Defensive Carry banner

Custom Kydex Holster Question, Interior?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mharsh 
#1 ·
Greetings all. I am in am "Newbie" and in search for some info.
I have decided to make my own Kydex Holster. I have read all the blogs, threads, websites. So I understand 98% of making it.
Some ask, why make your own? Just buy it from a professional holster maker. That would be nice.... But there are only THREE manufactures that make holsters for my pistol (H&K MK23). Wilcox stopped making them ten years ago, Blackhawk stopped making them (and they were nylon crap anyway). Safariland makes a nice one, but it is for the pistol ONLY! Not with attachments (Laser/Light), no custom work.
I have contacted many "Custom" Kydex Holster manufactures about making one for my pistol. Either I get no response, or a price up over $300.
I own several Safariland holsters and love their design.
---- My question is Safariland has a suede interior to protect the pistol. I want to do the same for my homemade holster. Has anyone done this? Or know how it is done? Is it glued to the plastic prior to heating? I have an expensive pistol, and I don't want it to get worn from the holster, and I want to make extra effort for an awesome holster. Believe it or not, you can buy Safariland holster parts from Opticplanet. The level III thumb break (SLS), thumb hood, ect...
Anyone attempt this suede lining?
Thanks, Mharsh

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting... I'll be following this thread... I made one holster already, turned out fair, but still need to get dirty and really start learning good techniques...

I'd imagine that you would have to glue it somehow to the inside before shaping. Try to find a Rings Blue Gun to use for the shaping without damaging your pistola...

#3 ·
I would guess gluing the interior last. You need to heat the kydex to mold it . Seems the interior would have to stick and curve with the kydex.

#6 ·
Thank you!

Thanks for the comments. I am not concerned about dirt or moister. I plan to have the barrel protruding at the bottom. (I have the flash suppressor) And I don't want to sound "Cocky", but it is the H&K MK23. Dirt and moister will not effect the pistol. Plus I have many deployments with the Safariland model, I simply was out the holster with water, let it dry. Never had any issues with the interior.
If you study the Safailand SLS holster line, it is folded over on to itself. Like a Tri-fold wallet. My planned method for heating the kydex was a toaster oven. But was thinking that if I have to glue the suede first, this would be bad for the suede. Also thinking ahead.... By trying to put the suede in to the holster after it has been molded would cause headache. Gluing, moving it into position, setting it where you want it. Not to mention it will take up more space than originally molded for.
I guess I will have to explore this with trial and error. Cut out template with a manila folder. Cut kydex to size. Glue suede in place, then use a heat gun. Mold to gun and accessories. Assuring space for accessories, sights so that it can be taken out of holster without problems. Rivet together. Add drop leg holster and Safariland's SLS system. If I screw it up, I am only out around $30. That's fair in my book. I will look for a "Blue Gun", but I am sure it will be hard to find for my model.
Again thank you all for your in put.
Mharsh

#7 ·
Here's how I would tackle it. Simply mold the gun with the suede covering it so that it's dimensions are already taken into account before gluing it in. It shouldn't be that hard to glue in since you can pretty much coat one side of the suede with adhesive and then shove it into the holster. You can then use the gun to keep the suede in place and touching the kydex till it's dry. Then trim off the excess suede.

#8 ·
Well good luck with that. Usually the best way to avoid any holster wear on your gun is to avoiid putting it in a holster in the first place. I understand about it being expensive and all, but if you carry it expect to have some kind of wear on it eventually. Like a scratch or ding on a new car, drive it on the public roadways and eventually it will happen.

#10 ·
I have never made a kydex holster, but I think the best thing to do is to glue the lining first then mold! just my .02 though...

#11 ·
$.02

Leather wears the finish just as much if not more than Kydex. They just wear in different spots.

I do not offer the lining as a standard option but have made several lined holsters at customers' request.
I use 3M spray contact adhesive #80, available at Lowes or Home Depot. Use a fairly thin piece of garment leather and apply it to the Kydex pre-forming following the 3M instructions for use. Allow the glue up to cure for 24 hours. Then form and finish your holster as planned. You may need to heat the Kydex a bit longer(not at a higher temp) to make allowance for the heat sink of the leather.

Good luck and have fun with the project!

#12 ·
Thank you to everyone. I think I have enough information on this project. I did Find the Rings Blue Gun online. Luvmy40 advised me to order the blue gun without the final coating finish!
I have several weeks before all my supplies and material arrive. so I have plenty of time to plan this out correctly.
For history and information aspect, I will take pictures of the process and post them here. But all in due time.
Thank you again. Mharsh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.