Thumb break or not with an OWB rig? - Page 2

Thumb break or not with an OWB rig?

This is a discussion on Thumb break or not with an OWB rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No thumb breaks for me. I have two of these and they hold my Glocks quite tightly, and very close to the body. FIST, INC....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No thumb breaks for me.
    I have two of these and they hold my Glocks quite tightly, and very close to the body.

FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Open

I got a great OWB holster for my 1911 from Don's Leather Shop
    Ostrich hide! Holds like a charm even when I jump or run. I don't see the need for a thumb snap if the holster fits well.

Not needed on a good quality holster.

VIP Member
    A thumb break holster is a good addition if you expect to be wrestling with someone over your gun, it will help you retain it IF you get your hand around the thumb break first. Better practice that!

No, I see no need for civilian purposes myself.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    The opps I just made on an owb was not getting the reinforcement/doubled up/stiffener on the top opening. I did get no retention strap, but I underestimated just how many times I would be reholstering in the process of wearing it for a day (mine compresses a bit without that extra uumph).

I know this is not what you asked but there it is anyways. Good luck.

I started with IWBs and OWBs with thumb breaks....after a while, I hated reholstering with the breaks in the way, re-snapping, etc...I cut the breaks off..

I then started buying holsters that were open tops...just as secure, easier to reholster one-handed...works best for me.

Your experience might vary...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

if CC, no thumb break. there are plenty of good holsters out there. no reason to get one with a feature meant for OC that will do nothin but possibly slow you down or hang you up. Dont get me wrong, Im a 1911 person, so i carry with a safety, but thats different. a thumb break serves no purpose if you are CCing.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Years ago it seemed like any holster you bought had a thumb break on them,in fact most police department required them.today not so much,I remember there were times that a thunbbreak hindered my draw just enough to make a difference,with the boned leather holsters today they have plenty of retention without a strap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thumb break for me for OWB.

My issue holster for duty weapon has a required thumb break so I'm thoroughly trained to use it and do so without conscious thought. My IWB personal carry holster has no thumb break, but I have no doubt that my thumb automatically is positioned to disengage the thumb break when I draw from it but, again, by now there's no conscious thought in so doing.

For my personal carry weapon, when using OWB, I want the thumb break partly for consistency with my duty weapon, but also for defense against a weapon grab attempt. (My state is OC legal, and I occasionally do so while in the outdoors).

Reholstering: Never be in a rush to reholster, regardless of the presence or absence of a thumb break, a jacket drawstring, or whatever. Look in your holster, confirm that it's clear of obstructions, and holster the weapon.

YMMV, but my main point is that with use, the thumb break will be instinctive and not appreciably slow you down on the draw.
    Last edited by alienbogey; June 8th, 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I don't OC but if I did I would imagine that a thumb break would set some of the sheeple at ease. Something about a thumb break that makes the weapon less threatening to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by tirider View Post
    I don't OC but if I did I would imagine that a thumb break would set some of the sheeple at ease. Something about a thumb break that makes the weapon less threatening to the general public.
    Because a thumb break will prevent a gun from jumping out and going on a shooting spree??

Welcome to the forum!

Personally...what other people think/feel does not affect what I carry or how I carry. Because you can't please everyone all of the time--that is, IF they notice you are carrying.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I want a thumb break on my holster.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Open top for me...
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    Thumb break for me for OWB.

My issue holster for duty weapon has a required thumb break so I'm thoroughly trained to use it and do so without conscious thought. My IWB personal carry holster has no thumb break, but I have no doubt that my thumb automatically is positioned to disengage the thumb break when I draw from it but, again, by now there's no conscious thought in so doing.

For my personal carry weapon, when using OWB, I want the thumb break partly for consistency with my duty weapon, but also for defense against a weapon grab attempt. (My state is OC legal, and I occasionally do so while in the outdoors).

Reholstering: Never be in a rush to reholster, regardless of the presence or absence of a thumb break, a jacket drawstring, or whatever. Look in your holster, confirm that it's clear of obstructions, and holster the weapon.

YMMV, but my main point is that with use, the thumb break will be instinctive and not appreciably slow you down on the draw.
    I have a similar perspective. Having been in a few scuffles while carrying as a LEO I can attest to the value of a thumb break. Its cheap insurance and provides a bit more security than without. I have no assurance that if I have to draw my concealed carry; everything will be pristine and gentlemen like'. As for ease of re-holstering, I suppose that’s a big deal for some, but in a real world encounter I can’t think of a lower priority. Anyway, since the thread question is centric on ‘preference’ I would still prefer one, if only I could find a viable option.
    Last edited by Saber; June 9th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links