IWB Taurus 1911 5" Holster?

This is a discussion on IWB Taurus 1911 5" Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I have been "trolling" for a couple of days and have decided on the Taurus PT 1911. Now, I realize that some think this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Taurus 1911 5" Holster?

IWB Taurus 1911 5" Holster?

Okay, I have been "trolling" for a couple of days and have decided on the Taurus PT 1911. Now, I realize that some think this is too difficult to CC. I am a big man, and have decided that I really wanted a 1911. Maybe it isn't everyone's choice for CC, and maybe it won't be mine after trying. But, I decided that I wanted to give it a whirl.

I have searched the site and done numerous searches for an IWB holster with a tumb break and haven't had much luck. I am also looking for a body shield to keep me from sweating on the gun in the Kansas humidity. So, I am genuflecting and asking you all for help. Please don't be to hard on me for starting a thread that may be covered elsewhere...

Summary: I need an IWB with thumb break and body shield. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Thanks! But, which should I order? I have heard that the Taurus rail system is a bit wider than others. As the Taurus PT 1911 isn't listed, which would be my best bet do you think?

VIP Member
    I am not sure about the rail but without the rail any holster for a 1911 pattern will fit the Taurus.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Tongie View Post
    Thanks! But, which should I order? I have heard that the Taurus rail system is a bit wider than others. As the Taurus PT 1911 isn't listed, which would be my best bet do you think?
    As long as your pistol is not the railed version, it'll fit any standard 1911 holster.

sgb
    Don Hume is a crap holster. Thumb break CCW holsters are in general unnecessary. A good, quality concealed carry holster retains the firearm due to fit.

If you're looking for a QUALITY holster with a fast delivery then look at the Occidental's Stronghold® Phoenix

With 30 + years of buying and trying holsters I can tell you that You get what you pay for.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    As long as your pistol is not the railed version, it'll fit any standard 1911 holster.

Right, I am aware of that. However the one I have DOES have the rail system... I wish it didn't, but it does. Trading it in for one without is not an option right now due to economics. So, does anyone know where I can find one that accomodates the rail system?

I've CC'd a 1911 for sometime, and I believe that your major issue is that you are looking for a thumb-break holster.

Now, I really don't mean to get into a religious war over this (and there ARE people who feel strongly about this) but I would STRONGLY suggest you spend more time researching this before you spend money on a holster for a 1911 with a thumb break.

There are a lot of 1911 specific web sites, (I'd recommend my favorites, but google pops them right up in .01 seconds) and the information you find will probably surprise you.

There IS a reason that most 1911 holsters come WITHOUT a thumb break, - quite simply, they shouldn't have them.... but hey, if you're DETERMINED to buy one, then just ignore me. I won't mention it again unless you want my input.

good luck.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the thumb break is not necessary at all...if its the little strap between the hammer and the firing pin thats attracting you it is not necessary and can do more to sabotage your draw and reholster than keep you safe...the gun isnt going anywhere...

the 1911 isnt hard to carry as its a narrow gun and hides well...especially iwb...the only drawback is weight...if thats ok then youll have no problem...

if the holster is stated to fit with a rial it will...youve probably read a post here about a railed 1911 that wouldnt fit right in a customer holster...that was becasue the narrow area behind the rail was boned into the holster and made it difficult to get the gun in and out...a holster from hume or someone similar isnt going to have that issue and it probably wouldnt be all that hard to overcome with a little work if necessary...

i own a few humes (715 & 721ot)...high noon (real nice holster)....bladetech (i highly recommend both iwb and owb) and still go back to the humes on occassion for the simplicity and they do a great job...buy what youre comfortable with...as you gain more experience and your tastes or requirements change you might want something different and knnow better what that is....

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have to agree with sgb, the Hume holster is of bargain basement quality, hence the low price. The best quality I have found is UBG, HBE and C5 which is right there in Kansas. IMO UBG is the best as far as leather quality, molding and contouring, and I have owned Sparks, etc.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I didn't see anything saying you had to have leather. Have you looked at Comp-Tac's IWBs. The list a railed 1911. There is no thumb break, but as others have said, you really don't need one for IWB, unless you really want one.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Okay, I am willing to look for one without the thumb break after thinking it over some more. I appreciate all of your input! After looking through the master list of holster makers and slim's post I have contacted c5. I like the fact that they are just down the road from me and I can keep my money close to home.

I haven't pulled the trigger (pardon the pun) on the transaction, and I won't for a couple of days, so feel free to chime in with other options I may have missed.

I really appreciate your time and expertise!

CrossBreed

The End
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    My 1911's are 4". I carry them IWB a lot.

The Milt Sparks VM-II is a great holster. I also have a TT Gunleather that works equally as well.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OK;

That said... when I spend MY money (and I can't think of any better advice than what somebody does with their own money) I buy from Crossbreed, Comp Tac, or High-noon holsters.

The cheapest is the crossbreed, and it's quite nice. The best would be a high-noon.

You mentioned a body-guard because of the humidity. Well, you can get the High-noon in horse-hide (which resists water better) AND if you ask, they will dip your holster in a custom formulated water repellent for you. - it works great.

Heck, the others might offer that too, but I've got experience with the high-noon. I suppose it's worth a call though.

Of course, if C5 were right around the street from me, I'd give them a try too.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links