Pocket gun vs. full-sized tucked

This is a discussion on Pocket gun vs. full-sized tucked within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a 3" .40, and I'm comfortable with it. I don't have much experience with a DA revolver (Had one years ago, but ...

Thread: Pocket gun vs. full-sized tucked

Pocket gun vs. full-sized tucked

I currently carry a 3" .40, and I'm comfortable with it. I don't have much experience with a DA revolver (Had one years ago, but almost always fired SA), and don't shoot them all that well. In situations where I want deep cover, but need to dress well, which option do you think is better:

.40 in a tucked IWB--Slow into action, but more effective.

.38 revolver in a pocket holster--Faster into action, and at the necessary ranges you don't need to shoot that well. Practice will improve your ability with the .38

.380 in pocket holster-Equal in presentation speed to the .38, and shot placement will make up for the weaker round.

??

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Leaving aside the capacity issue - the one good thing about pocket revo, is ability to hold it and shoot from the pocket. This will be of course in part be dependent on the choice of pocket holster if any.

That will take care of the speed aspect but the .40 will as you say come out tops for performance in theory at least. If awareness is adequate tho it could well be the .40 can be accessed quick enough - at least a preparatory move to it - if something goes down.

The revo would win however IMO in the sudden situation where time is vital.

Carry both
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I would carry what I can shoot well with. Hits are top priority. Other than that, you need to decide how fast you think you need to be on the draw and what works for you.
    I have no problem with using a tuckable holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO if your .40 is allready down to 3" barrell ( you did not mention make or model ) your not going to gain anything from a revolver but less rounds, going to a p3at sized gun howeaver will deep conceal easyer and inside 15 or 20 yards i dont think the .380 gives up anything to a .38 special except bulk of the gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Howdy!
    One thing that comes to mind is that this is possibly one of those situations in which it matters less what you use, and more how you use it.
    For example: Let's say you work in an "office casual"environment and someone enters the place that you perceive to be a possible threat. (Maybe the just dumped boyfriend of the receptionist, or a recently fired employee with an axe to grind)
    IF you are equipped with a smaller handgun in a pocket holster, you can watch him with your hand already poised with a firing grip on the gun. From this position, you can easily place a shot at close range into his brainpan in about a half second, should he turn out to actually pose a threat. If he is just there trying to win her back (or pick up his last paycheck - as the case may be) and leaves without incident, no one there knows that you were/are armed and there are no repercussions.
    If, however, you are there with your trusty superblastomatic in a tuckable holster, you are either inert (because of the slow draw/presentation time) and unable to help until after some considerable harm may have been done - Or, you rip up your shirt, and go to a low ready and "cover him". At this point, if his intent turns out to be harmless, you are facing an aggravated assault or brandishing charge, and most likely you'll be the guy there next week picking up yout last paycheck. (If you've bonded out of jail)
    The dynamics of a self defense situation are fluid and we have to be able to adapt VERY quickly to either escalate, or de-escalate as circumstances warrant. Too often, we seem to think only of the "full tilt boogie" conditions in which we go all the way to putting a BG toes up. Statistically, you'll find that the situation warrants no shots being fired, far more often than not.
    Choosing the right equipment and training will go along way toward giving you that flexibility.

I think Gary hit the nail on the head with that post! Great response I complete agree with the whole thing.

+1 (or 2 I suppose). I'll add that, depending on your mode of dress, a J-frame in front jeans pocket doesn't work all that well - at least for me. Works great in cargo shorts or something with pleats though. Also, reloads with the J are generally slower than an auto, whether using speedstrips or having to pluck spent brass before using a speedloader.

I love my little 642 but I always carry at least one spare speedstrip in a dump pouch and usually another in my jeans change/watch pocket (and a speedloader or two if I'm wearing a jacket). Getting to solid cover quickly seems like it'd be critical if you choose the J-frame. They're plenty accurate though, I fired my little DAO well enough to qualify for my permit last September.
    Jack
    Last edited by maclean3; June 13th, 2006 at 01:07 PM.

From my experience, speed is rarely important for most CCW holders. For LEO and military it's a different story. When people don't know that you are armed, they rarely attack with full force. And that's the beauty of CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young
    From my experience, speed is rarely important for most CCW holders. For LEO and military it's a different story. When people don't know that you are armed, they rarely attack with full force. And that's the beauty of CCW.
    I would tend to respectfully disagree. Each confrontation is different. Making generalities is, imho, a potentially dangerous thing to do.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will step inn with a generality , I DON'T CARE FOR TUCKABLE IWB , that mode of carry ties up both hands for any speed of draw at all ( sometimes when the off side hand is desperately needed for other things such as " pushing off " an assailant , opening doors, or even bracing yourself while moving to cover ), is more prone to cover garment interfering with the draw ( if cover is not aggressively ripped out of the way ) , and if your active wearing it it can come un tucked just enough to hang on the weapon printing like a tattoo on your forehead . Although it can be virtually invisible if worn properly the downsides outweigh the benefits for ME . I shift to another carry mode/firearm in situations where I need a tucked shirt ( admittedly rare for me being in agribusiness LOL )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

So far the few times I've needed to go tucked, I've used my 642 in a DeSantis ankle holster (thanks Jim!). Not ideal by any means considering access speed but better than nothing at all. Suits or jacket weather it goes in the strongside pocket in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster. If I ever manage to score a Colt Mustang or Pony for the front pocket I'd feel much better prepared with the combo of ankle and pocket guns.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I will step inn with a generality , I DON'T CARE FOR TUCKABLE IWB , that mode of carry ties up both hands for any speed of draw at all ( sometimes when the off side hand is desperately needed for other things such as " pushing off " an assailant , opening doors, or even bracing yourself while moving to cover ), is more prone to cover garment interfering with the draw ( if cover is not aggressively ripped out of the way ) , and if your active wearing it it can come un tucked just enough to hang on the weapon printing like a tattoo on your forehead . Although it can be virtually invisible if worn properly the downsides outweigh the benefits for ME . I shift to another carry mode/firearm in situations where I need a tucked shirt ( admittedly rare for me being in agribusiness LOL )

I could not agree more!!!

Links