Emergency weak side carry holster

This is a discussion on Emergency weak side carry holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a rude awakening this AM. My old neck injury flared up bad,I have 2 Titanium rods in my neck and I guess some ...

I had a rude awakening this AM. My old neck injury flared up bad,I have 2 Titanium rods in my neck and I guess some nerves must be pinched bad,it's Friday,no Doctors, until Monday! I have no feeling what so ever in my right hand.Thank GOD I can shoot almost as proficiently with my left hand,but I realized,I don't have a holster for my EDC to wear on my weak side.
    I did find one I could change the clip around on for my BUG,so I'll have to use that till matters clear up,but then I realized I'm not proficient in drawing from my weak side.
    Just something I thought I would share with everyone,don't take everything for granted,you never know when you might injure that good hand,buy another holster for your weak side,try to become a little proficient with it and also in shooting with the weak hand,don't wait till your defenseless!

Stay safe!

I carry a BUG on my support hand side.

Usually it's been a J-Frame, but now it's a Glock 26 in my pocket, in a Mika Pocket Holster. To me it just makes sense to have a gun accesable to either hand.

http://tacticaltexan.wordpress.com/2...ocket-holster/

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 18th, 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: link added.

I try to spend a block of my range time at each session working on "contingency drills." Drawing from weak side, using my BUG, shooting with off hand, shooting without my prescription glasses, etc.. Sometimes I don't get around to doing all of it, but I make the effort to work on having at least one of those types of handicaps.

I don't have a weak side holster for all my carry guns, but I do have a couple. I have several pocket holsters and a left hand (weak) IWB holster for my LCP & XD9sc.

It pays to train for the unexpected.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Definitely practice with the support hand is needed. Something I've neglected to do.

I've passed on chances to get left-handed holsters, thinking that I had no use for them

On a side note; a plug for pocket carry holsters: they're ambidextrous.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Massad Ayoob mentions this issue in the last paragraph of the following holster review:

Massad Ayoob: Topless Review

I have purchased support-side holsters for my carry guns, but I haven't trained with those holsters yet as much as I'd like.

VIP Member
    I have a weak side holster for my BUG but I'll admit, I need a lot more practice shooting with my off hand!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I always have a weak side backup gun in a pocket holster. I have my strong side gun on my hip.

I always shoot with my weak hand (single hand) for my backup gun 80% of the time and switch it to strong side shooting the other 20%.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

While a BUG on the support side is a great idea, it is not always practiced. I always carry two handguns while on duty. Off-duty, I usually carry only one. I practice drawing from my strong side holster w/ my support hand. This will not work for those challenged in the area of circumference.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I went through this last winter when I injured my strong arm. I appreciated my AKJ Concealco IWB. I switched it over to lefty for the needed duration.

I preach weak hand training to students. It's challenging to put it into practice though.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Being that I'm left handed, I have been known to purchase a few right handed holsters because they were a good deal or too nice to pass up. I recently sold a rather large carton full at a garage sale and still have more than fit in one drawer. I occassionally carry on my weak side because I only have a right-handed holster for the gun I want to use. Luckily, I can draw and shoot about as good with either hand and many times I carry a BUG on my weak side. My biggest concern as I get older is a tendency to drop things as I have pretty severe ostioarthritis in most of my joints, including my hands. I've already had my right hip replaced and will most likely get the left one done in the fall. And then there's my shoulders, back and toes. I'm thinking Robo-CCW'er

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have left and right holsters for my P229s, SP101s, 1911s, and single action revolvers. During the time I routinely toted two SP101s concealed, I routinely carried them in left and right Milt Sparks PMK holsters.

FWIW, I am left-handed, but right-armed. It has always felt quite natural to draw right-handed, and my right arm/hand used to be stronger, before afflictions acquired along the way changed that, but I normally carry "primary" on the right hip, and "secondary" in another place, accessible to the left hand.

Very early on, I took to heart Mas Ayoob's recommendation to train both left and right, and have left and right holsters. This subsequently paid off, when my right wrist periodically spent some time in a CTS splint.

Interestingly, my right hand's issues have not caused me to go to lefty carry, but reinforced right-side carry. Unless a splint is in place, I can still grip and fire my P229 duty/carry pistols just fine in my right hand. If I shoot a P229 lefty, however, working the slide with my now-weaker right hand can be problematic. I also get a small bonus at reload time in that my more-dextrous left hand is inserting magazines, especially if a "tactical" reload is being performed, which requires manipulating two magazines.

Links