Appendix carry with rearward cant?

This is a discussion on Appendix carry with rearward cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take a look at this: H&A Message Boards - K.L. Null GBS a review...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Appendix carry with rearward cant?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    OP, have you ever tried moving your straight drop holster more toward your center-line to try and keep the holster from digging in while seated? I carry AIWB at about 1:30 with a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB holster with my Glock 19 and Springfield LW Champion, and choose that position because it keeps the gun from digging into my thigh while sitting down. Placing the holster any more toward 3:00 would cause it to be really uncomfortable while seated.

Like you, I tried modifying some holsters to try and make them work at the appendix position, but could never get it right. Did a lot of research and came across Gabe Suarez website WarriorTalk.com. A lot of the members wear appendix and were using holsters made by Dale Fricke because he was working with Gabe's trainers to try and perfect the best AIWB holster. Gabe is a huge advocate for Appendix carry and has written several articles about his reasoning for carrying this way. About a year ago, I went almost exclusively to AIWB carry with Dale's Archangel holster.

Here are some pics for reference:

Good luck on your search.
    How do you work the concealment garment in the two examples above?

In the second picture I could imagine many closed garments...a sweat shirt, a camp shirt, a hoody, etc.

But in the first picture, the only thing I imagine would be appropriate with that mode of dress would be a sport coat. I conceal with a sport coat often, but I am carrying at the 3:30 position and it would take a lot of carelessness or a significant gust of wind to reveal my pistol. But with your pistol being so close to the center line, it would seem like the jacket swinging open, however slightly, would cause issues.

So how do you make that work?
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

With regards to the first pic(business casual), I do indeed wear a sport coat(blazer) to conceal with top button buttoned. I can still get to the gun easily. In the winter I can also wear a golf windshirt, fleece vest or jacket, sweater or sweater vest.

The second photo just shows with a t-shirt, so I can cover up with a polo or a button up short sleeve shirt. I have a lot of those.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    With regards to the first pic(business casual), I do indeed wear a sport coat(blazer) to conceal with top button buttoned. I can still get to the gun easily. In the winter I can also wear a golf windshirt, fleece vest or jacket, sweater or sweater vest.

The second photo just shows with a t-shirt, so I can cover up with a polo or a button up short sleeve shirt. I have a lot of those.
    Great...thanks for the response.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Believe it or not, I carry my snubbies appendix with a forward cant. Draw isn't affected, and it conceals like a champ. Haven't tried with an auto.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I have been carrying appendix for about 1.5 years now and consider it the best method for me. In the past I always carried between 3:00-4:30 with an FBI cant. After reading many forum posts and attending several FOF classes I am 100% sold on the utility and sound reasons for carrying your primary weapon in front of the seam of your pants.

Try drawing your gun from the 4:00 position when a 250 lb. guy has you pushed up against the wall and is actively trying to beat your head into mush. AIWB makes access much easier and though there are times concealment may be a challenge I deal with it.

In the past I have used a Fricke Joab, Comp-tac 2:00 and Raven ACR. Currently I am using a CCC Shaggy with vertical cant which is the best so far IMHO. For those that have tried AIWB and found it uncomfortable I can sympathize but remember that just a little change in positioning can make a huge difference in comfort. If you notice in the picture the Shaggy has a triangular area at the trigger guard that presses the butt of the gun into the body which enhances concealment.

I don't think a reverse cant would work with most guns because the holster would have to ride too high in order to get proper clearance with the grip. When you raise the holster ride you also lift more of the gun above belt level which pushes the grip out.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links