Appendix carry with rearward cant?

This is a discussion on Appendix carry with rearward cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have more than a dozen holsters that I have tried in various positions over the last several years. During that time, I have gravitated ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appendix carry with rearward cant?

Appendix carry with rearward cant?

I have more than a dozen holsters that I have tried in various positions over the last several years. During that time, I have gravitated to appendix carry. I think this is primarily due to some shoulder range of motion limitations making behind the hip almost impossible and even 3:00 uncomfortable if the holster has much forward cant. I am fully aware of the pros and cons on appendix carry.

I have both OWB (Mitch Rosen Upper Limit, G&G 3-slot pancake, Blackhawk Serpa, etc.) and IWB (Comptac MTAC, Crossbreed Supertuck, Bianchi 3S, etc.) that I wear in the appendix carry position. Most of these are straight drop or are adjustable to be straight drop, but don’t allow much rearward cant (except for the Serpa). With a straight drop at appendix carry, the muzzle seems to dig into my leg a little when I sit, even with my G27 (more so with my G23 and forget about trying my G22).

Since my Blackhawk Serpa is adjustable, I have tried it with as much rearward cant as possible and it seems to work pretty well. When I sit down, it puts my leg between the slide and butt (please no comments about where the muzzle is pointing while sitting with the gun in the holster). However, the Serpa is not a great concealment holster.

I have practiced the draw from this position and I am happy with it. I have looked at some crossdraw holsters that seem to have enough cant but before I go spend more money on holsters, has anyone tried rearward cant for appendix carry?
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I felt that a rearward cant would be perfect for appendix carry. Unfortunately I was never able to find such a holster so I settled on a Highnoon Public Secret with no cant. It works well but I would still like to see how a rearward cant would fare.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

You may want to try the tucker cover up. It is an IWB holster that has a clip with with which you can adjust the ride height and cant. I have the cover up plus which is the model that will stay open after you draw the gun. I went with the plus because when I go to restaurants that serve alcohol I have to disarm and I wanted an IWB that I can quickly and easily reholster my gun in. you can also order different clips to accommodate different belt sizes or reduce the visibility of the clip if you have a tucked in shirt.

The positions that I have experimented with is 4:30 to 5 o'clock with a forward cant. As well as a crossdraw type position with a rearward cant at 10 and 11 o'clock.

Here is a link to the cover up. "Cover Up" IWB

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Edit: As a side note I found the most comfortable position with a rearward cant in the appendix position with an IWB is with the holster riding as high as you can get it.

Reverse cant appendix is ideal for me too. One I know that has a reverse cant option (as I own one) is the Threat Solutions Interchangeable as seen here Welcome to TSC Interchangeable Holsters Page They also have another appendix that has reverse cant as well Welcome to TSC Holsters Appendix Page

I can say it's a well made, solid holster.

C-

I have thought of this position many times myself. I have a gut so appendix carry doesn't work really well for me, but I think if I had a different cant it would work much better. I'm gonna look at the cover up now.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

los
    This discussion pertains to OWB / IWB Crossdraw rig..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I am interested in both OWB and IWB. The IWB's suggested look like good possibilities. For OWB, which I wear 8 months of the year, I have tenatively identified either Mitch Rosen Transverse or HBE Leatherworks Driving Belt Holster. You're right though, a crossdraw holster worn at appendix carry is what would work.

I was mainly interested if others had tried this and had any experience with it to make sure it made sense before I laid down the money for more holsters.

Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

IIRC, when I had the clipdraw on my 3" sp101, I looked at carrying it severely canted rearward (30 or 45 degrees - don't recall) so the topstrap toward the front of the cylinder was positioned just behind the top button on my jeans... but I never built a holster to do it, and the clipdraw wouldn't hold it in such a position for long.

Discovered this position while driving; just another idea that I never explored far enough, nor built a holster for.

The Alessi APX is designed for AIWB and has a rearward cant.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I looked up the Alessi APX on their web site and it says it has a 0 degree cant and then later in the description it says it has a 5 degree cant. I'm looking for more like a 30-45 degree rearward cant. It looks like a nice holster though.
    NRA Life Member

I'm going to try and experiment with one of my tucker clips to see if I can get a higher ride height. The issue with an IWB with a rearward cant is that it lowers the grip of the pistol closer to the waistband. This makes it more difficult to get a good grip on the pistol since the waistband and belt are between your index finger and the grip.

I'm going to attempt to drill a hole closer to the top of the kydex clip to give the holster a higher ride height.

You are correct, beni, at least for an IWB holster. For IWB, the amount of cant I was thinking about was just enough to make the grip parallel to your belt with a high enough ride to get a good grip. Slightly more cant might be possible with an OWB.

I was tempted to try to modify MTAC for more cant/higher ride. However, my concern is that if no one else is carrying this way, then there is probably a good reason.

I think my best approach is to pick up a good cross draw OWB holster and try that in appendix carry. Worst case, I would have a good cross draw holster. If that works, then tackle trying to find an IWB cross draw holster.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Mitch Rosen holsters are too rich for my blood. Anyway, I ordered an 'Alessi' Deep Cover but it seems to be quite vertical. I'll post a review when it ever arrives.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    I was tempted to try to modify MTAC for more cant/higher ride. However, my concern is that if no one else is carrying this way, then there is probably a good reason.
    Simply, most folks find other things that work "well enough" for them generally (normal strong side holsters and if appendix, neutral cant appendix). Not because there's some operational/danger/just-doesn't-work reason regarding a holster with some reverse cant.

If something works for you and it isn't out there create it. If you can use something that is, find it, modify it as is necessary, and carry well-we're not all cookie cutter applicable here.

C-

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Mitch Rosen holsters are too rich for my blood. Anyway, I ordered an 'Alessi' Deep Cover but it seems to be quite vertical. I'll post a review when it ever arrives.
    Saber, Mitch Rosen has an Express Line that are essentially the same holsters but without any of the fancy work that are very affordable. I got my Upper Limit for $75 and it is probably my favorite holster.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links