How do you carry in your car?

This is a discussion on How do you carry in your car? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be pocket carrying my gun and extra mag. Not the best access in a car as I have trouble reaching into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry in your car?

How do you carry in your car?

I am going to be pocket carrying my gun and extra mag.

Not the best access in a car as I have trouble reaching into my pockets sitting like that (my car seats have a lot of side-thigh bolsters).

How do you all carry in your cars? I was thinking of buying a second holster and securing it somewhere to the side of the center console (closer to the floor) OR under driver's seat. I guess I could do glove box too.

The only time I have seen a gun mounted in a car was in a police cruiser I looked inside...but it was pretty obvious and I'd rather not every person that peered into my car know where I keep my gun.

Pictures always appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I carry in my IWB holster, checkout CrossBreed, you might find something that works better than pocket carry there. They make everything to order, so, it takes a bit and is a little pricey, but well worth it!... when I get out and cannot carry with me, then I lock it up in the glove box.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I use either a cross draw holster or I use my safepacker holster when driving in my car, thus leaving an easy access to the gun if needed. even when wearing the seat belt.

Normal 2:30/3:00 forward cant. Seat belt goes in front of and below rig. Bottom three buttons of overgarment unbuttoned and it goes over seat belt. Clear and draw, almost like standing up.

VIP Member
    I carry IWB and it's not a problem for me when driving. I have practiced drawing that way and I had to learn to get the seat belt off and moved away so I didn't get tangled in it... kinda tricky!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry mine in the middle console of my small car. In Louisiana, if you carry in your car, it has to be concealed. I never carry in the glove compartment. I made that mistake once on New Year's Eve, 2008 when a young man pulled up along side of me, visibly upset about my driving. It was very late and my 10 year old daughter was in the passenger seat, in front of the glove compartment. The young man pointed his gun at my daughter and she immediately looked at me with fearful eyes and screamed. She quickly grabbed my gun, handed it to me, and picked up her cell to dial 911. In the meantime, the young man took off as I chased him through town. After a 20 minute chase, he drove into a police roadblock in front of the police station. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, but plead no contest to simple battery and got six months unsupervised probation.

Essentially plea bargined away to nothing, that sucks.

True. However, in this small town of 7000, I still see him every now and then. He stays out of my way.

However Im carrying is usually where it stays. IWB its around 3-330 I carry OWB more so it sits around 3-4 depending.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I carry in my IWB holster, checkout CrossBreed, you might find something that works better than pocket carry there. They make everything to order, so, it takes a bit and is a little pricey, but well worth it!... when I get out and cannot carry with me, then I lock it up in the glove box.
    +1 for Crossbreed!

I can draw from my ST while belted in my seat. I also, sometimes carry in my glovebox or a holster in the "door" pocket.

Be sure to check with our states laws concerning "car/vehicle" carry. In my state, it is usually best to keep it on your person if it is legal to do so.

Keeping a gun in the glovebox can make difficult, if not impossible to utilize if it's really needed fast. (Ie; car jacking)

IMO; pocket carry needs to be reserved for a bug. Even if you use the BEST pocket holsters, it is difficult at "best" to draw while moving fast to cover.

In the real world a confrontation is very fluid. So unless you have practiced drawing from your pocket while running and proven to yourself it really can be done, I suggest a good holster.

If I am wearing my Crossbreed I pull up my shirt and tuck it in-between the holster and my body so I have easy access to my G27 even while wearing my seat belt.

If I'm wearing my Smartcarry it stays where it is at. I know first hand I can draw even while belted with ease. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

I have thought about trying to work out another setup but I'm comfortable with my options at this point in time as they both work well.

On my person. I have put a gun in my glove box and all that but I always worry about someone getting to it. So I just keep one on my side.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

If I'm in my truck, I unholster and shove it between my seat and the center seat. It's tight, holds it secure and within reach (right by my leg).

If I'm in my wifes car, I unholster and put it in the door pocket.

I havne't found a "good" way to keep it on me...

JVD
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

VIP Member
    My take? The law of probability of a lethal force encounter on the street is relatively low. The probability of a lethal force encounter while I’m driving is lower yet. Now, if I lived in east L.A. I suppose I would hire a door gunner.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

In my bigger Chrysler, I just have my Glock in an OWB holster...I can get at it quickly.
    In my smaller Miata, my OWB is a bit of a challange to get to, so I bring along an extra, cheap generic holster that fits between the seat and console. I either put my EDC Glock in that holster for the drive, or I take along an extra snubbie for the drive that allows for the quick access of a firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links