Carrying spare magazine

This is a discussion on Carrying spare magazine within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry one spare magazine in a Don Hume OWB with belt slots in it. 11 rounds in the Kel-Tec and 10 rounds in the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying spare magazine

I carry one spare magazine in a Don Hume OWB with belt slots in it. 11 rounds in the Kel-Tec and 10 rounds in the spare magazine.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

Carrying spare magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Has a car never failed you in any way when all of the sudden a tire gives out? Going by that same philosophy I'd be left stranded and waiting for a tow-truck by the side of the interstate somewhere!

Magazines DO fail, and Murphy will guarantee that it fails at the worst possible moment if you allow for it!

Just my $.02!
    That's why I carry a spare. I would rather be prepared, than be carrying a $500 paperweight in a pool of my blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I carry a spare magazine in a leather mag holder, weak side at about the 8 o'clock position. If I choose to carry another I slip it in weak side pocket.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I have been looking into a comfortable way to carry an extra...this might work..Galco makes the ankle safe, which has a nice big pocket for a phone or wallet, but it doesn't have a flap over the mag like this one...so not sure if it will bite or not...

http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holste...double_mag.htm

I carry an extra Glock mag in a valcro flap, clip-on multi-tool case...works great!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Single Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech mag pouch on the off side.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I have an extra "Mag Pocket" in my Levi type pants on the weak side that is divided to carry 2 spares. I also wear 511 Covert pants with a slotted mag pocket on the weak side. For dress wear I don't carry spares.

For regular Levis, you can have them altered to extend the watch pocket deeper to fit 1 or 2 mags. It's very covert but it's on the strong side. Can also have a "mag pocket" added to your regular pocket to get a pocket-in-a-pocket on your weak side. Not expensive and can be done at home if handy with a sewing machine.

I carry two spare mags (for either my G26 or my G19), in an OWB vertical mag carrier, in the 9 o'clock position, bullets facing forward. My wife does the same with her PT709 Slim.

For those folks who do NOT carry at least one spare mag, regardless of the excuse, I URGE you, no, I STRONGLY URGE YOU to reconsider. It's not a numbers thing with rounds, it's an insurance policy based on malfunction and Murphy's law. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I just drop a spare in my left side cargo pocket. There's never any lint in there because I wash them with the flaps closed.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I carry an extra Glock mag in a valcro flap, clip-on multi-tool case...works great!
    Similar to retsupt99, I have found that my .380 mag fits PERFECTLY in an old Leatherman multi-tool case.

Carrying spare magazine

I always carry extra magzines. If just carrying my P-3at then one 10 round for backup. If carrying one of my Glocks I carry two 17 round magazines for backup. If carrying two Glocks (primary and BUG) I usally add one more 17 round magazine to the mix in a pocket.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I always try to have a reload for whatever I'm carrying; a spare mag for my PM9 or a tuffstrip if I'm carrying my j-frame (which is less frequently than in the past). they're in my weakside front pocket; gun's in the strongside pocket ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

I like to carry an extra magazine and a light at all times, and find that while I've never used the extra mag, I use the light several times a day I never would have dreamed of before I started doing it. This is what I use, I've made some changes since this one:

I usually carry 1 in an OWB mag carrier...2 for cross country trips....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    My set up is similar to dmr400's, but my mag is in the front (bullets towards the centerline of the body), and the flashlight is further back and angled away from the mag. I am still concerned that I'll grab my SureFire and try to stuff it into my mag well some day...I've seen folks do it several times during training if they don't have the two items sufficiently separated and/or if they haven't practiced enough.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links