IWB or OWB mag carry

This is a discussion on IWB or OWB mag carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for spare mag carry. My biggest question is IWB or OWB. With having to adjust ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB or OWB mag carry

IWB or OWB mag carry

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for spare mag carry. My biggest question is IWB or OWB. With having to adjust my clothing already for IWB CC, I'm not sure I want to also do IWB for mags. Seems like it would throw everything out of whack clothing wise. It's also just one more thing I have to try to conceal. So far I just carry my extra mag in the side pouch in my EDC pack.

I'm also considering a OWB mag/flashlight holster

1. How many of you carry spare mags every day?
    2. IWB or OWB?
    3. Separate mag holster or combo gun/strong-side mag holster?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

2. Remove Ads

cmb
    1. I carry spare mags every day,
    2. neither, I carry it or them in my pockets
    3. no

IWB never was comfortable for me, OWB not really an option since I tuck my shirt most of the time...

I carry my extra mags in weakside front or back pocket depending upon pants and number of mags...

I use an old front pocket wallet holster for my extra mag, recently I found some thick leather patches 3" x 3.5" and sewed them together to make another, plan to do one more (I'll have to modify it a little) for a double stack mag and then I should be good for several years...

1) Every day. With my Glock 23 I carry 1 spare, with my 1911 I carry 2.
    2) OWB, no problems
    3) Separate holder for mags, weak side.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

1. Every day
    2. IWB
    3. "Mexican", weak side behind cell phone

Every day since I got my new rig. Weak side in a Sparks S-4C.

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

1. Every day, two mags for 1911 or M&P
    2. OWB (MS for the 1911, DGL for my M&P, his double mag carrier with the forward mag canted is great for doublestack mags)
    3. Seperate mag carrier weak side.

I've found having the weight on the weak side kind of balances out the load a bit, especially since I carry full size pistols. I can't imagine going IWB with my mags as I'd have to buy huge pants which I wouldn't be able to wear comfortably when I'm carrying my revolver or not carrying because I have to go on base. They shouldn't be much harder to conceal than a pistol, though if they are long mags and you lean to the side they can print pretty badly (haven't had trouble with my M&P mags, but I have to watch it with the 1911 mags). Also, I prefer the belt loop style of mag carrier over snap loops because they conform to my side better so the mags aren't in a straight line, probably not an issue with a single mag carrier though.

OWB in a Blackhawk CQC......or in my pocket. My light goes in a pocket or an old Gerber multi-tool holster.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

IWB mags seem to dig into my side...just OWB clipped to my belt for me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    1. Every day, two mags for 1911 or M&P
    2. OWB (MS for the 1911, DGL for my M&P, his double mag carrier with the forward mag canted is great for doublestack mags)
    3. Seperate mag carrier weak side.

I've found having the weight on the weak side kind of balances out the load a bit, especially since I carry full size pistols. I can't imagine going IWB with my mags as I'd have to buy huge pants which I wouldn't be able to wear comfortably when I'm carrying my revolver or not carrying because I have to go on base. They shouldn't be much harder to conceal than a pistol, though if they are long mags and you lean to the side they can print pretty badly (haven't had trouble with my M&P mags, but I have to watch it with the 1911 mags). Also, I prefer the belt loop style of mag carrier over snap loops because they conform to my side better so the mags aren't in a straight line, probably not an issue with a single mag carrier though.
    Are the mags with your 1911 using large base pads? I've often wondered if that made a significant difference in concealment, even though they are great for slapping the mag home (and easy to grab). I have the low profile pads on my Wilson Combat mags because of that. I thought they would conceal better.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

1. yes
    2. pocket

I carry a spare mag owb on my weak side at 8 o'clock. It helps balance out the weight and it is not at all noticable.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty convinced that IWB would be annoying and not really needed.
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

1. yes, 1
    2. OWB (cant fit IWB holster AND mag comfortably)
    3. Depends on CCW (XD9sc mag = OWB-weak side; MK9 = combo holster/mag-strong side with possibly 2 more in mag wallet)

VIP Member
    Outside! Whatever I use to conceal the IWB holster easily conceals an OWB magazine pouch. I have enough going on with me and the gun inside my waistband!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Carry 1 spare mag in an OWB Blackhawk kydex holster.

When I roll with my 1911, two mags OWB.

The only time I've contemplated an IWB mag holster, is when I'm wearing a suit. I've considered it for tuckable purposes, when the AZ sun prohibits a jacket.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links