Loose retention in OWB Holster

This is a discussion on Loose retention in OWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Fist pancake OWB holster, which I bought for a taurus 24/7 compact. I have been carrying my PF-9 more regularly lately in ...

Thread: Loose retention in OWB Holster

I have a Fist pancake OWB holster, which I bought for a taurus 24/7 compact.

I have been carrying my PF-9 more regularly lately in a pocket holster, but would prefer carrying it OWB.

The PF-9 fits in the pancke very nicely with the trigger fully covered, but the retention is very loose. For example, if I turned the holster upside down the gun would fall right out.

However, the draw is great and reholstering is, of course, very easy.

My question is since the holster will be concealed with a cover garment, and I won't be doing any gymnastics while carrying, is there any good reason for me not to use the holster, notwithstanding the very loose retention?

Thanks for the help on this.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

You do not know if you will be doing anything physical. Life comes at you fast sometimes. A good holster will keep your weapon secure and yet allow for a smooth draw and reholster. There are to many quality holster makers that advertise on this forum for you to carry a ill fitting one. I use a Highnoon Public Secret IWB with tension screw for my Glock 23.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Greetings Ron, where have you been hiding? You still kickin'?

OMO, but to me a holster with a snug fit is as important as having the right firearm. The purpose of a holster is to 'retain' your weapon until you really need to use it. Your life may someday depend upon the holster's retention qualities.
    Lots of guns 'almost' fit in other holsters, but I prefer to match them perfectly. Murphy's Law tells me to use the right tools for the right job...

Take care,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Would you feel comfortable wearing shoes that almost fit?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

All holsters should be snug. Over time they break in and you can even accelerate the process. However, they should never ever be "loose". When worn the gun should not move unless you pull it out of the holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I am hearing the message, loud and clear. Thanks for the input. I will get a proper fitting holster for the PF-9.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Greetings Ron, where have you been hiding? You still kickin'?

OMO, but to me a holster with a snug fit is as important as having the right firearm. The purpose of a holster is to 'retain' your weapon :

Take care,

ret
    Hi Ken,

Yep, still kickin. We have been doing a bit of traveling lately, while I am still ambulatory, and I recently took a brief hiatis from the forums.

Stay safe.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

The only holsters that might be on the looser side is an IWB holster that when worn is held firm by your belt and thus gets added retention from that. OWB holsters don't have this luxury.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    I agree with 'cmdrdredd' and his comments.

As a revolver guy from many moons ago I always preferred the security of a strap enclosure. Today, they’re harder to find. In fact many will say they’re not needed for conceal carry. I’m wearing a new Milt Sparks 'PMK' that is form fitted and I like it for what it is. Still, I would never trust it without a cover garment since anyone could easily lift the gun out from the holster that is near me. Unfortunately, many holster makers produce the same style holsters based on the monkey see – monkey do design philosophy. Everyone makes a pancake, a V-II design variation, interlacing scabbard and so on. Ironically, strap (security) closures are not on the minds of most holster makers. Some have seemingly decided what you need, and don’t need.

BTW: Though I've never tried one, the Galco FLETCH is one option and there are a couple others. Still, notice the disproportional belt loops that suggest a 1-3/4” opening to secure a simple j-frame.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saber; June 6th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

There is a huge difference between a 24x7 and PF9 so I would suggest a PF9 holster instead. I do have a RH in Brn in stock.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    There is a huge difference between a 24x7 and PF9 so I would suggest a PF9 holster instead. I do have a RH in Brn in stock.
    See PM

J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm basically a relaxed kind of guy, but if somebody shoots at me and misses I'm going to be moving as fast as I can for the next few seconds and I want my gun to stay with me!!!!!!
    Fit is more important in a CC holster than an Armani suit.

VIP Member
    I have to agree, get a proper fitting holster!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links