Appendix carry with rearward cant?

This is a discussion on Appendix carry with rearward cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a couple of now-discontinued, but high-quality adjustable-cant IWB rigs I have used with a bit of rearward cant at the appendix position, to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry with rearward cant?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have a couple of now-discontinued, but high-quality adjustable-cant IWB rigs I have used with a bit of rearward cant at the appendix position, to carry revolvers. Really, the gun and holster adjusted themselves to the "just right" carry angle. I have a Haugen crossdraw rig, with quite a bit of rear cant, that I have used in the appendix position outside the belt, to carry an SP101 snubby.

2. Remove Ads

I use a belly band for appendix carry & at times I slide it around to use it in a cross draw position work's for me.

Of course to add more salt to the stew I also want a slide guard on the reverse cant IWB holster. Is this asking to much ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    I have more than a dozen holsters that I have tried in various positions over the last several years. During that time, I have gravitated to appendix carry. I think this is primarily due to some shoulder range of motion limitations making behind the hip almost impossible and even 3:00 uncomfortable if the holster has much forward cant. I am fully aware of the pros and cons on appendix carry.

I have both OWB (Mitch Rosen Upper Limit, G&G 3-slot pancake, Blackhawk Serpa, etc.) and IWB (Comptac MTAC, Crossbreed Supertuck, Bianchi 3S, etc.) that I wear in the appendix carry position. Most of these are straight drop or are adjustable to be straight drop, but donít allow much rearward cant (except for the Serpa). With a straight drop at appendix carry, the muzzle seems to dig into my leg a little when I sit, even with my G27 (more so with my G23 and forget about trying my G22).

Since my Blackhawk Serpa is adjustable, I have tried it with as much rearward cant as possible and it seems to work pretty well. When I sit down, it puts my leg between the slide and butt (please no comments about where the muzzle is pointing while sitting with the gun in the holster). However, the Serpa is not a great concealment holster.

I have practiced the draw from this position and I am happy with it. I have looked at some crossdraw holsters that seem to have enough cant but before I go spend more money on holsters, has anyone tried rearward cant for appendix carry?
    OP, have you ever tried moving your straight drop holster more toward your center-line to try and keep the holster from digging in while seated? I carry AIWB at about 1:30 with a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB holster with my Glock 19 and Springfield LW Champion, and choose that position because it keeps the gun from digging into my thigh while sitting down. Placing the holster any more toward 3:00 would cause it to be really uncomfortable while seated.

Like you, I tried modifying some holsters to try and make them work at the appendix position, but could never get it right. Did a lot of research and came across Gabe Suarez website WarriorTalk.com. A lot of the members wear appendix and were using holsters made by Dale Fricke because he was working with Gabe's trainers to try and perfect the best AIWB holster. Gabe is a huge advocate for Appendix carry and has written several articles about his reasoning for carrying this way. About a year ago, I went almost exclusively to AIWB carry with Dale's Archangel holster.

Here are some pics for reference:

Good luck on your search.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I just ran across Warrior Talk and some of Gabe's info. Some very good info there.

I can't quite get to 1:30. I have a little gut, not big, but enough to push out the top of the gun if a go much past 2:00. That is why I was thinking about rearward cant. Not to get too graphic but there is a little hollow between my gut and the top of my leg that angles about where a 30 degree rearward cant would fit from a 2:00 position. That said, I have not tried a compact straight drop like the Archangel.

I'm guessing there is another holster or two in my future.
    NRA Life Member

I just ran across Warrior Talk and some of Gabe's info. Some very good info there.

I can't quite get to 1:30. I have a little gut, not big, but enough to push out the top of the gun if a go much past 2:00. That is why I was thinking about rearward cant. Not to get too graphic but there is a little hollow between my gut and the top of my leg that angles about where a 30 degree rearward cant would fit from a 2:00 position. That said, I have not tried a compact straight drop like the Archangel.

I'm guessing there is another holster or two in my future.
    I did too, which was my insentive to lose it. So at 40 years old, I lost more than 25 lbs and can carry appendix with no problems.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    I did too, which was my insentive to lose it. So at 40 years old, I lost more than 25 lbs and can carry appendix with no problems.
    Congratulations, tmoore. I'm 60 so not only is it a little harder to lose the gut, but I am also less motivated.
    NRA Life Member

It looks like this might work.
    Untitled Document

OP, have you ever tried moving your straight drop holster more toward your center-line to try and keep the holster from digging in while seated? I carry AIWB at about 1:30 with a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB holster with my Glock 19 and Springfield LW Champion, and choose that position because it keeps the gun from digging into my thigh while sitting down.
    Just to make sure I get it, when you are seated, the barrel of the weapon is pointing towards the gap between your inside leg and your groin?
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Just to make sure I get it, when you are seated, the barrel of the weapon is pointing toward the gap between your inside leg and your groin?
    That is correct. When seated we all have a crease between our leg and groin(lower stomach area). The crease is lower more toward your center-line than it is at around 2:30. Depending on the ride height of the holster(how much holster is still stuck down in the pants) will determine how close you have to move the holster toward the center-line so that it does not dig into your thigh. To make Appendix carry work and carry right, there has to be a significant amount of the holster below the belt line. If there is not, then the gun will want to tip out and conceal like crap.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

That is correct. When seated we all have a crease between our leg and groin(lower stomach area). The crease is lower more toward your center-line than it is at around 2:30. Depending on the ride height of the holster(how much holster is still stuck down in the pants) will determine how close you have to move the holster toward the center-line so that it does not dig into your thigh. To make Appendix carry work and carry right, there has to be a significant amount of the holster below the belt line. If there is not, then the gun will want to tip out and conceal like crap.
    Thanks. I have always liked appendix when I know I won't be sitting, but have never figured out how to pull it off with a decent sized weapon if I am going to sit down. I will give it some thought.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

tmoore's got it. I can take even my G22 and hold it up against me just above that crease between my leg and groin with the butt of the gun fairly parallel to my belt and it just feels like it disappears. I can sit or raise my leg as much as I want and it just goes between the butt and barrel of the gun.

Now I just need to find a holster to hold it there.

Of course, everyone's body is different.
    NRA Life Member

tmoore's got it. I can take even my G22 and hold it up against me just above that crease between my leg and groin with the butt of the gun fairly parallel to my belt and it just feels like it disappears. I can sit or raise my leg as much as I want and it just goes between the butt and barrel of the gun.

Now I just need to find a holster to hold it there.

Of course, everyone's body is different.
    I'm 5'11 195 lbs. athletic build. My Archangel holster(same one in the pics above will also carry a Glock 17 just as well as my 19. I have been trying to find a used 17 to buy, but just can't find one around here.

Last edited by tmoore912; June 7th, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Add pics
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Mernickle Holster's makes an awesome Cross Draw holster with a slight rearward cant or he would custom make what ever you needed. I strictly only carry Cross Draw, I have carried this way for over 2 yrs now, and believe me I went thru a lot of holster finding a fast,well made,reliable holster that had extremely good retention,I found that in Mernickle's Holsters!!! He uses only Herman Leather and his craftsmanship is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Mernickle Holster's makes an awesome Cross Draw holster with a slight rearward cant or he would custom make what ever you needed. I strictly only carry Cross Draw, I have carried this way for over 2 yrs now, and believe me I went thru a lot of holster finding a fast,well made,reliable holster that had extremely good retention,I found that in Mernickle's Holsters!!! He uses only Herman Leather and his craftsmanship is impeccable.
    Look like nice holsters. Is the one you use the PS10-2?
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links