Comp-Tac MTAC - 2 1/2 years later

This is a discussion on Comp-Tac MTAC - 2 1/2 years later within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My holster has gone through some rough, tough, desert carry , and after thirty months it's finally having some problems. For Christmas 2007--two months after ...

Thread: Comp-Tac MTAC - 2 1/2 years later

Comp-Tac MTAC - 2 1/2 years later

My holster has gone through some rough, tough, desert carry, and after thirty months it's finally having some problems.

For Christmas 2007--two months after my 21st birthday--my dad (aznav) got me a Beretta 92F and paid for my CCW class. The Beretta 92 is definitely a full-size, all-metal handgun. It's heavy and bulky. Initially I carried in one of those low-profile holster that goes between your belt and pants. It. did. not. conceal. well. I felt like I was walking around with a late-90's laptop strapped to my belt. I started researching for a reliable carry holster and, thanks mostly to the help here at the forum, settled on the MTAC.

It was an unbelievable improvement, more than I ever expected. Carrying in it is comfortable. Half the time I don't even think about it. It's as low profile as you could expect, and the weight is reasonably well-distributed. Granted I'm 6'5 and 250 lbs, so all that is relative.

I've never been made by sight (once by feel). It's been soaked in sweat, oil, and gunshot residue repeatedly. It's been covered in sand and beaten up in innumerable ways and up until recently has performed flawlessly.

---

A couple weeks ago when I holstered my pistol, the holster came clear of the rear clip. The screw had unscrewed itself. This was at least partially my fault... usually I checked and tighten the screw every couple months but had not done so in quite some time. My neglect was made clear when I realized one of the screws holding in the kydex body had fallen out sometime earlier without me realizing it.

Having lost some screws, I ordered some spare parts for a few bucks. Unfortunately when I got those I discovered that the receiving end (I am, uh, not mechanically inclined) was spinning in the leather backing--meaning that even if I had tightened the screws, it still would not have been functional. In any case, now I'm waiting on the replacement leather backing. The holster itself costed $80. Fixing it (replacement parts + leather + shipping) costs about $60--aka 3/4's of a new holster. Still, the kydex body is in great shape, and if I have to spend $60 every 30 months I'll have no complaints.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

I love my mtac
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I love my mtac
    I love how comfortable and concealable the MTAC is, what I don't like about mine is how it's wearing my 1911's parkerization down to bare metal.

I'm thinking about getting some thin leather and gluing it to the inside of the kydex to stop that nonsense.

I'm not bashing the MTAC but if you would have gotten the SuperTuck, you would not have had to pay anything. It has a lifetime warranty! That was actually something that broke the tie between those two holsters for me.

considering the only thing wrong with it now is some loose screws (and ya, any screws will come out if you dont touch em). great!
    I have had my CTAC over 3 years and still works great.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

just ordered mine today,can't wait to wear it

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Three years with my MTAC and only one broken rear clip (old style)......while on vacation. I've ordered 'extra' spares to have on-hand now.

Both my CTAC and MTAC are great holsters. Think I'll go check my screws though........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I've had a few screws loose at times also!

Happy you noticed it before your life depended on it! Be safe!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thumbs up

My P6 is snuggly sitting in mine as I write...

Love the MTAC!!
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

I love my MTac as well, not given it as rough use as given by original poster, but it is still in great shape. Wear and tear effect anything, so I'd say he got good service out it.

Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    I'm not bashing the MTAC but if you would have gotten the SuperTuck, you would not have had to pay anything. It has a lifetime warranty! That was actually something that broke the tie between those two holsters for me.
    good point !!!

Links