Anyone use a Yaqui or JAK slide?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a Yaqui or JAK slide? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your thoughts? Do they hold the piece tight and high? Easy draw and reholster? Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Yaqui or JAK slide?

Anyone use a Yaqui or JAK slide?

What are your thoughts? Do they hold the piece tight and high? Easy draw and reholster?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I like them and have bought them from both Milt Sparks and Galco. They are the only other holsters I own outside of my Crossbreeds. For some reason, they're underrated, or just not talked about much. I find them extremely comfortable, hold the gun well with a decent belt, easy to draw from, and conceal well (with the appropriate shirt). Besides various 1911s, I also use one to carry a G30.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Thanks

Yep, a Yaqui slide... for the 1911s. Unfortunately the terrier pup adopted it as a chew toy last year and I just haven't replaced it yet. Mine was a DeSantis, I think.

A few nice things about it - first, even if it's empty, it doesn't scream "holster". Also, if you do have to disarm frequently, you don't have a big floppy thing hanging six inches down from your hip. And if you have the same basic gun in different lengths (like a Commander and a 5-inch 1911) you don't have to change holsters to accommodate the different sizes. Mine had a hole on the back side so you could position it over a belt loop, if you wanted.

Most of the Yaqui slide holsters out there would be considered medium- or even low-ride, as they put the trigger guard pretty much at belt level. Ride height is something that is not well defined in the holster biz, and last year I had to sell off a brand-new holster that the maker called "medium ride" but it was definitely too high for me. The belt slide is a very comfortable ride height for me.

There are a couple of drawbacks. Depending on whose Yaqui slide you get, there may or not be tension adjustments - I definitely prefer having them. Perhaps the biggest problem, especially if you carry a full-length piece, is that when you sit the exposed muzzle may get bumped, pushing the gun up so it's no longer snug in the leather. But that's something you just adjust for and pay attention to. Lastly, a lot of the gun is exposed, compared to "regular" holsters.

I really do prefer "minimalist" holsters - the ones that get the job done with the least amount of occupied body acreage, and the Yaqui slide design does that well. It's not for everyone - just consider your own requirements.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

gasmitty:

Thanks for the info. My reason for high ride is concealment. I'd think the higher the ride the better concealment under a t-type shirt. I've seen pics of several and some do show the tension adjustments.

I will be using this (if I get one) with my Springer MC 3" barrel, so there shouldn't be an abundance of barrel exposed. I'm not even sure if these slides come in different sizes, i.e. small, med, large!!!

Again thanks for the info.

Re concealment with a belt slide - use a good gun belt, and a t-shirt one size larger than you normally wear. It won't tuck the butt of the gun in as closely as an IWB or a more "structured" OWB model, but it's still pretty good.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks

i use the yaqui slide with the glock 27 and/or 23. works well. you will need a good gun belt to make it work. easy to draw, rides well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I've used them and liked them. I hate big, bulky holsters and the yaqui is on the bottom end of size/weight. A good, stiff belt is a MUST - there's very little bearing surface to hold the gun tight against the body. Draw is super quick, but retention can be a little lacking.

I've used them, and will probably continue to, but only as range holsters. The ride is not very high, the front sight is exposed to all manner of bumps and knocks, and they are, at least on my body, much less concealable than a good pancake like a DeSantis #2. The Sparks version, if they still make it, is more concealable than the Galco, at least by a little bit. They are easy to draw from and to reholster in, though, and pretty secure, at least until you sit down and the arm of a chair hits the protruding muzzle of your pistol. No free lunch.

Walked into a local shop today and they had what they referred to as a "quick draw belt holster." Made by TAGUA Leather. It was marked Colt 45, so I asked the gun guy if a Kimber 3" would fit. He tried it and it was a perfect fit. I told him I had a Springer 3" and felt it would work.

Got home put my gun it and it fits like a glove, so I'll use it until I get a pancake!!

Thanks for all the input.

I have two Yaqui holsters - a paddle style from Galco and a belt slide from Mernickle. They are the only OWB holsters I will use. I predominantly use 1911's with in 3",4", or 5" configurations and the Yagui works fine for all of them. I'm not sure which one I like the best. They are both well made, but the paddle holster is so convenient.

I tried the JAK slide holster once and never liked it. Not sure why, but I do like the Yaqui style very much especially with a 4" 1911.

I've got a triple K slide (agent model?) w/ thumb break. I've had it for 16 years and still wear it when I dont want to wear the CBST. It's getting soft and am looking to replace it. I know lots of people dont like thumb breaks, but if its outside my belt, I want to make darn sure its secure until I want it to be unsecure. I carry a G19. Let us know how you like it after some wear time.

I used a JAK slide for a 3" Kimber...I liked it.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

How tight do they hold your guns against your body compared to a quality OWB holster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links