Homemade Kydex Revolver Holster Design Question

This is a discussion on Homemade Kydex Revolver Holster Design Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by unloved Okay, this is the direction I would be exploring in if I were commissioned to build something along the lines of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Kydex Revolver Holster Design Question

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Okay, this is the direction I would be exploring in if I were commissioned to build something along the lines of what you've described. I used a scrap piece of .080 Kydex.

If I were doing it for real, I'd probably use two piece construction, rather than the fold over style. Either way, I'd use a large enough piece of kydex to make kind of a flange where the sloppy black 'paint' is in this photo. That's where I'd mount my belt attachment. To draw, you'd grip, and rotate the gun in the direction shown by the red arrow.

Wow, that's at least two GREAT ideas that I didn't think of.

Making it with two pieces, I could mount an adjustable screw above the gun, so I could adjust the tension until I got it just right. And I was thinking of making the "hole" on the other side of the gun, but now that I think about the draw, the way you have it makes much more sense. I am going to get a piece of kydex and try it out.

I really appreciate the advice!

BTW, does that blue gun break out of the kydex you made? or is it in there too tight?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    This conversation gives me an idea I will have to investigate and post on here!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I really appreciate the advice!
    No problem. I enjoy experimenting with holster designs. It was fun.

BTW, does that blue gun break out of the kydex you made? or is it in there too tight?
    It does, but it's difficult. Not because it's too tight, though. I didn't put anything in that I can get a sufficient grip on. There's nothing for me to hold it by while drawing the gun. If I had made a flange at the top strap like I mentioned, I think the retention would be just about perfect.

I wouldn't go any thicker than .080, if I were you. I could be wrong, but I really think that anything thicker will be too stiff.

When you start working on your holster, if you find that it's too tight, there are ways to adjust that. Post pics as you build, please! I'd like to see how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Post pics as you build, please! I'd like to see how you make out.
    I definitely will.

Right now I've got to get my hands on the Kydex. knifekits.com is moving slooooooooooooooow on my computer and I can't get it to checkout

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Due to my personal situation, I feel like I need a unique holster, so I am planning on grabbing a bit of kydex and trying my hand at it myself.

Basically I wanted to run this idea by you guys and see what people think about how feasible this would be. Bear with me, as explaining this in words is rather difficult judging from the conversations I have had about it.

I have a Taurus 605 with a 3" barrel (basically J-frame size), and I want to carry it higher than a waistband holster would allow. Since this would make it very difficult to draw from underneath a shirt, I want a holster that I can draw without pulling the barrel all the way up.

So my idea is to mold the kydex around the cylinder, barrel and trigger guard, leaving the top open. So that the gun can be drawn cross draw style by simply grabbing the grip and twisting down, popping the cylinder (which is the widest part of the gun and thus the part most tightly formed to the kydex) loose and breaking the gun free of the holster. So if you looked at the holster from above the gun, you would see the entire barrel of the gun and most of the cylinder exposed, and the kydex would have to actually grip the gun with a reasonable amount of tension.

So, can it be done?

If I form the kydex to my gun, will it hold it in the manner described above, or will the kydex not be able to maintain that kind of tension, or will it wear out?

Is it a bad idea to have the main point of contact on the holster be the cylinder, are there wear issues that I am not thinking about (obviously there would be some wear on the finish, but I am not worried about asthetics at all.... it is a Taurus after all)?

I am open to any advice on how to do it or warnings about how its not a good idea.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Funk
    Ressurecting this from the past but wondering if/how this turned out. I've got some Kydex on order and am going to try my hand at forming some holsters. Would love to hear more on this design.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

DSCN1803.jpg

I made this one for my 686. The main contact point that will give the most retention is the little protrusion just below and in front of the cylinder at the swingarm, on the side that the cylinder swings out. I've made a few of these for J-Frame revolvers and its the same retention point every time. I just take a little heat to that point and slide the revo in and out of the holster while its warm to change that retention. It's always too tight when I make them. I know this is an old post, so I hope I haven't harped on something thats been beaten to death.

Thanks,
    RBH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links