CC with a suit?

This is a discussion on CC with a suit? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to unfortunate circumstances, I've had to run out and buy a new suit to wear to a funeral. The funeral is in another state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC with a suit?

CC with a suit?

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I've had to run out and buy a new suit to wear to a funeral. The funeral is in another state where I can not take my firearm but it got me thinking about holster options for when and where I would be able to CC while wearing a suit. I'm pretty tall and probably most accurately described as "barrel chested". As such, I don't wear a belt with my suits, just suspenders for maximum support and comfort.

I would think wearing a shoulder holster would be most appropriate but would also tend to think that it would interfere with the suspenders. Anyone else in a similar situation? I'd be interested in what works and doesn't work. An ankle holster just doesn't seem comfortable to me, though I've never tried. I normally carry IWB but without a belt for support I think all I'd do is ruin a good pair of suit pants.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    What are you carrying? Would pocket carry work? What about something like a 5.11 holster undershirt? Just have a couple of buttons on your dress shirt have velcro behind them (instead of actually using the button) so you can get to your gun more easily if needed.

Personally I wouldn't wear IWB or shoulder holster with a suit because you have to rely on your coat to remain concealed, and I want the freedom to unbutton or take off my coat as the situation often calls for. I know some people will carry IWB with a tucked in shirt but you can't do that without showing belt straps which is pretty obvious to anyone who knows what to look for. I also wouldn't pocket carry because that would be easy to spot in modern suit pants (unpleated). So, in my opinion, this reduces your options to smartcarry and ankle holster...you should probably at least try ankle holster before you eliminate it, I know it would be my first choice.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

My EDC is a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro, or less frequently a Ruger SP101 2" 357. Both might be candidates for pocket carry. I was also thinking with a shoulder holster rig I'd be able to carry my G17. I've seen the 5.11 holster undershirt before but didn't think they had them in my size.. a quick look at their website says otherwise so maybe I'll have to take a closer look.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

When I ware a suit, I pocket carry my P3AT in right front pocket in a Uncle Mikes #1 pocket holster that I have cut to allow for a extra mag to be carried, this makes what every printing that does occur to look like a wallet or something in my pocket.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sentioch,

Definitely makes sense... didn't think about taking my coat off for the car ride etc, though I would rarely take off my coat once I'm at my destination anyway since I'd only ever be wearing a suit in rather formal occasions. No pleats on my new suits just purchased so I'll have to toss in my guns to see how they print. I think that leaves me with smartcarry or the aforementioned undershirt, as I really can't see an ankle holster being something I could stand as I don't even like the feeling of a thick pair of athletic socks.
    Ron Paul.

I understand the interest in not carrying IWB when wearing a suit.

Though, when I wear a suit I carry OWB and use the jacket for concealment. A tight paddle holster works well under the jacket, and it's easy on and off when I'm in the cary. I generally carry a Glock 23.
    Knowing is half the battle.

CC with a suit?

Shoulder holster, IWB, OWB are all good options....go with what works for you. For me, I've gone with either the OWB and IWB.

When carrying IWB, I've taken off my jacket--and most times people haven't noticed the P229...so I'm not worried about people seeing straps on a belt from a tucked IWB holster.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Personal experience on this one. I utilize a shoulder rig or an IWB at around 4oclock - 5oclock position (If Im driving I move the IWB to 230ish/3ish). However, I have also used an OWB in a suit around 3-330, but the shoulder rig usually conceals best(if I actually need to conceal that is). Also I usually do not take off my jacket but often it is unbuttoned, so I dont worry about is being seen

Just let me point out, I OC more than CC. If I'm in a suit, its for a wedding,job interview, funeral, in other words something of importance. Depending on who will be around defines if I conceal or not.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I CC daily in a suit. I would not go with anything drastically different, as far as position of the holster, than what you are used to carrying or training with. In other words, I would not go with a shoulder or ankle rig unless you've thoroughly trained with it and are familiar with it. Sure, anyone can throw one on and accomplish covert/concealed carry with minimal effort, but both take considerable practice to utilize properly. Just my opinion (for what it's worth) and experience with them.

So, if you are used to wearing a belt with a IWB, I would do that with a suit, too. First of all, you'll only be doing a short time. A little discomfort should not be an issue in order to do things right when it comes to this. Secondly, it is not odd or unusual for me to see guys in my business wear a belt with suspenders. They don't need to cinch the belt quite as tight to hold up their pants but it still provides ample purchase for their holster. They actually get the best of both worlds.

On a side note, something to keep in mind, you tend to get hugged a lot at funerals. Shoulder holsters aren't really what I would consider "funeral friendly" in that respect.

I guess what I'm saying is KISS; go with what you already know since you don't have time to get up to speed on something different.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    IWB works well with my 1911; alternately, I carry my TCP in a pocket holster. Either one works great with a suit. I would suggest using a decent tailor and bringing the firearm and holster you will be using with you, whatever you decide. That way they can fit the suit to you with the firearm.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    I just did this yesterday to a wedding.
    I used my K-tec P11 with a clip in the SOB. I would also not hesitate to wear my M&P9c in the clip on IWB holster either.

Can anyone tell me what a benefit of a doubt is really worth?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I've got the 5.11 holster shirt. I like it, but it's hot. I can't wear it from late April to November. Of course, your climate may vary

I roll with IWB, even in a suit. I've got a SuperTuck, so if I want to remove my jacket, I just tuck over the holster.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

CC with a suit?
    I hate wearing suits. Matter of fact, I consider myself lucky to not have worn one since my best friend's funeral four years ago. Thing is, knowing what I do now and with several years of carry under my belt (no pun intended), a suit would be a haven for CC. If I was to wear a suit tomorrow for any occasion, I figure I could CC four or five with proper gear not to mention what I've learned by watching Bruce Willis and his humble application of duct tape. The three piece suit and carrying anything is just so versatile and accommodating to my thinking. I could carry a Desert Eagle in a three piece suit if I had one and wanted to!
    Change the way you think on carrying because you'll be changing the way you dress. This is an opportunity for you to experiment and come out learning more than you might think. OWB might not always be the best.....what if you need to remove your jacket? Suffer in heat with a shoulder rig and leave your jacket on. IWB with dress white shirt? Printing might not be an issue, but a silhouette might be with thin material. An undershirt maybe? SOB or appendix might do the trick. Think of every possible situation you might be in. Nothing wrong with wearing a good supporting belt in a suit. I hear High Noon has some awesome exotic belts that might be good to go with the attire. Think smarter and not harder on this one. A three piece suit makes it all that much easier from the get go in my opinion. By the way....all of my previously owned three piece suits were bought specifically for special occasions on an emergency basis. Some of those I've had to piece together myself on rather short notice or in a day's time. Not much one for suits, but I'm all for carry, and carry I will wherever I can with whatever I'm wearing no matter what. You'll find it, and you'll get there on your own and knowing I'm wishing you the best on it.

I CC in a suit everyday for work.

I use an tuckable IWB holster, but you don't wear belts. (Heresy with a suit!)

Shoulder holster is good, but unless you get the suit tailored to fit the holster and you, then you'll most likely end up printing. Some folks get away with it by using a smaller gun/holster combo.

You may want to look at the SmartCarry as well. It is a good option for me when I wear an all-white shirt (my G30 is tucked usually).

Pocket carry of a solid .380 or similar gun is a valid option as well. Again however, you might want to wear a belt with this option as the weight will drag on one side of the pants.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about the funeral...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links