Innovations in Carry

Innovations in Carry

This is a discussion on Innovations in Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Innovations in carry So, what innovations have been made in the area of carry/concealed carry? People have been carrying guns for hundreds of years but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Innovations in Carry

Innovations in Carry

Innovations in carry

So, what innovations have been made in the area of carry/concealed carry? People have been carrying guns for hundreds of years but the way that people carry their guns is constantly changing and evolving. I think that there has probably been a lot of innovation ever since concealed carry become available in more states.

Feel free to include products which were poorly conceived, poorly designed or merely poorly implemented. Not all innovations work out in the end and not all concealment systems work for everyone.

Fanny Pack: I’m not sure how long it has been since the first person decided that a fanny pack would be a great spot to carry a handgun. I think the 1980’s was the heyday of the fanny pack so it probably happened around that time. Fanny packs have become almost cliché within the gun community. I believe that innovations are still being made with fanny packs to make them less noticeable and more versatile.

Safepacker: I would describe the safepacker as a refinement of the fanny pack design. I think that the safepacker fails to add much versatility to the fanny pack design but I think that it does a good job at being a fanny pack that doesn’t “look” like a fanny pack.

Camelbak Goblin: Camelbak has a new concealment fanny pack called the Goblin. I’ve yet to see one in person or read a review of one but it combines hydration, a bit of storage and concealment. Could be a decent improvement especially for runners. Probably not likely to be noticed either since it clearly has a non-gun purpose (hydration).

IWB holsters: These have probably been around too long to be considered an innovation although there may be innovation within the IWB category. Not sure how long IWB holsters have been around.

Day Planner Holsters
    : Many concealment methods are an effort to camouflage your gun with items that have become commonplace in our day. The pager pal is another example of hiding in plain sight.

Clip Draw:

Belly Bands:

Pager Pal
    :

Smartcarry:

Please continue to add other innovations and your comments.

Assistant Administrator
    Maybe add the pocket holster - which I'd guess is something of relatively recent production. May be wrong.

It does give that reduction in gun profile as well being protective regarding lint etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    How about the groin holster, an "ultra deep cover" rig?

To access your weapon (firearm) required unzipping your fly.

No kidding, this holster was actually on the market several years ago.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    How about the groin holster, an "ultra deep cover" rig?

To access your weapon (firearm) required unzipping your fly.

No kidding, this holster was actually on the market several years ago.
    ...the Smart Carry is an example of such a holster. There are others, but I believe that the Thunderware holster, followed by the Smart Carry started the popularity trend with this time of concealed carry rig.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    ...the Smart Carry is an example of such a holster. There are others, but I believe that the Thunderware holster, followed by the Smart Carry started the popularity trend with this time of concealed carry rig.
    No, the holster I refer to pre-dates the Smart Carry & Thunderwear rigs. It was not worn around the waist like the Smart Carry & Thunderwear, but was worn around the upper inside thigh, & required the wearer's fly to be unzipped to draw the pistol.

It was designed for use by undercover narcs & for small pistols like .25 autos.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Pistol that pops out of my fly? Sounds a little too close for comfort...
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

No, the holster I refer to pre-dates the Smart Carry & Thunderwear rigs. It was not worn around the waist like the Smart Carry & Thunderwear, but was worn around the upper inside thigh, & required the wearer's fly to be unzipped to draw the pistol.

There may have been others but I know that Chic Gaylord and Seventrees both made a groin holster.

Administrator
    Louis Alessi designed the pull through shoulder holster which requires no retention strap.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member

ahhh....gotcha.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Carry concealed in plain sight!

Camera pouches have been mentioned as have CD player cases (decorated with earphones to be more convincing.

Yesterday, I was poking around a thrift store and happened on a nice little vertical belt pouch that did not say "gun" at all. It looked more like a travel pouch. Much less suggetive and cumbersome than a fanny pack.

Besides the main vertical compartment which zips open from the R, it has a couple of little zip pockets, a key holder and a front padded flap with a snap colusure system like fanny pack belts have (what ARE those things called?), and some elastic lacing to tuck some small object behind (mag in knife pouch? tac light?; the flap hides the print of the gun. Just not "gunny".

I didn't think I should pull my Glock 26 right there and see if it would fit (I might have caused other fits) However, I was certain it would fit my Kel-Tek P11. Great travel pouch, if not.

I asked the price and was amazed at 40 cents, so bought it on the spot! (didn't even haggle ).

I have been messing with it this morning. The Glock fits VERY snugly To my surprise, the Kel-Tec, which is less bulky, was a very snug fit too, and there IS barely room for a spare KT mag under the barrel.

A fast draw it is not (yet). However, I think it will be good for those places where no gun has gone before, especially in hot summer wear.

It needs some mods to improve it. I already stitched the belt loop to make it narrower so the pouch snugs to the body better and added a small lanyard loop to the zipper so it is easier to grab.

Next, I cut the strap that closes the front flap and added velcro so it can be ripped open for much faster draw: the existing plastic snap remains to hide the velcro. It needs a magazine loop too, for the KT.

LESSON: thrift stores and a little imagination and customizing can generate novel new carry solutions.

By the way, my CCW instructor made a deal with a local thrift store for a discount for his students: they can try cover garment solutions very cheaply. Suggest the idea to your instructor or club: it's good PR, and everyone benefits.

Edited 6/16. ~ 6.20 pm for omitted material.

C
    Last edited by cgraham; June 14th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    Pistol that pops out of my fly? .

Have one of those, not too good for self defense though...

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
    Fanny Pack: Fanny packs have become almost cliché within the gun community.
    I understand why you made this comment, but I'm not so sure the common public are aware of this. I, for example, until a year ago, would just look at a fanny packer as just someone who is lost in time. I would never suspect for a second that a gun would be there.

The average person (non-CCW/LEO) doesn't have a clue.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

It was not worn around the waist like the Smart Carry & Thunderwear, but was worn around the upper inside thigh, & required the wearer's fly to be unzipped to draw the pistol.

Actualy a cool idea. I mean... what guy would what want to look or frisk there?

It must suck being a narc in a gay bar! "Hey big boy are ya afraid of hights, or happy to see me?"
    Last edited by gregarat; June 14th, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Louis Alessi designed the pull through shoulder holster which requires no retention strap.
    Gaylord was the first (as far as I know) to use a pull through snap on a horizontal shoulder holster (the Dynamite), on a vertical pivoting shoulder holster (the Blue Streak) and on a belt holster. I know that Seventrees later built a belt version for sure (don't know about shoulder type application).

Lou Alessi's Fieldmaster is quite similar in function to Gaylord's Blue Streak. The difference between snap application on the Dynamite VS Alessi's Bodyguard was that Gaylord placed the snap behind the trigger guard on a revolver while Lou designed his to snap inside the trigger guard on autos and pistol. I'd think you still have to say it has a retention strap (part of the the pull through snap system) it's just not of the thumb break or snap over strap type. One thing for sure, Lou has a lot of happy Bodyguard customers!!
    Last edited by Matt Del Fatti; June 14th, 2006 at 09:04 PM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think Kydex would qualify for an innovation , not one I necessarily approve of , but an innovation none the less .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links