Velcro issues with MTAC on Beltman

This is a discussion on Velcro issues with MTAC on Beltman within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an MTAC for my PPS. It came with the standard clips, and I got the V Clips (Velcro) too. I am quite happy ...

Thread: Velcro issues with MTAC on Beltman

I have an MTAC for my PPS. It came with the standard clips, and I got the V Clips (Velcro) too. I am quite happy with it.

~3 weeks back (the beginning of June) I finally received my Beltman horsehide belt with inside Velcro and put the two together. Very nice, good workmanship.

However...

Initially the V Clips held to the belt like they were welded, which was actually a pain when taking the holster off -- it required a lot of prying and was nigh-on impossible to do while still wearing the belt.

They then loosened up a bit, then a bit more, and now one just sort of slips loose.

-- Note: this is with ~3 weeks use, probably with 5 apply/remove cycles during a 7-day week.

The loop Velcro on my ($80!!) Beltman is now looking a bit shredded in the two spots where the V Clips attach, and will barely hold the standard Velcro hook tape. While the industrial-strength V Clips seem to be only slightly less 'sticky' when applied to a new strip of Velcro loop.

I have not yet done so, but I’ll be contacting both companies.

My take (looking for validation, here) is that the MTAC V Clip hook Velcro is a bit too strong or possibly made from a product not really intended for multiple on/off cycles, or that the Velcro loop on the belt is too weak...

Anyone else seen similar issues?
    Last edited by gdkenoyer; June 28th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

If the Beltman velcro is looking shredded, that's where I'd focus my complaints.

It may be a combination of the two...

Comp-Tac replied promptly and let me know that a similar issue was reported to them and is being discussed on the GlockTalk forum.

Try the V-clips that Tucker Gunleather sells. They are thinner and seem like the old style MTAC V-clips.

My only caution is that you only have the spacing of the third hole on the MTAC on the Tucker clips- and its an adjustable semi circle of a hole.
    Last edited by Winston Smit; July 1st, 2010 at 07:20 PM.

I went to the Tucker Gun Leather site. It's a bit irritating that most of their clips have 3 to 4 holes for adjustment, but the Velcro ones have only two...

On other news...

I received a call from Jim Speidel (aka The Beltman). He is quite concerned about this, and has been trying to get in contact with the Comp-Tac folks (at least one of which he's worked with in the past) but has yet to get a callback.

He, too, had noticed that the current V Clips were way too hard to remove once they had been attached to the belt Velcro. (note my comment in the OP "held like they were welded" and the post in Glock Talk: "took a major effort to pull them apart")

I've emailed Comp-Tac that I am intending to swap my current V Clips for their replacements. Hoping that the Velcro loop on my belt is not too damaged....

gdkenoyer
    Colorado Springs CO

Links