Carrying spare magazine

Carrying spare magazine

This is a discussion on Carrying spare magazine within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Custom Hybrid Kydex/Leather holster for my G23/27. I usually carry my spare mag in the pocket (if I ever have to deal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrying spare magazine

I have a Custom Hybrid Kydex/Leather holster for my G23/27.

I usually carry my spare mag in the pocket (if I ever have to deal with a chamber issue).

I have seen single and double mag holsters, IWB and OWB.

I have even read people using cell phone cases.

If I am carrying a G23 mag for backup, how many would you carry (1 or 2)? How do you recommend carrying it for the purposes of access to the mag (IWB or OWB)?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I carry my spare mag in a pocket mag holder.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I carry one spare mag on my off side. It is behind my cell phone that is clipped to my belt at about 10:00 o'clock. The mag is carried "Mexican", no pouch, with rounds and lip facing forward. The mag is tilted at a rearward angle. Access is by hooking the lip with my index finger, then grasping it as it comes out. I have no problems access wise, or with it dropping out. Access time is very good, with no sticking like in a mag pouch.

Varies for me. Most of the time in winter, I carry a spare G23 mag in a mag holder on my support side. In summer, when I carry my G27, I also carry one spare G22 mag with a slide on grip, usually in a hidden narrow pocket behind my support side cargo pocket. There are a few other options depending on how I am dressing but the only time I carry more than one spare mag is at the range and Front Sight.
    NRA Life Member

I carry two extra G19 mags in a Highnoon Doubletake Mag Holder in the 8:30 position.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    If I am carrying a G23 mag for backup, how many would you carry (1 or 2)? How do you recommend carrying it for the purposes of access to the mag (IWB or OWB)?
    I carry 1 spare mag with my G23. I'm comfortable with the 13+1 in the gun and 13 extra in the spare. With my 1911 I carry 2 mags. 8+1 in the gun and 8 each between the 2 spare mags. I use an OWB mag holder, no issues to report with it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

i carry 1 mag in a Don Hume single mag holster cost me $29.99 hers a pic of it
    Attached Images
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I carry an extra magazine with my gun. When I use any kind of inside the pants or outside the pants belt holster, I always have a spare magazine case located on my dominant side beside the cellphone and the flashlight.

Ive started carrying 2 mags in a ankle holster. I dont care for the belt holsters and I ran out of real estate in my pockets. Ankle Magazine holder, flashlight, knife
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

If I'm carrying my glock19 no.It has never failed me in any way.If I can't do it is 16 then I'm in deep doodoo.If i'm carrying my 1911,then yes as it will give me a total of 17. sj

I always carry at least one spare mag for all of my Glocks. Usually it is my 27 with one spare mag in a DeSantis mag pouch on my support side, behind the hip. If the location calls for more ammo, I'll strap on the double mag pouch from Pure Kustom.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    If I'm carrying one mag then its in my pocket, it I'm carying more than one then I have it in my mag holder on my belt.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I carry two spare mags for my Beretta 92FS on my belt on my weak side in a mag pouch horizontal. I is not as tall that way and it snaps open with the brush of my hand.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Quote Originally Posted by kane4111 View Post
    i carry 1 mag in a Don Hume single mag holster cost me $29.99 hers a pic of it
    Same here for my Glocks and my 1911's.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    If I'm carrying my glock19 no.It has never failed me in any way.If I can't do it is 16 then I'm in deep doodoo.If i'm carrying my 1911,then yes as it will give me a total of 17. sj
    Has a car never failed you in any way when all of the sudden a tire gives out? Going by that same philosophy I'd be left stranded and waiting for a tow-truck by the side of the interstate somewhere!

Magazines DO fail, and Murphy will guarantee that it fails at the worst possible moment if you allow for it!

Just my $.02!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links