Re: Brommeland: Just wondering

This is a discussion on Re: Brommeland: Just wondering within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has brommeland gunleather overcome their issues? has anyone ordered from them recently?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Brommeland: Just wondering

Exclamation Re: Brommeland: Just wondering

has brommeland gunleather overcome their issues? has anyone ordered from them recently?
    Last edited by JD; June 29th, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Better served as it's own thread.

2. Remove Ads

I just spoke to Gary Brommeland a few days ago. I carry in his gear pretty much every day. I'm expecting delivery of a Max-Con V and a mag pouch for a Kahr K-9 in the next few days, and they have been on order for many months. However, I've repeatedly told him that there is no rush, and he's put things ahead of my order as a result, with my blessing. Gary has overcome the problems that began when the plant from which he ordered his leather bellied up, but the backlog is still pretty crushing, I think. He's working feverishly to catch up, but I'd still not expect very fast turnaround. The good news is that the last couple of holsters I've seen from his shop were of absolutely stellar quality; it's always been good, but these are works of art at a Mitch Rosen level. Lately, there have been several of his holsters and mag pouches showing up on Gunbroker, and you'll occasionally see some on fleabay. What were you needing?

FYI: Rhome Desbiens was mentored by Gary, and produces designs very similar to Brommeland's. He's not as well known, so turnaround is faster. I have one of his Covert Badger Reload rigs, and am about to order another. He's doing great work. http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/

Distinguished Member
    I ordered a Max from him and received it in about 6 weeks, that was 2 weeks longer than I was told, but to his defense there was a bad snow storm slowing everything down. He was easy to get in touch with and called me when it was shipped.

VIP Member
    You might have to wait longer than expected but Gary is one heck of a good guy and he will deliver. Once you have one of his holsters you won't even remember the wait!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Max Con V is the best 1911 holster I own. Was able to buy one off the shelf several years ago. I would not be bothered by waiting 6 or 8 weeks for one.

Yes,I agree, His holsters are some of the best I have ever used I carry my Wilson combat 5"CQB railed in one of his IWB holsters and I am very pleased with his leather. I just ordered a OWB holster from him and was told " within 6 weeks",then joined here and read the where is my holster thread. most of the posts regarding his company were older posts so I am hopeful I will receive what I paid for in a reasonable amount of time.I guess all I can do at this point is wait and see what happens.I will admit the holster should be worth the wait.

I have the Max Con V for my XD9sc. Best holster I own. I'm definitely wanting one of his OWB Def Con's for my G-23. I've been patiently waiting to hear news on his back log.

I was so lucky when I got my Max Con because I got it when Coal Creek Armory were carrying his line and it was in stock. I got it 5 days from time of order.

I'm well aware that won't be happening when I order the Def Con. I'm bracing now for the wait, and I haven't even ordered yet.

But his rigs are primo!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm not sure what information I have missed. Gary has religiously used Hermann Oak leather. They're still in business.

What tannery closed?
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

The only tannery that closed that we know of in the past few years was Westfield Tannery. I think 5 to 7 years ago, 2005 sounds right. They were top shelf for shoulders and backs etc etc. A real nice product. That company was in bussnisess for about 75 years maybe longer.

At one point the employees bought the company but from what we were told, the banks had a big hand in the closing. (not sure how true that is) Anyway with all the leather suppliers out there, their should have been no problem finding another supplier quickly.

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm about to say something I'll probably be slammed for but first...

I had a Maxcon holster and it was VERY VERY good and I believe Gary is a great guy, however, I think his holsters may be a bit over priced. I believe there are a number of holsters every bit their equal or better for a bit less less money. I also found the thin construction of the Maxcon to be a strong point but I felt the straps were a bit thin and narrow as well.

I personally found the holsters from HBE leatherworks to be as good if not slightly better for a bit less and with shorter lead times. Especially their COM III holster.

I'd at least consider HBE and then pick the one you like the best, both are good companies and both have had issues in the past but in the end they both treated me well. I also think UBG holsters is up and coming along with some others and if you're on a budget but want a very very nice holster, AKJ Concealco makes an IWB for $78 that is a fantastic holster.

God Bless
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; July 1st, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Gary and I are still in touch with one another and he is doing fine and still making beautiful holsters. Yes, it's true that I consider Gary my mentor, I'm lucky because he is a hell of of holster maker ! He has one of the most critical eye's for perfection and quality I have ever seen which is why he ( I believe anyway ) sent back so much leather. That problem has since been resolved. Because of Gary's critical eye for detail is why, when you receive a holster from him it is the some of the best quality money can buy.

I think there are many great holster makers out there and we all have our own unique problems but I think the one's who resolve those problems and keep producing beautiful, functional leather are the Great ones !

Best regards,
    Rhome
    DGL
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Hey, Rhome, good to see you here! I still plan on ordering that Badger Reload for the PM-9, but I'm waiting until I get my Max-Con from Gary. Should be soon.

Ordered from him once. Won't go thru that again.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm about to say something I'll probably be slammed for but first...

I had a Maxcon holster and it was VERY VERY good and I believe Gary is a great guy, however, I think his holsters may be a bit over priced. I believe there are a number of holsters every bit their equal or better for a bit less less money. I also found the thin construction of the Maxcon to be a strong point but I felt the straps were a bit thin and narrow as well.

I personally found the holsters from HBE leatherworks to be as good if not slightly better for a bit less and with shorter lead times. Especially their COM III holster.

I'd at least consider HBE and then pick the one you like the best, both are good companies and both have had issues in the past but in the end they both treated me well. I also think UBG holsters is up and coming along with some others and if you're on a budget but want a very very nice holster, AKJ Concealco makes an IWB for $78 that is a fantastic holster.

God Bless
    Gideon
    I had a Max Con V and sold it on here. The quality was outstanding. In fact, it was as good as any leather work I've ever seen.

But having said that, there were a few things I didn't like about it:

1. The cant angle pretty much forced me to wear it at around 5:30 or so to be comfortable. Granted, everyone's build is somewhat different but I get my best concealment from about 3:00 to 4:30, tops.

2. It was slick all over. In fact, I found it to be a bit sweaty.

3. I thought it was a bit tough to reholster while wearing it. I prefer a reinforced mouth on a holster.

4. I prefer clips over straps.

So with all things considered, it just didn't work for me.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I ordered from Gary once. Never again. After all the delays, phone calls, excuses, e-mails, I finally got my holster about 10 months late. Then the quality was no better than Milt Sparks, etc. And the price was too high for what I got.

I hope for anyone who orders from him that he has his act together this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links