Help me carry my CW45 (in the car).

This is a discussion on Help me carry my CW45 (in the car). within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, Great forum, really learning a lot. Hoping you guys can help me with the concealed carry of my new Kahr CW45. Basically I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me carry my CW45 (in the car).

Help me carry my CW45 (in the car).

Greetings,

Great forum, really learning a lot.

Hoping you guys can help me with the concealed carry of my new Kahr CW45. Basically I am new (couple of months) to carrying at all, and am trying to figure out what works best for me.

I have a Looper gun belt and a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB holster, and I have no problem effectively and comfortably carrying and concealing when out walking around or riding motorcycles. BTW, I carry at about 4:30 and I'm 6'2", 175 lbs.

But when in the car there is no way I can drive comfortably for more than a few minutes (actually it is never comfortable in the car, but I will accept that for a short ride) with this setup.

Do people really carry medium to large frame pistols IWB while driving?

I don't like the idea of removing my pistol from my person while I drive, but for those that might, do you leave the holster on and re-holster upon exiting the vehicle? Seems sketchy to me.

I'm thinking OWB at 3 o'clock is the only way I could ride comfortably in the car, but that pretty much forces me to carry that way all the time because I don't want to be changing holsters, etc while entering or exiting my car. I feel I would also have to always have an extra shirt to put on over to effectively conceal (not just a t-shirt like I can with IWB carry).

Wondering if appendix carry would work for me for carrying in the car and then out and about on the street? Wish I could try it without buying a holster I might never use.

Any recommendations from real world experience would be very much appreciated. Did I mention this is a great forum?

[edit] - not interested in a "car specific" holster carry option. I need something that will work seamlessly when moving from outside the car to inside the car, etc.

Should I just suck it up and be uncomfortable, or maybe a different IWB with a higher or lower position would help? [edit]

thanks

VAGuy
    Last edited by VAguy; June 16th, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: forgot some info

2. Remove Ads

When I'm in the car for more then about a hour I use a Tommy's fanny pack and just lay it between the seats easy to get to and when I get out of car just put it on. Look like everyone else you see on road and never have weapon out where somebody can see it.

I carry a large weapon and drive quite a lot.

You'll want to keep in mind all of the variables before you spend any money... The way you carry and the holster you use both interact with the car you drive, the way you use your seatbelt, and the posture you exhibit when you drive.

I'm not saying to buy a new car, but just take a minute to consider if sitting a slightly different way can be done (maybe moving the seat back an inch), or shifting the seatbelt slightly forward or back.

Personally, I had to move the seat back 1 inch (and then adjust the wheel to the 1 inch farther) and adjust the way I carry slightly. For me; I naturally carried in the 4:00 position, but had to switch to either 3: 00 or 5:00 to be comfortable (I chose 5:00 since there was far less printing with my body style and weapon). It took about 5 days to get used to the new way, but I certainly wasn't going to switch cars (I'm also called Fozzy_Bear on corvetteforum.com . I'm quite fond of my car.).

Maybe just buying a new holster will do the trick, but hopefully if you try a few little tweaks, you will not have to buy anything new, and still have all the access and conceal ability that you want.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    When I'm in the car for more then about a hour I use a Tommy's fanny pack and just lay it between the seats easy to get to and when I get out of car just put it on. Look like everyone else you see on road and never have weapon out where somebody can see it.
    Thanks for the response. While a good solution, I probably won't be going the fanny pack route. It would look very out of place on me I suspect and would draw attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I carry a large weapon and drive quite a lot.

For me; I naturally carried in the 4:00 position, but had to switch to either 3: 00 or 5:00 to be comfortable (I chose 5:00 since there was far less printing with my body style and weapon). It took about 5 days to get used to the new way......
    Can you access the weapon when carried in that position without 1) removing seat belt 2) bending or sliding forward in the seat?

Here's my thought ... use a paddle holster and take it off in the car, putting it someplace where it's concealed yet accessible ... put it back on as you exit the vehicle and you're good to go ... in most cases if you're carrying on your right side, drawing around the seatbelt is risky business; you can use the same paddle holster crossdraw and have unobscured access to your gun even while driving, and concealment when you get out is the same as strongside ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by VAguy View Post
    Can you access the weapon when carried in that position without 1) removing seat belt 2) bending or sliding forward in the seat?
    Yes, I can get it without removing the seat belt; but I DO have to lean forward or twist my torso counter clockwise (as if to speak to somebody out the window).

But nothing you can do (in a car or otherwise ) can really beat the fact that you have to pick between concealment, and accessibility. In the environment I am usually in, I need high concealment. I know full well that means less accessibility.

If I think I'll actually NEED a gun to go where I'm going... Well then I WILL NOT GO there! This is, from the start, a "being over-prepared is better than under prepared" thing.

If I was a LEO, (or even a mobster or drug runner) then I'd wear a cross-draw pancake and have my weapon ready in a moment at any time. - I'm not; so I don't. And I fully expect to go the next 50 years without ever drawing my weapon. - That doesn't mean that I'm going to bet the life of my family on it though. TO ME, the need to lean forward (once, if ever) will be far more than worth it for the almost total concealment (every day) I get from a tuck-able IWB at 5:00. - Your mileage may vary, and I won't judge you if you feel differently.

Heisenberg may have slept here

Distinguished Member
    Could you try an inexpensive clip on IWB and fit it into your boot? Like an Uncle Mikes just to prove the concept? This would also be an excuse to get new boots.

Just thinking out loud here.

BikerBill had a good idea. I carry my 1911 in a Fobus paddle holster easily anchored into my door panel while in the car for more than 15 minutes. I also have a Fobus for my .357 SW Model 60 i carry the same way if that's my gun d'jour.

I find paddle holsters awkward to yank in and out of my pants, particularly while sitting in my car in a parking lot, so the paddle holsters stay in the car & I just move the gun from my IWB to the door panel when I get in. For me, paddle holsters easily snap into place because the door panel of my car has a nice lip along the inside. I also keep a black washcloth to drape over it because it's not exactly "concealed" otherwise.

spend some time considering options while sitting in your car. something very simple may reveal itself.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbill View Post
    Here's my thought ... use a paddle holster and take it off in the car, putting it someplace where it's concealed yet accessible ... put it back on as you exit the vehicle and you're good to go ... in most cases if you're carrying on your right side, drawing around the seatbelt is risky business; you can use the same paddle holster crossdraw and have unobscured access to your gun even while driving, and concealment when you get out is the same as strongside ...
    I see what you are saying bikerbill, an OWB holster would certainly be easier to take on|off or move around than the rig I have now. The Desantis Cozy Partner comes OFF very fast, but is near impossible for me to put back on without dropping my pants. I like the idea of maybe wearing crossdraw too. I have a paddle holster for my Colt Govt Model 380 so I will experiment with it (actually it is what I'm carrying now, trying to move up to the .45).

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    Yes, I can get it without removing the seat belt; but I DO have to lean forward or twist my torso counter clockwise (as if to speak to somebody out the window).

But nothing you can do (in a car or otherwise ) can really beat the fact that you have to pick between concealment, and accessibility. In the environment I am usually in, I need high concealment. I know full well that means less accessibility.

If I think I'll actually NEED a gun to go where I'm going... Well then I WILL NOT GO there! This is, from the start, a "being over-prepared is better than under prepared" thing.

If I was a LEO, (or even a mobster or drug runner) then I'd wear a cross-draw pancake and have my weapon ready in a moment at any time. - I'm not; so I don't. And I fully expect to go the next 50 years without ever drawing my weapon. - That doesn't mean that I'm going to bet the life of my family on it though. TO ME, the need to lean forward (once, if ever) will be far more than worth it for the almost total concealment (every day) I get from a tuck-able IWB at 5:00. - Your mileage may vary, and I won't judge you if you feel differently.

This is all very good info and advice. I feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    BikerBill had a good idea. I carry my 1911 in a Fobus paddle holster easily anchored into my door panel while in the car for more than 15 minutes. I also have a Fobus for my .357 SW Model 60 i carry the same way if that's my gun d'jour.

I find paddle holsters awkward to yank in and out of my pants, particularly while sitting in my car in a parking lot, so the paddle holsters stay in the car & I just move the gun from my IWB to the door panel when I get in. For me, paddle holsters easily snap into place because the door panel of my car has a nice lip along the inside. I also keep a black washcloth to drape over it because it's not exactly "concealed" otherwise.

spend some time considering options while sitting in your car. something very simple may reveal itself.
    Cool picture, sure looks like business!

Try a vertical OWB high ride holster like a U.S. Highride and wear it in front of your hip (2:00). I do this with my PM9, it is very comfortable and accessible while seated in a car without having to twist around. I carry a double mag pouch on the opposite side, same place.

Hoping you guys can help me with the concealed carry of my new Kahr CW45...

Do people really carry medium to large frame pistols IWB while driving?
    I don't understand the problem. The Kahr CW45 is not a big gun, by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Try a vertical OWB high ride holster like a U.S. Highride and wear it in front of your hip (2:00). I do this with my PM9, it is very comfortable and accessible while seated in a car without having to twist around. I carry a double mag pouch on the opposite side, same place.
    I just might try that, thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links