Carry Ideas For Ladies? (Ruger SP101)

This is a discussion on Carry Ideas For Ladies? (Ruger SP101) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, My wife finally has her SP101 on order now and we've looked at a lot of CC attire that may work out ok ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Ideas For Ladies? (Ruger SP101)

Carry Ideas For Ladies? (Ruger SP101)

Hi all,
    My wife finally has her SP101 on order now and we've looked at a lot of CC attire that may work out ok but we're not sure. We're looking for ideas that some of the ladies here or guys here that their wives carry, may have that have worked out the best for them. It gets quite hot here during the summer and she will usually wear shorts, no belt and either a T shirt or tanktop when she's not at work. Of course, the winter time is probably not going to be a problem but it would be nice to have some pros and cons insight from some of the ladies that pack heat, in the heat. I'm thinking for her, maybe getting used to a fanny pack is something to try. A purse seems to be too easy to set down and not be in immediate control of.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Wow you're dog can read!

If she wears shorts without a belt I guess pocket carry is the way to go.

You could try something like a Galco tuck-n-go IWB and see if you can get her to wear a belt.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

Many women (including my wife) will not wear a belt, and that really narrows down the modes of carry.
    My wife has a couple of small waist packs the seem to work for her...at least the gun is attached to her.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife doesn't usually wear a belt, so she pocket carries her SP101 in a Don Hume 001.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

If she is going to pocket carry cancel that order on the SP-101. While it is a fine gun, I have one myself, It's too heavy. Pocket guns must be pocket sized. That means an alloy frame snub nose; S&W 642, 340, Ruger LCR or one of the wonder 380's; LCP, PM380, P-238, Kel-Tec and a good pocket holster. It's good to keep loaded weight very near ONE POUND.

Having been a holster maker for 38 years now, I have been dealing with issues faced by the ladies for quite a while.

General information:

1. Holster designs that work very well for men do not always serve the ladies well. Differences in physique make a big difference. Most ladies have a completely different body profile than men (thank goodness!), smaller waists, larger hips, etc. Holsters designed for male use (high-ride, butt-forward cant) can be very uncomfortable for many women.

2. Most women are not accustomed to wearing belts, especially not wider and sturdier belts that are suitable for carrying a holstered weapon.

3. Many ladies' wardrobes are not well-suited to concealed carry. Clothing that is flattering to a lady's shape may not provide for easy concealment.

4. Most ladies are not accustomed to carrying much of anything in their clothing, relegating practically everything to a purse. Men usually carry wallets, keyrings, pocket change, handkerchiefs, and other things in our pockets; women seldom do so.

So, a few suggestions to consider:

A. A good belt is required for any holstered handgun, whether IWB or OWB. Make sure that the belt selected comfortably fits the contours of the lady's hips and can be worn with the clothing to be used.

B. Belt holsters should ride somewhat lower than those usually selected by men. Instead of high-ride, think "mid-ride".

C. Holsters having a neutral cant will have less tendency to thrust the grip into the lady's rib-cage area.

D. Shoulder holsters are seldom usable by females, the harnesses having a tendency to interfere with brassiere straps.

My general suggestion is to try a mid-ride holster with neutral cant worn at or near the appendix position. Hammer shields or slide shields improve comfort. With smaller revolvers or semi-autos this is usually pretty comfortable, either IWB or OWB, and can be concealed with any loose-fitting blouse or sweater.

I hope this helps.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

First:Lobeleather, Welcome from Central Texas!!!!

Wife has had these problems with CC.

She is looking at Belly band holsters, What is your thinking on them for a lady that carries a P3AT+mag?

By the way very good info in your post!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

los
    Hello, Ray.

WELCOME to the Forum. Glad to have you..!

- Jimmy
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Hello, Ray.

WELCOME to the Forum. Glad to have you..!

- Jimmy
    +1

Just received your email this morning and the wife is sending out the check this morning.

As for the OP...my wife finally settled on crossdraw with an MK9 as her main concealed carry method. When she carries the SP101 (mainly for hiking etc.) it is on her hip and she isn't worried about it showing.

Thanks for the advice and welcome to the forum from California loboleather! Good information here and it's nice to hear some experiences good or bad. We've been looking at all sorts of stuff from fanny packs to purses with pistol pouches to jackets and I guess they all have their ups and downs. The main problem with just looking them up online is just that. You can look all you want but can't make a choice best for you unless you order all of it out there and try them out when they show up. I think the main thing she's looking for is something that will, most importantly, keep the weapon on her person. I'm agreement here with retsupt99 as far as that goes. That particular pistol does seem a bit heavy for pocket carry.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'd look at a belly band/smart carry. I know many Nurses and Pharmacists who use these when they're wearing scrubs and can't have a belt on. They're super concealable.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Hi all,
    My wife finally has her SP101 on order now and we've looked at a lot of CC attire that may work out ok but we're not sure. We're looking for ideas that some of the ladies here or guys here that their wives carry, may have that have worked out the best for them. It gets quite hot here during the summer and she will usually wear shorts, no belt and either a T shirt or tanktop when she's not at work. Of course, the winter time is probably not going to be a problem but it would be nice to have some pros and cons insight from some of the ladies that pack heat, in the heat. I'm thinking for her, maybe getting used to a fanny pack is something to try. A purse seems to be too easy to set down and not be in immediate control of.
    Yeah, you don’t want her purse to end up like the prototype iPhone. Still, it’s a popular carry for women. Based on the revolver of choice and her dress code, there are few viable options. Perhaps some of our more prolific gun gals will chime in.

For now, take a look at this members website: http://corneredcat.com/
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Thanks for the info guys. My wife and I have checked out the sites presented on this thread and she's been able to narrow it down to a couple of different ones to check out. That, along with the input from everyone, I think we can find something that she will be comfortable with and something that will be on her instead of at the bottom of a purse.

Maybe its just me... but I really dont see how girls can pockey carry. Pockets in girls pants/shorts are SO much smaller that guys. I buy jeans with the biggest pockets I can find and I still just fit my small thin wallet and small flashlight in one, and my phone and knife in the other. no way is even a keltec gonna fit in there.
    Although I dont see how adding a belt is a big deal, I can certanly understand the thin tight-ish shirt problem. I highly suggest smartcarry. Thats what I use for deep concealment. When I am hiking outside and its hot, etc, then I use my wilderness safepacker holster, but that requires a belt:
    Safepacker Concealed Carry Holster - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

Here is a review I did for smartcarry for ladies. May help out:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...w-females.html
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

CC

I can appreciate the difficulties that women have with CC. I agree that belts and IWB or OWB leather is a tough sell. Above, the suggestion was made for a Smart Carry, which I will second here. I've used one myself for the past couple of years. However I do prefer the IWB leather carry over these band type holster because of the wear factor. If she carries every day, expect to replace a Smart Carry or Thunderwear holster every year and a half. The bands stretch out and holster frays with use over time. But they are reasonably priced and a good alternative in some cases. And, they will make carrying a SP-101 very acceptable and comfortable.
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links