Pocket Holsters - Comparison of 2

This is a discussion on Pocket Holsters - Comparison of 2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying my S&W 642 in a Desantis Super Fly for a while and I find this a comfortable mode of carry. I ...

Thread: Pocket Holsters - Comparison of 2

VIP Member

I have been carrying my S&W 642 in a Desantis Super Fly for a while and I find this a comfortable mode of carry. I just got my Ross Leather pocket holster for my PT145 Pro and am impressed.

The overall size of the S&W gun and holster combo is:
    H - 5.5
    L - 6.9375 - (the Hogue grips add greatly to the shooting pleasure, but are about 0.5" longer than the stock grips.)
    W - 1.5625

The overall size of the PT145 Pro gun and holster combo is:
    H - 5.75
    L - 6.875
    W - 1.4375

The Ross holster is smooth leather inside and rough on the outside. The Super Fly is sticky rubber on the outside and nylon on the inside. The draw techique is different with the Super Fly drawing forward (basically scraping the holster off by rubbing the sights on your pocket edge) and the holster falls away. The Ross you flick the holster down with your middle finger while drawing and it falls away. With a little practice, both work well and are easy to draw.

The PT145 Pro conceals better in my pocket because it is all the same width. The 642 is thicker at the cylinder and thinner at the barrel and handle. This looks less like a wallet or notebook, but the flap on the Super Fly does a good job of flattening out the gun's profile.

I don't feel under armed with either gun, but it is nice to have 11 .45 rounds ready to go without a reload in an easy to conceal platform. I know, let the flames begin - its a Taurus!!! FWIW, this particular gun has 500 error-free rounds through it and both mags have proven out.

It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

When I was pocket carrying my PT145 (before I got the Kahr PM9), I did so in a High Noon Pocket Grabber. Very comfortable, or as much as a gun that size can be in a pocket, and the retention is excellent.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I'm looking into a pocket carry for my PT140 This looks like a good holster.

And like you I like my PT, it has hundreds or rounds w/o a single problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    I'm looking into a pocket carry for my PT140 This looks like a good holster.

And like you I like my PT, it has hundreds or rounds w/o a single problem.
    I like it. It took me a few minutes to figure the best way to unholster and draw, but if you use your middle finger along the bottom of the trigger guard, you just push the holster off. I broke mine in by wrapping the gun in wax paper - 2 layers. I then holster and unholster the gun several times. Leaving it wrapped, I stored the gun in the holster for 24 hours then holstered and unholstered with the wax paper still there. This does 2 things. First, the extra width of the paper gives the holster a bit more girth to expand over. Second the wax comes off and coats the smooth inside of the holster and makes the draw easier.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links