2 holster
,
high noon need for speed holster
,
milt sparks vm2 kydex
,
n frame vm2 holster
,
slit holster
,
slit in holster design
,

vm2 holster

,
vm2 holster for revolver
,
vm2 holster for revolvers
,
which is thinner brommeland or desbiens
Click on a term to search for related topics.